Gibson Brands Forums

J-35... Opinions

GlenBenGurian

Let me clarify. It was built at Gibson by John Walker, in a batch of I believe 3, that was commissioned by Gary Burnett. Gary opened up his Vintage Gibson collection when Gibson was retooling. It is speced off the '37 J-35 that is on the cover of The Gibson Fabulous Flattops book which is owned by Gary Burnett as are a majority of the vintage guitars represented in the book. It's not like periodic batches that Gibson or Fuller issues, also fine guitars. Not that mine is any better or worse. It is what it is...a great Gibson guitar that has served me well for a long time. I hope that helps and thanks for letting me be apart of the discussion - Frank

Hi, Frank ! Thank you for your detailed reply! Excited to have heard from you again !

Oh I see, it turned out to be like this. So your J-35 is special ! Since your J-35's issue year is 1937, it is just next door to Gibson Trojan (earliest J-35), the monster !

I read that Jackson Browne very recently has his signature model Gibson J-45 like stuff based on Trojan under his suggestion, and more, he ordered two Trojan based McAlister guitars from a luthier.

More, I watched a couple of your gig videos including one that seems to be on a TV program hosted by a black TV hostess. One is on 12 strung guitar, the other on the very J-35 of yours. Sounded Gorgeous ! But forgive me, you looked sort of solemn, grave. it didn't seem to be like the ordinary looks of blues style (liberal, casual), perhaps my misconception ?

Good luck ! Hope you bring us more, better pieces !

Archived