Gibson Brands Forums

In need of some advice

durtyDevil

Hello all. I found this used SG Custom at a guitar shop nearby, and I was wondering if anybody knows what the price for this particular guitar should be. This is a 2007 with a headstock repair. It's in clean shape and plays well, but I don't really know what the value of this guitar should be after the repair. In other words, what should I offer them? If anyone has any thoughts on this I would appreciate it.

105898832_lg.jpg

You didn't mention what the shop is asking for it.

It's used.

And there's a headstock break which really brings down the value.

A very tough call without being able to see the quality of the headstock repair.

Guessing between $1000 and $1500

I wouldn't pay much more than that for a custom with a headstock repair unless the repair was very well done.

They're asking $1499. The repair was a crack behind the headstock. It wasn't actually snapped or broken off. I'm gonna call them and ask them to lower the price. Thanks for the replies :-)

Do you know about how much these go for new? I couldn't find any Customs like this online to get an idea.

I've always wanted one of those. If I liked the guitar I would buy it. I would only buy it on the cheap though.

Basically I just use guitars with my band. I'm not concerned with collectability or anything. If the repair is good and you knock the price way down I don't see any reason not to buy.

that looks like a guitar of the month the same as mine. i found mine in 08 it was still new had all the plastic on it and i payed 1,800 and change if that helps. and it plays like a dream. ive had offers as high as 2,500 for the guitar i just cant part with it.

Just me but I wouldn't buy a guitar' date=' especially an SG, with a headstock repair...unless of course Blackie fixed it. [cool']

Haha. True. +1.

But yeah, I dunno. I really don't think I'd spend $1,499 on any guitar with a headstock repair. I mean, for the price they are asking, you're almost at the price for a new '61 SG Reissue...

Headstock repair = <1k

Bad economy + repair = Blackie is right

I'd wait for one that isn't f-ed up...

Does a repair of that nature cause the guitar to be more sensitive to future bumps?

I know my grampa wouldn't bother with it, so I wouldn't either

It looks so nice though >.<

Does a repair of that nature cause the guitar to be more sensitive to future bumps?

If the repair was done well it should be stronger than before. The main concern is that the finish has been messed with really. That's why if it were me, I'd buy that guitar if the price were $700-$900. (that is of course assuming the repair is really nice)

Well' date=' the manager wouldn't budge on the price so I had to forget this one. I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a used RI. Thanks for all the advice and input everyone :-)[/quote']

You made the right decision. I've come to the conclusion that if you wait long enough you ALWAYS find what you are looking for. Even limited editions where there are only a couple of hundred made still keep coming round.

Good luck with your search.

Archived