Gibson Brands Forums

can't decide

LynyrdSkynyrd-14

o.k i have a problem these pick-up chocies will dicide on what guitar i will get can you help. the pick-up chocies are 490 @ 498 or burestbucker-pro v. what do combation i should get. lp studio/ faded vintage lp. THanks

It was a Melody Maker just a moment ago.

Why don't you go to your local GC, once you've sorted out your budget, and play lots of guitars. Not necessarily Gibsons. Then decide, based on how they feel to you and what they sound like to you.

I really don't think anyone here can help you because you don't really have a problem.

Hey Skynyrd, what sounds good to me might not sound good to you. You live in Florida - there must be a guitar shop nearby? Why don't you just go down, play them and hear the difference. I have both pup combos and they sound very different.

That guitar in your avatar, what is that? I'm guessing it's a Classic, 496/500. How does it sound?

I prefer the BBPros. I made that decision after playing several different guitars with various pickup configurations.

I know it can be more difficult for you @14 to get some one to take you to the guitar store so you can check, but it would be best if you could try out a couple and see which tone fits your style better. In fact, that is the very thing that settled me on the Standard I bought.

Hope this helps, my young Skynyrd fan friend O:)

BTW... aren't you headed to their show this wekend???

It was a Melody Maker just a moment ago.

Why don't you go to your local GC' date=' once you've sorted out your budget, and play lots of guitars. Not necessarily Gibsons. Then decide, based on how they feel to you and what they sound like to you.

I really don't think anyone here can help you because you don't really have a problem.

[/quote'] GC is kinda far and with gas down hear 4.04$ my mom always says no. what made me change my mind "again"](*,) is because i saw SKYNYRD last night and Gary Rossingiton use burestbuckers.

Hey Skynyrd' date=' what sounds good to me might not sound good to you. You live in Florida - there must be a guitar shop nearby? Why don't you just go down, play them and hear the difference. I have both pup combos and they sound very different.

That guitar in your avatar, what is that? I'm guessing it's a Classic, 496/500. How does it sound?[/quote'] its not its a epi with 490s in it sorry gibson guys But i have i job and i can make payments WOHO!

Skynyrd, are you actually buying a guitar, or are you just throwing random questions out there 'cause you have nothing better to do?

If you're looking at buying a guitar with either BB Pro or 490/498 pups, that means you're in Gibson territory, minimum $800 - $1,000, but your mom won't drive you to a GC because gas is $4 a gallon? Does that sound right to anybody else?

Clearly you or your family has money, otherwise a Gibson Les Paul would be out of the question.

Don't want to sound too much like your dad but I'd save until I had at least a 50% downpayment towards a guitar. That way, it's less likely to end in tears if the summer job goes pear-shaped. Always be prepared for the curved ball that life throws at you time to time, or at least know what your liabilities are whenever you take out a credit agreement.

Now that we know your situation is not critical, could you kindly relax a bit and read some reviews at Harmony Central? It'll save us from being over loaded by the direct-to-forum thought processes going on in your head!

Enjoy your summer job and don't spend your hard earned dosh on alcohol, drugs or women! In the autumn you'll be ready to decide on a guitar.

I'm happy to help answer sincere questions, so when you are ready to buy please ask if you are still uncertain. Until then, pop it into neutral on the postings and do some research. It really couldn't be easier these days. Say after me, "Google is my friend".

$175.00 x 5weeks= $875.00

Save up and pay cash. Heck, you might even get a better deal. It's not like Lynyrd Skynyrd needs you to play anytime in the forseeable future. You might want to see if you can work a deal with your folks to cover the taxes if you show the maturity to raise (and hold onto) the $800.00....

And for the record, parents are like that sometimes when it comes to carrying around their kids. I have kids, I see it all the time. Just let your Mom know you want to go guitar shopping and let her work you into her schedule. (By the way, it helps a LOT if you are, shall we say, extra helpful around the house....)

Lastly, don't let the nay-sayers get you down. It's easy to bust on a kid, and you've been told all your life to ask questions if you have them. But get ready... what some of these folks are rather harshly trying to prepare you for is life after living at home. Trust me... learning to rely on yourself and not others will be the BEST skill you can acquire.

Good luck and keep jamming! You never know... you could be a Skynyrd guitar player in 10 years :P

Lastly' date=' don't let the nay-sayers get you down. It's easy to bust on a kid, and you've been told all your life to ask questions if you have them. But get ready... what some of these folks are rather harshly trying to prepare you for is life after living at home. Trust me... learning to rely on yourself and not others will be the BEST skill you can acquire.[/quote']

Agree except for the trying to prepare part, I think it's more an issue of patience. Honestly, there are plenty of questions that get posted here by more than just one person that I find either annoying or stupid or just plain lazy because the person didn't bother to even try a web search but, rather than come down on them, I just move on to the next thread.

LynyrdSkynyrd is a young guy and he's pretty excited about getting a Gibson so, naturally, he wants to learn more and have some discussion about it; it's probably the last part as to why he posts a lot of questions rather than referring to Google and I think that's fair enough since this *is* a board about Gibson Les Pauls. If nothing else, it's a lot more interesting than having the 10,000th post about which Gibson pickups to swap into somebody's LP as if it makes some sort of dramatic difference or, my favorite, somebody asks which amp to buy, doesn't even say what style of music they're into, and gets a bunch of suggestions for Marshall or whatever and not one person even asks what sort of tone the guy is looking to get.

you are in west palm beach arent you? theres three good stores there AND a guitar center... i think i remember a samash around there but i wouldnt buy from them...

the vintage mahogany is a good choice if you are starting with gibson... the sg faded too, but i think if you are starting with gibson you need to get a lester first.

i saw SKYNYRD last night and Gary Rossingiton use burestbuckers.

I'm a Jimmy Page wanna-be. I can nail his tone any time I want to............

but

I usually play with JESSE COSTA tone

and my tone is better then Jimmy's IMO

cuz you can feel it in your gut

If nothing else' date=' it's a lot more interesting than having the 10,000th post about which Gibson pickups to swap into somebody's LP as if it makes some sort of dramatic difference or, my favorite, somebody asks which amp to buy, doesn't even say what style of music they're into, and gets a bunch of suggestions for Marshall or whatever and not one person even asks what sort of tone the guy is looking to get.[/quote']

I've been thinking about swapping the pick ups out of my Les Paul - what pick ups do you recommend?

I'm also considering buying a new amp - any recommendations?

I'm a Jimmy Page wanna-be. I can nail his tone any time I want to............

but

I usually play with JESSE COSTA tone

and my tone is better then Jimmy's IMO

cuz you can feel it in your gut

do you smell that? i must have stepped in something.... haha =P~

now im sure some of the youngsters will step in and ask "who the hell is this beavis?" "who did he play with?" "is he like, an 70s/80s guitar hero or something?"... hehehe

indeed hids, and butthead was the singer.

GIBSON LES PAUL

You can't deny Beavis and Butthead ROCKED! Just watch 'em....

:-)

Yeah, they did mostly cover tunes from AC/DC, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest.

Not very tight, but lotsa energy in their "performances" for sure.

:-)

do you smell that? i must have stepped in something.... haha =P~

lol

seriously though, the song remains the same

dazed and confused, rock and roll, no quarter, stairway, whole lotta love, heartbreaker ........

ummmm

what other songs i cant remember, but i can nail the tone pretty dead on

Archived