Gibson Brands Forums

Show off your verified Brazillians!

LPCollector

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I'm only asking because I don't know, but are we talking fretboards, or tops? I.E., instead of maple, their rosewood? 'Cuz all the guitars pictured here are gorgeous, my humble goldtop pales in comparison.

Welp, that pretty much summed up what I was asking. That's something goes on Historic, and Custom Shop stuff...out of curiosity, where does it come from on regular production guitars like my goldtop, it's not a big deal, just curious is all. Thanks for that info Admin.

Wouldn't the same serial # mean it's the same instrument?

I'm confused. Are you saying Gibson made more than one guitar with the same serial?

Due to the way the serial numbers are structured for the Reissues' date='

the serial number will repeat itself every ten years.

For instance, lets look at S/N 9 3001

9 = The year the guitar is meant to represent. 9 for 1959. All R9’s start with 9.

3 = The year the guitar is manufactured. 1993, 2003 and 2013 would all have a 3.

001 = The number of the guitar issued in order as it is made, starting with 001 through 999.

If there are more than 999 guitars of that model made in a given year, an extra digit is added, and the S/N would look like this: 931000.[/b']

I've always been a sucker for a Goldtop...where in Ct. are ya? I'm right over here in Westerly R.I.

Southwest CT, near Stamford. I've always tried to keep a Goldtop in the collection. They have a certain understated elegance to them. :)

Southwest CT' date=' near Stamford. I've always tried to keep a Goldtop in the collection. They have a certain understated elegance to them. :)[/quote']

Kool, I grew up in Stonington, now livin' in R.I.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived