Gibson Brands Forums

This is how kids have fun now... No more baseball

daveinspain

My senior year, I remember winning the school talent show when my band and I performed Thin Lizzy's "Cowboy Song" and "The Boys Are Back in Town." Fast forward to last year. At my kids high school, the winners of the school talent show were 2 kids who rolled a TV onto the stage and "performed" a song on Guitar Hero.

Some things are just wrong.[biggrin]

I can do the fingering but my problem is the picking hand I still try to play the tune at the real beat it was originally played on the right hand so I usually get boo'd about a minute into the song. But its not from fingering errors but from the error from the picking hang going to fast. Then if I increase the level the fingering hand starts getting sloppy and the notes are dead on... lol I guess I will stay with the real thing; least I might be half way decent.

+1, I suck at that game, I used to be decent until I started playing guitar seriously... go figure.

The drumming on rock band isn't terrible though

I was great at it because that was all i played before i got real guitars. In fact, i'm glad that guitar hero came out because that's the only thing that sparked an interest in music for me and led me to pick up a real guitar. It's good to inspire kids, but at some point they need to just take the next big step instead of wasting their lives playing a plastic guitar.

My senior year' date=' I remember winning the school talent show when my band and I performed Thin Lizzy's "Cowboy Song" and "The Boys Are Back in Town." Fast forward to last year. At my kids high school, the winners of the school talent show were 2 kids who rolled a TV onto the stage and "performed" a song on Guitar Hero.

Some things are just wrong.[-(

[/quote']

#-o:-k[bored][biggrin][blink] Terrible; cant believe that would win in a TALENT show... +1 on Thin Lizzy though [cool]

First off, kids don't play baseball anymore because baseball is boring, and when all you had back in the day was a stick and a ball well, you made due.

Second, Parents are the problem, not video games, or tv or internet, if you don't want your child on it 24/7 at home then be a parent and take it away from them for periods, it's a reward not a right.

Third, the game in question here is not the blight on the music community everyone makes it out to be. No one plays that game and thinks, gee, if I'm this good pressing buttons I must be able to do the real thing! And even if they DO think that, as soon as they pick up a guitar they'll see they can't (but maybe they'll be inspired to take lessons to learn)

I'm surprised that people can't consistently hate on this game in the forums, if you don't like it don't talk about it. These games are fun when you're with people who aren't musically inclined but are willing to play along in a cooperative manner. They're not even that popular anymore, rythym games enjoy cycles of popularity, like Dance Dance Revolution when it first came out, it wasn't Dancing, it was a ryhtym game themed around techno music, people didn't think it made them dancers, it was just good foot/eye coordination.

I can do the fingering but my problem is the picking hand I still try to play the tune at the real beat it was originally played on the right hand so I usually get boo'd about a minute into the song. But its not from fingering errors but from the error from the picking hang going to fast. Then if I increase the level the fingering hand starts getting sloppy and the notes are dead on... lol I guess I will stay with the real thing; least I might be half way decent.

That's exactly my problem, my hands want to play it like a real guitar. I tried the drums in Rock Band and had the same problem.

I was great at it because that was all i played before i got real guitars. In fact' date=' i'm glad that guitar hero came out because that's the only thing that sparked an interest in music for me and led me to pick up a real guitar. It's good to inspire kids, but at some point they need to just take the next big step instead of wasting their lives playing a plastic guitar.[/quote']

For the most part, people who play these games are doing it casually. The people who devote hours every day to it are not the majority. If you're playing it casually, who says you even want to play guitar? I play a lot of games, but I don't start doing what I've done in the game in the real world. It's a game. It's not going to replace actual instruments and actual music.

My senior year' date=' I remember winning the school talent show when my band and I performed Thin Lizzy's "Cowboy Song" and "The Boys Are Back in Town." Fast forward to last year. At my kids high school, the winners of the school talent show were 2 kids who rolled a TV onto the stage and "performed" a song on Guitar Hero.

Some things are just wrong.[-(

[/quote']

Yeah, that's just sad. I guess it is good to spark interest in music and expose kids to some classic rock and roll as others have mentioned. But to actually win a TALENT contest playing a video game? Wow. [cool]

+1 as well on the Thin Lizzy. Cowboy Song is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Some things are just wrong.[cool

+1

Therefore my signature line:

Guitars = Chick Magnet

Guitar Hero = Guy Magnet

You do the math.

I kid you not, I had a mother ask me where she could get her kids Guitar Hero lessons. :)

I had a nephew tell me when I asked if he played Guitar Zero, "Why would I want to do that? I can buy a guitar and play the real thing instead."

My sister is a good mother. The kid's going places.

You guys care way too much about this....seriously...

I've been saying it for as long as these games have been around... it's like guitar players think that this game is going to replace playing music... just like Madden NFL replace playing football, or Medal of Honor replaced going to war.

Archived