Gibson Brands Forums

J-35... Opinions

GlenBenGurian

Great guitar. Drier and punchier than a std j45. Really shines for old time and rural music, full neck, 1 3/4 nut width, small peghead. Fullers Vintage in Houston commissions reissues from Gibson. Everyone Ive talked t who has one loves em. Old ones start around 8k or therabouts.

vintage (Paul Geremia)

reissue (Frank Fotusky).

Are you referring to the J35 that a memeber at the UMGF responded to your want ad about. ?

I have one of these J35 Fullers reissue. It's hands down the best Montana made Gibson that I've owned or played. All the recent Gibsons I've had, have been a Custom Shop slope shoulders, OJ, AJ and SJ'S. They were all real good guitars but this J35 is the best of the lot. I know this sounds corny but when I'm playing it I forget that it's a new guitar and it seems that I'm playing a mint 1939 J35. It looks, feels and sounds like the real thing as far as my eyes, hands and ears tells me. It has good volume for a short scale guitar, has a big C shaped neck and 1 3/4 inch nut.

If the J35 your offered is as good as mine then I gotta think you'll be real happy.

In my experience, it all depends on the individual guitar. I once owned a Fullers J-35 and ended up trading it back in to Fullers for a National Delphi Vintage Steel (which I still have). As much as I was hoping to, I just never really hit it off with the J-35 and I've never regretted trading it for the National. I far prefer my J-45 TV to that J-35. That doesn't mean that I feel that J-45 TVs are superior. I simply prefer my particular J-45 TV to the J-35 that I owned. I'm sure that I could find other examples of the J-35 that I would prefer to other examples of the J-45 TV.

All the best,

Guth

I far prefer my J-45 TV to that J-35. That doesn't mean that I feel that J-45 TVs are superior. I simply prefer my particular J-45 TV to the J-35 that I owned. Guth

Or, as C. Berry put it, "C'est la vie say the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell."

Great guitar. Drier and punchier than a std j45. Really shines for old time and rural music' date=' full neck, 1 3/4 nut width, small peghead. Fullers Vintage in Houston commissions reissues from Gibson. Everyone Ive talked t who has one loves em. Old ones start around 8k or therabouts.

[/quote']

Spot on description, from my perspective.

I will add that even though it is punchy, it also has terrific sustain. It's a responsive and dynamic guitar that can easily handle both heavy strumming or a sensitive touch.

I've got one, as well as a J45 True Vintage, Southern Jumbo True Vintage, an AJ, a short scale maple AJ, J185 Vine, Rosewood J45 Vine, J160E etc., so I get a chance to compare modern Gibsons (especially the slope models) whenever I can be motivated to open up the cases.

As noted by Guth and others, individual guitars vary, so you're sure to find one of any model that you prefer more than another of the same, but the Fuller's J35 is certainly a guitar that deserves an audition.

Mine (which I bought new from Fullers) had flawless build quality and an equisite small burst. I think they are well-priced, too, considering the average street price of a J45 TV.

Good luck with your decision. Let me know if you have any specific questions that I could answer for you.

Red 333

• 3 months later...

I've owned and primarily play a Gibson Montana J-35 since 1995. At that time, many vintage 35's were not on the market and when they were they were out of my reach. It was a great guitar then and an even better guitar now. Here's a few examples. Hope you enjoy them. - Frank Fotusky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH1MjBmCwzw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3n0hswj3JE

I've owned and primarily play a Gibson Montana J-35 since 1995. At that time, many vintage 35's were not on the market and when they were they were out of my reach. It was a great guitar then and an even better guitar now. Here's a few examples. Hope you enjoy them. - Frank Fotusky

Hi Frank... Thanks for the great music. This is really good stuff. Your playing is wonderful and your vocals are super. Just so you know...I like the guitar but you could make a barbwire fence sound good. I'm inspired and will get my J-45 out for a spin. Thanks for reminding me why I started down the journey so long ago. You are an inspiration. You didn't make a pact with the devil last night did you?

Hi Frank... Thanks for the great music. This is really good stuff. Your playing is wonderful and your vocals are super. Just so you know...I like the guitar but you could make a barbwire fence sound good. I'm inspired and will get my J-45 out for a spin. Thanks for reminding me why I started down the journey so long ago. You are an inspiration. You didn't make a pact with the devil last night did you?

+ 1. Thanks for posting those. Wish you played in my area--looks like a great way to spend the evening.

Welcome to the forum, too.

Red 333

Big Welcom !

+1 great stuff ! [thumbup] Where are you from Frank ?

Welcome the forum Frank, nice playing and singing!

I played a j 35 at Fullers in Houston (and every other Gibson acoustic they had) very nice guitar. It was my second favorite to the a Country Western, ended up buying a Hummingbird Artist which I find has a number of similiar characteristics. If you ever are in Houston Fullers has an amazing Gibson lineup.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I've owned and primarily play a Gibson Montana J-35 since 1995. ..

We can guess that what Frank owns may be more 95 John Walker J-35 reissue than a Fuller's 39 J-35 reissue.

J-35 reissue (involved with Gibson only):

In 1995

John Waler J-35 reissue (sunburt, 250, limited edition)

Kevin Kopp J-35 reissue (natural, limited edition ?)

In xxxx ?

Fuller's 39 J-35 reissue (sunburt?)

In 2005?

Kevin Kopp K-35 (sunburt)

In 2009

Montana 20th Anniversary J-35 (sunburst, 20, limited edition)

In 2011

Luthier's Choice (5 star dealer) J-35 (natural, 16, limited edition, top by Ren Ferguson)

Fuller's 39 J-35 line could not be launched yet in 1995. Right ?

Please add if any (involved with Gibson only)

• 2 weeks later...

We can guess that what Frank owns may be more 95 John Walker J-35 reissue than a Fuller's 39 J-35 reissue.

J-35 reissue (involved with Gibson only):

In 1995

John Waler J-35 reissue (sunburt, 250, limited edition)

Kevin Kopp J-35 reissue (natural, limited edition ?)

In xxxx ?

Fuller's 39 J-35 reissue (sunburt?)

In 2005?

Kevin Kopp K-35 (sunburt)

In 2009

Montana 20th Anniversary J-35 (sunburst, 20, limited edition)

In 2011

Luthier's Choice (5 star dealer) J-35 (natural, 16, limited edition, top by Ren Ferguson)

Fuller's 39 J-35 line could not be launched yet in 1995. Right ?

Please add if any (involved with Gibson only)

Mine is indeed built by John Walker but it's not from a Gibson reissue batch. I bought it through Gary Burnett of Bee-3 Vintage in Ashville NC. It was built to the specs of the '37 J-35 which is on the cover of the Gibson Fabulous Flattops book. Gary owns that guitar and had a few built to it's specs. It's essentially a '37 built in '95. Gibson's Custom Shop was separate from it's production line at that time. I don't know for sure but I don't believe it is now.

Mine is indeed built by John Walker but it's not from a Gibson reissue batch. I bought it through Gary Burnett of Bee-3 Vintage in Ashville NC. It was built to the specs of the '37 J-35 which is on the cover of the Gibson Fabulous Flattops book. Gary owns that guitar and had a few built to it's specs. It's essentially a '37 built in '95. Gibson's Custom Shop was separate from it's production line at that time. I don't know for sure but I don't believe it is now.

Wow ! My goodness, Frank replied to me, didn't you ?

A confusion about the identification of your J-35..

You said "Mine is indeed built by John Walker but it's not from a Gibson reissue batch. "

I'm confused here. Back around 1995, John Walker still was working for Gibson Montana (Custom shop). Since so, how could he privately build a guitar which was irrelated to Gibson he was working for ? (Is this legit ? )

(Besides, there were 250 pieces in all on 1995 J-35 reissue limited editon, by John Walker in Gibson Montana)

Looking forward to hearing from you again...

Wow ! My goodness, Frank replied to me, didn't you ?

A confusion about the identification of your J-35..

You said "Mine is indeed built by John Walker but it's not from a Gibson reissue batch. "

I'm confused here. Back around 1995, John Walker still was working for Gibson Montana (Custom shop). Since so, how could he privately build a guitar which was irrelated to Gibson he was working for ? (Is this legit ? )

(Besides, there were 250 pieces in all on 1995 J-35 reissue limited editon, by John Walker in Gibson Montana)

Looking forward to hearing from you again...

Let me clarify. It was built at Gibson by John Walker, in a batch of I believe 3, that was commissioned by Gary Burnett. Gary opened up his Vintage Gibson collection when Gibson was retooling. It is speced off the '37 J-35 that is on the cover of The Gibson Fabulous Flattops book which is owned by Gary Burnett as are a majority of the vintage guitars represented in the book. It's not like periodic batches that Gibson or Fuller issues, also fine guitars. Not that mine is any better or worse. It is what it is...a great Gibson guitar that has served me well for a long time. I hope that helps and thanks for letting me be apart of the discussion - Frank

Archived