Gibson Brands Forums

Storing guitars in cases laying flat determined not to be right

iddude

I just checked the F----- forum and their technicians had an article concerning the storage of guitars in their cases. They recommended that you not store the cases flat; and that the cases should be stored upright with the neck going up. In addition, they recommend that cases should not be stacked on top of another.

I've stored guitars in their cases laying flat with one case on top of another for years. I haven't had any problems storing the guitars in this manner. Has anyone heard that this manner of storing guitars is unacceptable?

I just checked the F----- forum and their technicians had an article concerning the storage of guitars in their cases. They recommended that you not store the cases flat; and that the cases should be stored upright with the neck going up. In addition' date=' they recommend that cases should not be stacked on top of another.

I've stored guitars in their cases laying flat with one case on top of another for years. I haven't had any problems storing the guitars in this manner. Has anyone heard that this manner of storing guitars is unacceptable?[/quote']

In the case, propped against a wall or lying flat... I don't see the physics of it being much different on the guit tar.

Cases stacked on cases... Yeah, you could get by with it. But if you have a stack of acoustics... Unlless you have all super-duper hard shell cases... I wouldn't chance it. Not to mention the fact that a stack of cases can be a bit unstable and prone to tipping over. Probably more a problem with flat-top cases which are usually anything but flat.

If you must store flat, I'd say one to a shelf.

THere is.. however ... an advantage to just leaning them in a corner, against a wall all jumbled up manner.

It prevents a co-habitant to you abode from being able to take a quick inventory, thereby revealing any new arrivals.

[biggrin]

I designed and had this built... This unit works great' date=' doesn't take up much room and stores 6 guitars. It also has one built in draw for guitar parafinilia...[biggrin']

That sure is a fine piece of work. Bet it cost a pretty penny too.

Man, this is something that never crossed my mind for some reason. [biggrin] Now I'm intrigued/worried. I've always kept my guitars in the case, on the floor, with the 'handle' side of the case up. Is that cool? I hope I'm not effin' something up.

I always store mine in the case' date=' upright, against the wall. [/quote']

Especially if my guitar is in its case, I never rest it against a wall upright.......I'll put it on its side, handle up....I think its safer.

My 3 Gibsons stay in their case laying flat but not stacked, spread around, keeps them in the case with easy access.

The rest hangs on the wall.

I am not sure why a guitar would get damaged by being stored flat in its case, especially Fenders

I've stored guitars in cases standing up, in cases with the handle up and and in cases laying flat for years. I've never had any issues. I've always been concerned more with heat and direct sunlight. I avoid those as much as possible with a stored guitar (long term or short term storage). I had a LP on a stand near a window for a few hours once. The sun came around and was filling the room. It played fine that morning, but needed a set up that evening!

The guitars I play most often I hang.... The others go back in the case positioned vertically and stored in my daughters closet.

It won't take her long to take up every last cubic inch of the closet. But enjoy the storage space while it lasts!

It won't take her long to take up every last cubic inch of the closet. But enjoy the storage space while it lasts!

LOL[biggrin] .... Actually her closet is the only area in her room that resembles any type of cleanliness or organization..... Her room for the most part looks like a tornado moved though it..... I won't even get into the current state her bathroom[blink]

I'd like to see the sort of research that would accompany this sort of declaration.

I can see where a Fender, perhaps especially, with a bolt-on neck and a case that may or may not have equalized pressure on neck and body of the guitar could have some problems.

Flattops... archtops... I dunno. I'd guess personally that any case situation that places pressure on the joint of neck to guitar could cause some problems.

On the other hand, as has been mentioned, it seems to me there would be less, not more, pressure on various guitar parts if a flat top or arch top is stored vertically than in some variation of horizontal, assuming a properly-sized case that does not stress the neck joint.

Frankly I've always wondered how many old-style acoustic straps contributed to guitar necks separating from the body. The leverage of a strap just above the nut and then on the endpin seems to be potentially disastrous - yet I've never heard of it happening.

m

Thanks for all of the thoughtful responses concerning the storing guitars in their cases. I think one advantage to storing the cases vertically is that it takes less room. Maybe it will look as though I will have room for a couple more guitars![cool]

There are some creative wood cabinets that were posted that I'm considering using in my "therapy room" where I keep my guitars, amps, etc.

I agree with milod that it would be interesting to see what research justifies the declaration that one way of storing a guitar in a case is better than another. I would think that if problems occurred with one manner used to store these cases, no matter what kind of guitar was stored, we would have found out by now!

I will have to check the F----- forum to look into this issue further.

LOL[biggrin] .... Actually her closet is the only area in her room that resembles any type of cleanliness or organization..... Her room for the most part looks like a tornado moved though it..... I won't even get into the current state her bathroom[blink]

Not to start a domestic argument... but if'n your guit tars weren't taking up closet space... you think she would be able to put HER things away in HER closet?

[biggrin]

Just sayin'.

guitar-hanger-850-100.jpg

DOOD! :-k That's cool! #-o

Not to start a domestic argument... but if'n your guit tars weren't taking up closet space... you think she would be able to put HER things away in HER closet?

[biggrin]

Just sayin'.

DOOD! :-k That's cool! #-o

LOL[biggrin]

Actually we'd hope that the empty clothes hamper would be a nice start.....

My view is' date=' as long as her mess stays confined to her room, I'm okay. However my wife has a different view on the matter[biggrin']

Archived