Gibson Brands Forums

My Les Paul Project guitar.... Pics included

daveinspain

Cookieman; At the time I started the project I was still working and not worried about the price. That being said the whole project did not cost me more than if I had gone out and bought a new Les Paul. It probably cost less and I have all the stuff I wanted on it. The Jimmy Page push pull kit is killer, when I split the coil the guitar screams. Sounds like the bridge pickup with balls...[cool] The 4 lead Seymour Duncan pups are killer too, hand wound in their custom shop to Jimmy's Page's specs. The best part of this project was gathering all the little goodies to make this guitar come to life...

Tman; The gold leaf was the difficult part of the project. I had it done and redone 4 times. There is a process to applying gold leaf that is very meticulous. Gold leaf is very hard to work it's extremely thin and requires lots of practice and experience to get it right. The girl who did the gold leaf was someone I know and does work restoring churches and antiques. She had never done a guitar before but she had the skill to do the job. It was a learning process though. The first attempt came out horrible, the top was all lumpy. She used a paste to cover the entire top of the guitar to fill in the gain so it would come out completely smooth but it wasn't sanded down enough and when the gold leaf was applied all the imperfections jumped out. Then we decided it didn't have to be perfectly smooth. So we sanded it down and started over. the next attempt came out great. So i sent it off to be shot with the nitro. After the nitro was applied a bunch of black spots and finger prints appeared...#-o The guitar sat in the luthiers shop for a long time before getting worked on so we just assumed the guitar was handled a few times and the oil from peoples fingers reacted with the nitro and discolored the gold leaf. Had to remove it and try again. Next time the leafing came out good as well. Everyone who handle the guitar after the leaf was applied used cotton gloves. The Luthier sprayed the nitro right away so I was expecting no problem. I went on vacation and was hoping to pick the guitar up finished when I got back. No luck though...[biggrin] Seems there was a reaction with the glue used to applied the gold leaf and several black lines appeared at the seems where the sheet of the gold leaf met, looked awful...#-o We had to sand it down again and start over. This time we made some test samples first applying the gold leaf using different adhesives, hoping to find one that wouldn't react to the nitro. After discovering that using different adhesives didn't make a difference and the test samples didn't discolor, I said just go for it. So the fourth attempt was what you see now. We went back to the original adhesive and it worked fine... We still don't know what happened, there are many factors which could have caused the discoloration but we got lucky and that was the final attempt...:-

Now there's a guitar that's worth its weight in gold :-. Seriously, great job, it looks like a regular gold top (which I love), but with some sort of flame to it. Awesome!

Now there's a guitar that's worth its weight in gold ;). Seriously' date=' great job, it looks like a regular gold top (which I love), but with some sort of flame to it. Awesome![/quote']

+1, Dave... It really cost less than a new LP? Damn...I've been considering saving up for a 339, then getting a Gold Top. The back of that guitar is gorgeous. The front is amazing, but the back really shines.

Now play the **** out of it :-k

Dave,

Stunning guitar, contemplated doing the same but when I started reading about guilding I desisted.

Is the rest of the guitar refinished or was the nitro applied to the original worn brown color?

I would love to refinish my LPVM one day and I am weighing my options.

The Studio TRC needs to go, a plain cover or a costom one is in order.

Dave' date='

Stunning guitar, contemplated doing the same but when I started reading about guilding I desisted.

Is the rest of the guitar refinished or was the nitro applied to the original worn brown color?

I would love to refinish my LPVM one day and I am weighing my options.

The Studio TRC needs to go, a plain cover or a costom one is in order.[/quote']

The Luthier did use a stain before shooting the nitro, it's a little darker now than what it was. I agree with you about the truss rod cover... I'm looking for something special....

That guitar inspired me and probably a lot of others as well. Is that model a DIS22KGLC1O1OAKLP? Definitely a 1O1OAK. I guess I am inspired... ;) Let me know if you need help decoding the model number. It is a very rare model indeed. :-k

For you truss rod cover - suggestion... DIS22KGLCLP in italics or your favorite font.

Archived