Gibson Brands Forums

NGD (pre-flood Honey Burst Studio 50's tribute)- Pic intensive

T Bone

Guys, without further ado, here is Linda Lu. This is the guitar you read about in the 50's Tribute thread that is currently stretched to 25 pages (and growing). Well, it's one of them I should say (and one of two in my area, maybe at some point I can meet up with afireinside, whose HB pics are on page 5 of that thread).

Many thanks to jackbrowning (see page 19 of that thread) for pointing to the one languishing in Sam Ash's warehouse, mostly unknown to their Sales Associates it seems. Anyway, you clicked here to see the pics, not to read me prattling on, so let's get to it!

Hope I've resized the pics okay, the idea is for the thread to be easier to open for all connections (file sizes are small enough I think, not sure about screen size). I'm using a newer less familiar software, and they look the right size on my monitor, but the numbers are bigger than I'm used to using. If they don't fit the screen properly, let me know and I'll make them smaller.

orig.jpg

You can see here how they've "worn" the finish a bit around the edges. Different from the Faded finishes they've done, I sort of like it. Either way, if I'm going to have a "beater" Les Paul, it'll probably be this one.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I like the pointers, a nice touch.

Detail of the worn finish again below.

orig.jpg

Nicely "greened" tuners, the classic head stock. Hate the gig bag (I'd have eventually bought at least one, just to have for convenience, so now I've got it- now to pick her out a decent HSC to spend her rest time in).

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Looks sort of shiny here, but the overall look is not so shiny. Still quite different from the "Faded" finishes.

orig.jpg

Bridge and tail piece seem a bit high to me, but the action is not. I may give the neck a slight straightening tweak and lower them, but maybe not. Thinking of possible slide or dedicated open tuning/slide for around the house too. That bridge pickup does seem a bit high, might screw it down a bit. I'll have to play some more and experiment with the sound to see.

orig.jpg

A smoked cover shows off the orange caps. Not sure why they'd really do that, but it's a semi unique feature (the smoked cover) anyway.

I really need more playing time, but so far, I'm very happy with the guitar (especially if you consider the price). The neck is really phat, club like. Has a great sound, plays well. Oh the name? Strange this, was thinking "Honey Pie" after the Beatles song before she got here. But I already call the Classic Antique "Honey". When I pulled this out of the box/gig-bag for the first time, a quick tuning to the closest string, for some reason the first song that popped up on the fretboard was "Louie Louie". Now I'm sure I've played that song at some point in the past, somewhere, but can't recall doing so. No idea where that came from.

Anyway, didn't think a male name "Louie" (Louis) was suitable for her. Louise was quickly dismissed as too close to Lucile. Linda Lu popped into my head, and that was it. Not all my guitars are named, and I know some think it's stupid. Guess I'm only partly stupid then. [cool] Thanks for reading.

Congrats on the new LP. You will love the P90s.

Thanks' date=' always been a fan of the P 90. Only two Gibsons I've owned before this year had a total of 4 P 90s ('67 Firebird III with three, '57 Les Paul Jr. with one, sadly both long gone). In fact my Classic Antique is the first and only guitar I've even owned with Humbuckers. So far. (Also P 90's in that Robot and has a [i']killer[/i] sound).

Congratulations on your new guitar, and the photos are really good quality, but I really hope that Gibson do not start getting heavily into relicing finishes. I really do not like it.

Congrats, T-Bone.

I noticed alot of the same things you did looking at these, especially how high the bridge was. It was a primary reason why I didn't get an HB way back when. My Ebony is slightly better, but after just spending 3 hrs at my local store - I noticed alot of the LPs were like that. They had a incredible CS Class 5 Orange Tiger - but the bridge was about 1/2 way up the post screws.

I also notice my wear doesn't seem as deep as yours...while the color is worn along the corners, it is not as drastic.

Someone had asked in the other thread about weight - mine weighs in at exactly 8#s, 1 pound less then my new Traditional.

Hate the gig bag (I'd have eventually bought at least one' date=' just to have for convenience, so now I've got it- now to pick her out a decent HSC to spend her rest time in).[/quote']

Yeah, gig bag is awful. I'm just waiting for one of my kids to step on the neck and snap it.

I've got an ebony 50s classic and I'm trying to find a case. Does anyone have experience with Gator cases? I'm thinking of ordering one of these.

Very nice. How many pieces is the back?

I see 2 pieces on my Ebony.

FWIW, I checked my Traditional, can't see a back seam anywhere, which is cool, as my other Trad was 2 piece.

I ended up getting a TKL case - a 7625 - I should have got one when I got the guitar, as I didn't have much of a selection when I grabbed it at a music store by the beach. Works fine of course but it doesn't seem to close perfectly lined-up w/o a little help.

Very nice. How many pieces is the back?

Great question! I spent 10 minutes looking it over last night after reading your question' date=' and still couldn't answer with certainty (and I'm no stranger to wood work... a Carpenter by trade). Really not obvious to me. I just took it into some better light, took my glasses and a Jeweler's Loup. There is one line that very well could be a seam, or it could be a grain line. But looking at the side (end) of the body (just below the rear strap button, running to the neck), the sides seem to be book matched (perfectly I might add) here, so that is probably a joint and that would make it a two piece back. I looked quite closely, and do see some other straight lines, but they never go end to end and the grain always disqualifies them as seams/joints. So I'll say probably two.

Looks great T-Bone! Would you post a youtube review of it? Would love to hear how it sounds.

Hmm... good idea, but I'm not set up for that. And then there'd be the whole issue of the equipment used to record the equipment we'd want to evaluate, and how it affected the overall sound.

TBH, I value You Tube demos very much, and I'm sure I could put together 2-3 minutes of playing I wouldn't be totally embarrassed by ([biggrin] ) but I think I'll leave that to someone else. Not really into exposing myself to the kind of drivel I've seen others pelted with after taking the time/trouble to put up a video for other's benefit (if anyone here in my area is into doing these, I'll be happy to bring the guitar by for a shoot- I can bring other equipment too, so we can have a point of reference).

Congrats' date=' T-Bone...

...Someone had asked in the other thread about weight - mine weighs in at exactly 8#s, 1 pound less then my new Traditional.[/quote']

Thanks. Yeah, the weight, I needed new batteries for my scale. Turns out it won't weigh the guitar by itself anyway (too light), but it measures in 1/10th pound increments and is fairly consistent (on and off several times to verify the same reading each time). Myself holding the guitar, weighs exactly the same as myself holding the Classic Antique (which is also chambered). And those two feel about the same weight in the hand, so I'm gonna say they are very nearly the same weight. According to the eBay ad when I bought the CA, it weighed 7.92 pounds, which sounds about right. So they're both fairly light (especially by Les Paul specs from days of old).

Man ya gotta put your Les Paul in a Gibson case!!

Nothing else will do!

The whole double price for identical gear thing...just for a Gibson logo...I don't know about that one!

Yeah' date=' I hear you. And I do think a quality case from outside the Family may be okay. TKL makes them for Gibson anyway, and there are some others that look okay (not to mention, there are also faked Gibson cases these days, and who wants to deal with that?).

I'm thinking either a tweed case I saw on eBay (the tweed fabric on my Fender cases has always held up really well, seems more abrasion resistant than Tolex), or maybe one of these 2 Kool 4 Skool cases here.

Thanks for all the other comments, and for reading the thread. Played the guitar for a couple of hours today, really liking the feel of it. Played both plugged in and without and amp, enjoyed both quite a bit. Not sure if it's the fat neck or what, but this thing seems to love "vintage" sounds (hey, it is a 50's Tribute after all, isn't it?). Found myself learning the surf classic Pipeline today on it. Really ironic when you consider I've been meaning to learn it, and have 3 Stratocasters just sitting here waiting to play it- and the nod goes to the retro Les Paul! [-( .

I did lower the bridge pickup a touch too, seems fine where it is now.Messed around with a bit of slide in standard tuning (I really am just re-learning slide, or playing guitar for that matter, but I had a lot of fun with it). All in all, a very enjoyable guitar and a great weekend!

Gorgeous guitar man, congrats! I gotta get something with P-90s again and soon (I'm buying a LP Special next weekend but it's one with 490s...those Specials with hums overall remind me of "The Paul" or even the Invader which I like).

I do love the Gibson cases, both the brown & pink ones and the chainsaws but when I play shows I'm not too fond of having a giant logo on it that advertises that there's an expensive guitar in there. I almost bought an old Hondo case for a LP copy once for this very reason. Instead I ended up removing the Gibson Logo from my chainsaw case and using SKB's otherwise. And this might sound crazy but god I love the smell of a good guitar case!

Great question! I spent 10 minutes looking it over last night after reading your question' date=' and still couldn't answer with certainty (and I'm no stranger to wood work... a Carpenter by trade). Really not obvious to me. I just took it into some better light, took my glasses and a Jeweler's Loup. There is one line that very well could be a seam, or it could be a grain line. But looking at the side (end) of the body (just below the rear strap button, running to the neck), the sides seem to be book matched (perfectly I might add) here, so that is probably a joint and that would make it a two piece back. I looked quite closely, and do see some other straight lines, but they never go end to end and the grain always disqualifies them as seams/joints. So I'll say probably two.[/quote']

Man, that sounds nice.

Congrats again T-Bone' date=' is the finish that red in person? I'm in line for a CSB, and I was hoping it was about as red as yours, and not the fire engine red I've seen on some CSB's.

[/quote']Thanks.

No worries, it's not red at all actually. Much more of a golden brown. Look at the pics again, and scroll to the 6th one (close up of the pickup selector). Note that the area by the switch which seems to have a bit of a red hue in the other pics, in the close up is clearly not red. Lighting and (lack of) photography skills here can lead to this perception. I'm sure your CB will be awesome.

Congrats on ur Honeyburst!!When did u reicieve it???

Picked it up from FedEx on Friday, July 23rd. It was sitting in Sam Ash's warehouse as pointed out by jackbrowning, so I snagged it. Compared it to my HB Classic Antique, they make one sweet pair!

Archived