Gibson Brands Forums

Stock pickups on '70's Explorers?

GreenSparkleLPC

I am not a big fan of the stock pickups on current Explorers. Anyone know what the stock pickups on 1970's Explorers were and which aftermarket pickups give you a comparable sound? I am thinking of buying a used, beat-up Explorer, having it refinished, and putting new pickups in it.

Thanks!

Stock pickups in the first reissue were low to medium output. They also were epoxy potted. Sorta. Not like Alembic pickups or some Bill Lawrence pickups of the same era, but the bottom of the pickup had a black epoxy "sealer". I had a '74 SG for awhile with the same kind of pickup. Basically what you are looking for is a low to medium output old school PAF style pickup. Is it a '76 Explorer you're looking at? Cool if it is! Cool if it isnt, too! I love my Explorer.

unless I am mistaken or overlooking something 70s era Explorers were the same a the Vs... both had T-top humbuckers' date=' which became Dirty fingers in the 80s, which became the 496R/500T after 89[/quote']Yeah could be, I have seen a '76 Explorer with those odd "sealed" humbuckers. I'm geussing that if you took the covers off and removed the epoxy, you'd have your basic t-top.

unless I am mistaken or overlooking something 70s era Explorers were the same a the Vs... both had T-top humbuckers' date=' which became Dirty fingers in the 80s, which became the 496R/500T after 89[/quote']

You're not mistaken[smile]

Is it a '76 Explorer you're looking at? Cool if it is! Cool if it isnt, too! I love my Explorer.

It's a 1990. I would love to find a nice '76 for a good price.

unless I am mistaken or overlooking something 70s era Explorers were the same a the Vs... both had T-top humbuckers, which became Dirty fingers in the 80s, which became the 496R/500T after 89

Thanks for the info! Anyone know an aftermarket pickup today that sounds like the T-Tops? I am partial to Dimarzio, but perfectly willing to look elsewhere.

It's a 1990. I would love to find a nice '76 for a good price.

Thanks for the info! Anyone know an aftermarket pickup today that sounds like the T-Tops? I am partial to Dimarzio' date=' but perfectly willing to look elsewhere.

[/quote']Very nice, mine is an '89. I'm telling you, low to medium output, that is pretty much the t-top/PAF vibe.

Depends on how much money you want to spend. I've had Antiquities in mine, and those sounded beautiful. Currently

I have a SD '59 in the bridge and a SD Alnico II Pro in the neck. Its a good combination, digging the slightly more aggressive

sound of the '59 over the Antiquity. And a damn sight cheaper than the Antiquities. Well there you go, I'm pretty much a Seymour Duncan fan for aftermarket pickups.

Archived