Gibson Brands Forums

Memorial Day...

matiac

Memorial Day is a United States Federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May (in 2008 on May 26). Formerly known as Decoration Day, it commemorates U.S. men and women who perished while in military service to their country. First enacted to honor Union soldiers of the American Civil War, it was expanded after World War I to include casualties of any war or military action .

Dammit.

Still haven't had time to get my flag hardware mounted on the new house.

My flag is covering half the wall above my desk as I type.

It'll be flying by Veterans Day.

(November 11)

Lotsa military in my family, and my wife's.

My Dad was in 22 years.

I'm actually considering putting a 25 foot flagpole in my front yard.

Damn, they're expensive!

Someday....

I'll steal a line directly out of G&F's initial post.

Have a glorious Memorial Day, and remember, they did it for us.

It's a little late, but yeah, we're lucky for what they've done for us. I went to D.C. today, and don't get me started on how many motor-cyclists there were!

Last year we went to D.C., also. But last year we went to the Arlington National Cemetary. It makes you remember how many people have fought (and died) in wars to protect us. What makes me mad is that alot of people in my town do their normal routines on memorial day and just treat it like it's a completely meaningless holiday, and just an excuse to get a day off.

I hope we've all had good memorial days, just wanted to say what was on my mind.

It's a little late' date=' but yeah, we're lucky for what they've done for us. I went to D.C. today, and don't get me started on how many motor-cyclists there were!

Last year we went to D.C., also. But last year we went to the Arlington National Cemetary. It makes you remember how many people have fought (and died) in wars to protect us. What makes me mad is that alot of people in my town do their normal routines on memorial day and just treat it like it's a completely meaningless holiday, and just an excuse to get a day off.

I hope we've all had good memorial days, just wanted to say what was on my mind.

[/quote']

DC on Memorial Day is truly special. Always a lot happening all over town. I particularly enjoyed hanging out in the Mall area, along the reflecting pool. And I also get frustrated with those who forget, but forgetting (or not caring) is also a privilege our brave service men and women have fought and died for. Unfortunately, too many of those who forget are our elected officials.

Archived