Gibson Brands Forums

"cork sniffer"...

saturn

As far as wine is concerned, sniffing the cork tells you nothing. When a bottle is opened by a server at a restaurant and he/she hands you the cork, you are meant to inspect it for saturation or other flaws which may indicate oxidation or exposure to extreme heat. A chemical called TCA can be found in natural cork, and can react with the wine causing wet cardboard flavors and aromas. When this happens, your wine is "corked". TCA is detected by evaluating the flavor and aroma of the wine itself, and cannot be detected by examination of the cork.

What is a Trans Strat' date=' if you don't mind me asking? By the way, I have a Squier Deluxe with Duncan designed pickups, and they sound pretty good, also[cool']

It's a Strat Body and Neck with two Humbuckers. The "Trans" was for the Transparent Satin colors they came in, also know as stain:-"

2405054910100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

That's it on the left in Sunset Orange. It has a big headstock and came in this color, too.

229446.jpg

FirstMeasure, if I may, I heard your stuff and your playing is solid, man! You said your whole frontline cost less than most players rec room axes. Kids, take a lesson here. The most expensive gear won't make you better. I was looking at amps with a friend back in the 80's, and he stopped and told me "dude, you don't need to get louder. You need to get better." After I flippantly dismissed his blatant insolence, I actually deep inside heard him. It's practice, practice, practice kidos!

I guess I can't really categorize me. <grin>

If I had the cash, I'd have a number of Gibsons, perhaps a dozen.

I don't, so I don't.

But my criteria is what's affordable and what I'm comfortable with. I'd like a new Dot and either an Epi or a used Gibbie might fit the bill. Ditto on a Hummingbird. Yet... My top four 35-year-old guitars are pretty comfortable and I've a hunch that I could spend that $5-10,000 and not have a piece I'm more comfortable with than a couple of them. Maybe. Maybe not.

Problem is, "comfort" is my top criteria. The Gibson-style fingerboard fits me pretty nicely. Or I fit it. But the problem even there then comes into "well, what strings combine sound and comfort?" So you could have maybe three absolutely identical guitars with three different types of strings on them for different kinds of playing and have them sound quite different regardless.

I dunno. I guess I just drink wine and if I like it, don't particularly care if it cost $5 or $55.

m

As far as wine is concerned' date=' sniffing the cork tells you nothing. When a bottle is opened by a server at a restaurant and he/she hands you the cork, you are meant to inspect it for saturation or other flaws which may indicate oxidation or exposure to extreme heat. A chemical called TCA can be found in natural cork, and can react with the wine causing wet cardboard flavors and aromas. When this happens, your wine is "corked". TCA is detected by evaluating the flavor and aroma of the wine itself, and cannot be detected by examination of the cork.

[/quote']

How about if you suck the cork?

As far as wine is concerned' date=' sniffing the cork tells you nothing. When a bottle is opened by a server at a restaurant and he/she hands you the cork, you are meant to inspect it for saturation or other flaws which may indicate oxidation or exposure to extreme heat. A chemical called TCA can be found in natural cork, and can react with the wine causing wet cardboard flavors and aromas. When this happens, your wine is "corked". TCA is detected by evaluating the flavor and aroma of the wine itself, and cannot be detected by examination of the cork.

[/quote']

Oh I thought they give you the cork at a resautrant so you can write on the table cloth with the wine stained end....:)

I'm definitely NOT!

My favorite guitar of all is a GIBSON Les Paul. And my favorite amp is my all tube Marshall 100 watt JCM 800 2203 halfstack.

But I have a bunch of Epiphones which I love.

I also have a couple Squier '51s which are amazing!

I also have a Marshall MG100HDFX halfstack and a Line 6 Spider II 150 2x12 amp and I love both of them too.

I have a wide range of gear from exepensive to cheap, and I love it all! I have a good time no matter which I'm playing.

Eh, not really sure where I fit in on this one. I love Gibson Les Pauls, and the 339, but I prefer the feel of the Sheraton to a Gibson 335 [biggrin]

I like good gear, and I would wait to save up a little additional to get something if I really wanted it, but I make due.

But hey, a great go to guitar is my Fender Contemporary Strat that has a beat up neck, terrible finish, but I like it :-$

Archived