Gibson Brands Forums

J45 vs Southern Jumbo

passthej45

I have a J45 TV and a Southern Jumbo TV. They are braced differently on the back, for sure. I'm sure they both represent how each particular model was braced at some point in time (and perhaps a DIFFERENT point in time if they have always indeed been the same model in different dress), but at THIS point in time, the True Vintage models at least are different.

I have not checked the top.

Red 333

• 5 weeks later...

I have a J45 TV and a Southern Jumbo TV. They are braced differently on the back, for sure. I'm sure they both represent how each particular model was braced at some point in time (and perhaps a DIFFERENT point in time if they have always indeed been the same model in different dress), but at THIS point in time, the True Vintage models at least are different.

I have not checked the top.

Red 333

Something fascinating 'bout having two so alike (there sure is a lot of options not chosen). How is the sound difference ?

It's just cosmetic. There is also neck binding, a different pick guard and a different rosette.

These days it is pretty much bling - not much different under the hood.

But in the 1940s and 1950s there were some differences. Gibson used better lumber on the SJs - particularly the tops which had tighter grain. The old J-45s had a sweet deep low end and were just wide open guitars. The SJs were more detailed and tight sounding.

These days it is pretty much bling - not much different under the hood.

But in the 1940s and 1950s there were some differences. Gibson used better lumber on the SJs - particularly the tops which had tighter grain. The old J-45s had a sweet deep low end and were just wide open guitars. The SJs were more detailed and tight sounding.

Mister zombywoof ~ It's always great to read your statements. In fact your expertise in one of the reasons I joined this jolly forum. I'm still close to being a 'newbe', but allready have a comment of yours on one of my threads. What a flying feeling. . .

Mister zombywoof ~ It's always great to read your statements. In fact your expertise in one of the reasons I joined this jolly forum. I'm still close to being a 'newbe', but allready have a comment of yours on one of my threads. What a flying feeling. . .

I thank you for the kind words but if you consider me as an "expert' ya'll might be in trouble. There are folks on this forum who are a heck of alot more knoweldegable than I am. And I am real biased when it comes to SJs. My favorite Gibson of all time remains my 1950s SJ.

I'll take stab, but describing how guitars sound is so difficult for me. I never feel I have the ability to adequately express what I hear, or do justice to it, especially in light of how eloquent and even poetic some of our forum members are.

First, let me say that both the J-45 TV and the SJ TV are fantastic guitars. Any Gibson lover would be pleased to have either.

That said, there's something magic about the J-45 TV I was fortunate to get (appologies to Gillian Girl). I've often heard guitars like the J200 compared to grand pianos. Well, this particular J-45 TV is the grand piano in my collection of slope shouldered Gibsons (which also includes a red-spruce topped J-35 reissue, an AJ, a short-scale maple AJ, a rosewood J-45 Vine, a J-160E Standard, J-160E Peace, and three MIJ Epiphone Texans, which I consider in the Gibson family by virtue of both their lineagee and their quality). This J-45 TV is clear and strong and balanced in every register, particularly in the bass, and it has great sustain. It's clear as bell when fingerpicked even lightly, and it thunders when strummed hard.

The SJ TV's bass is good and clear, though not as strong, round, or complex; it has less of a deep, reverberating, and authoritive quality. It's top end is smidge less sweet, too. It's sound overall is drier and more percussive, and it likes, or even needs to be driven a little harder. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful guitar. I'm just trying to describe it in contrast to that particular J-45 TV I have.

Remember, the two have some structural differences. The J-45 TV has an adi top and the high, thin braces on the back. The SJ TV has a sitka top and squatter, chunkier braces on the back. I have not looked carefully at the SJ TV's top bracing or location, so only assume its the same as the J45 TV/AJ/J35, but I don't know for a fact. The J-45 is a 2008, and the SJ is a 2009, I believe.

Hope that helps in some way.

Red 333

Several years ago there was a blind test to see if anyone could tell the difference in sound between the SJ and J-45 as both guitars at that time were built the same other then cosmetic. SJ with more " bling". It seems the majority in test found SJ sounded better. Don't remember why.

Dear Red 333 - Thank you for your fine description of the 2 acoustics. It did cast light. I'm new in this forum and on the Gibson-scene as well. Apart from the fact that I owned a squareshouldered J-45 and a sqsh. J-50 (Norlin stuff) when I was a teenager. Been playing Martin ever since, but found that now was the time to cross over. For the experiment anyway. Keep a sqsh. 68 SJ, a brand new J-45 and a 08 AJ here in the room and have tried to dig into them and the rest of the mighty mysterous Gibson universe this summer. It has brought me around. Reading a lot on the net and testing new and secondhand models in shops and private everytime something interesting showed. So as you understand, I swallow every word of knowledge/wisdom like cocoamilk or nice cool lager.

Once again hep for the review - now one can only dream you'ld tell how to treat my - somehow too factorish - Advanced J.

• 8 months later...

Some of the Bozeman SJs Ive played had a flatter neck profile, more like a J185, but I imagine there is some variance

I can confirm this as it was the case with my j-45 HC and my recently sold SJ MC....

[thumbup]

• 9 years later...

I just got my new SJ-45. I wanted an older one but the interest free loan was too good to pass on. So,what do I think?                                                   I absolutely love it. It sounds better than any of the older ones I played and a dang site better than the new one I sent back because it sounded "tinny " and had bookmatched knots in the top and no silking. Not acceptable for a 3g guitar.                 I also have a Alverez Dreadnaught  I purchased in 74( I was  15) for  $165 that has better wood( especially the top)is every bit as great sounding (more of a M sound) yet weighs at least 2 lbs more. Its been played right alongside many other high end guitars that do not start with a G and held its own. It still is my baby despite owning a few others and I would not sell it for any amount.Go figure.             Ah! Back to the southern jumbo. No doubt a fine head turning instrument and I actually paid less than a standard or 50's J45 because of  a sale this time of year. I love the short scale but the strings are a bit close for finger picking. At least my fingers anyway. Still, I am tickled as I can be and am doing my very best to break it in Flat picking and just having a ball doing it. It is a fantastic guitar and I absolutely love it and know its a Gibson from the first strum.

• Like 2

ThanksThanks forty years pickin, it's great to shoot the breeze with my fellow musicians. I think its good therapy as I have spent 3 of the last 5 years having 3 surgeries on my fret hand and then rotator cuff on R shoulder. The last 2 have been rehabing and getting it back. And I have done better  than expected by my Dr.  as well as myself. The down time was excruciating.The thought of not being able to play again was all the motivation I needed to do the brutal rehab(ruptured tendons on ring and middle fingers) My new SJ is my present to myself because at this pont in my life I am my hero.haha.no really!Anyway, The Southern jumbo IMHO is the cats meow and I have wanted one since the first time I laid my eyes on one.a long time ago. I am a happy picker. Great to be a part of the forum.

• Like 1