Gibson Brands Forums

Original custom built 1959 Gibson Double 12

ttrahan

Hi. My dad ordered this in 1959. I have had a very hard time getting info on it as it is so rare. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can go to get more info. He is thinking of selling it and wants all the info he can get. All of the parts are original as is the case, except for the handle on the case. The serial number is 9-0209. I can't seem to upload pics here. I will once I figure it out. Thanks in advance for your help.

Tony

Hi and welcome,

Wow that looks amazing!

See here for info on how to post pics:

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=11276

A standard place for getting appraisals is Gruhn's in Nashville

www.gruhn.com (although they appear to be off air as I write)

but I expect there must be somebody in your neck of the woods.

RN

Great looking guitar! This appears to be an early EDS-1275 and the serial number does indicate 1959 as the year of manufacture. This model had a 12 string and 6 string neck, maple back and sides a carved spruce top, one piece mahogany necks, 3 ply binding on the top and bottom, double parallelogram inlays, and was available in sunburst , white or black.

Original receipt too! very cool.

As Robin suggested, Gruhn Guitars is a good place to get an appraisal. They can even perform an appraisal via pictures e-mailed to them.

hi - I tried to email you through this forum but I'm not sure it went through. I've been looking for one of these guitars for a while. Before you go calling dealers, would you please contact me? I'd love to talk about it.

apossibleworld (at) gmail (dot) com

thank you!

Great looking guitar! This appears to be an early EDS-1275 and the serial number does indicate 1959 as the year of manufacture. This model had a 12 string and 6 string neck' date=' maple back and sides a carved spruce top, one piece mahogany necks, 3 ply binding on the top and bottom, double parallelogram inlays, and was available in sunburst , white or black.

Original receipt too! very cool.

As Robin suggested, Gruhn Guitars is a good place to get an appraisal. They can even perform an appraisal via pictures e-mailed to them. [/quote']

I'm going to get some more pics of it and do that. Thanks for the advice.

hi - I tried to email you through this forum but I'm not sure it went through. I've been looking for one of these guitars for a while. Before you go calling dealers' date=' would you please contact me? I'd love to talk about it.

apossibleworld (at) gmail (dot) com

thank you![/quote']

I just replied to your email.

Thanks for all the help.

Robin' date=' I asked my dad and he said, "To be flashy" That no one else had anything like it and he wanted to be cool.[/quote']

:)

And what kind of music was he playing?

I see that there are two knobs per neck. Does this mean that each has a Tele style tone circuit i.e master tone and volume? And I can see three switches around the bridges. Can you say what these are?

As you are in NY, you might want to give Mandolin Brothers on Staten Island a call and see if they can do an appraisal or suggest somebody local who can.

RN

:-

I see that there are two knobs per neck. Does this mean that each has a Tele style tone circuit i.e master tone and volume? And I can see three switches around the bridges. Can you say what these are?

As you are in NY' date=' you might want to give Mandolin Brothers on Staten Island a call and see if they can do an appraisal or suggest somebody local who can.

RN

[/quote']

He played everything, but mostly 50's and 60's rock n roll, some country and big band stuff too. He mostly played bass. I can't answer to the technical questions though. He has a link to this forum and when I get time I'll see if he can answer you.

I'm going to do the Gruhn's appraisal first. Staten Island is a very hard place to get to from here. There is also a place in Philadelphia that I may check out too. There's a guy there who did an appraisal on a double 12 from 1960. You can see it here.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200902A30.html

:-

As you are in NY' date=' you might want to give Mandolin Brothers on Staten Island a call and see if they can do an appraisal or suggest somebody local who can.

RN

[/quote']

I did find this out though.

"The Gibson EDS-1275 is a doubleneck Gibson guitar introduced in 1958 as a special-order custom instrument. The original models, produced between 1958 and 1962, were basically twin-necked hollow-body instruments, with dual cutaways similar to the ES-175; these models are quite rare. In 1962, the EDS-1275 was changed to a solid SG-style body; this version of the double-neck is most common and well-known among players and collectors.

The guitar features 2 volume and 2 tone control knobs, a 3-way pickup selector switch, and a 3 way neck selector switch. It has single-ply white binding, chrome hardware, vintage tulip tuners, pearloid split parallelogram inlays, a black pickguard, 20 frets per neck, a nut width of 1.68 inches, Nashville TOM bridges, stop-plate tailpieces and 490 Alnico ® and 489 Alnico (T) humbucking pickups. The neck scale length is 24 3/4 inches long, the body is made of solid mahogany, the neck of three-piece maple, and the fretboard rosewood.

The single-ply binding on the EDS-1275 is only on the necks; the body is unbound. In addition to the Heritage Cherry finish of Jimmy Page's 1275, this guitar was also made in alpine white (with gold hardware), tobacco burst (in the early 70s), and ebony (with chrome or gold hardware).

Gibson stopped making this guitar some time in the 1980s and didn't start making them again until the early 1990s, at which time they started marking the serial numbers on the back of the 6-string headstock instead of the 12-string headstock."

Thank you for that additional info. Good luck with your appraisals.

The person I most associate with twin necks is John McLaughlin during the Mahavishnu Orchestra years. He started with an SG style 1275 but later moved to a fancy custom built twin neck that looks like it had a chambered body like your Dad's.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. My dad ordered this in 1959. I have had a very hard time getting info on it as it is so rare. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can go to get more info. He is thinking of selling it and wants all the info he can get. All of the parts are original as is the case, except for the handle on the case. The serial number is 9-0209. I can't seem to upload pics here. I will once I figure it out. Thanks in advance for your help.

Tony

You have a rare and unusual guitar there. Given the bad economy I would be tempted to hold it until things get better in a few years... and consider a rare guitar auction. Because of the stage use of an axe like this by Jimmy Page and the enduring rock of Led Zeppelin there will probably be a significant market for this guitar for many many years, and it may be worth it to wait a while to sell. Keep in mind that auction commissions can eat into the sales price by up to 30%. Consult with Sotheby's and Skinner auctioneers before you decide to sell. best of luck...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

First of all, that's a very rare guitar. 2nd, it's a Double-12 as you thought, and there was no model 1275 in 1959. The body is too deep to be a 1275. I saw one just like it on Antiques Roadshow and it was appraised at $60-80K!!! Not quite in '59 LP territory, but pretty darn close. It was available in white, black or sunburst, but I've only seen white ones. Original 1959 price tag was a whopping $475.00! A brand new '59 Les Paul Custom 3 pickup was $375.00. I would also suggest getting an appraisal from Gruhns.

I saw one just like it on Antiques Roadshow and it was appraised at $60-80K!!! Not quite in '59 LP territory, but pretty darn close.

Incorrect. That Antiques Roadshow appraisal (in June of '09) was $25K - $35K.

See post #12 (above) for a link to the appraisal on the PBS website. :rolleyes:

Archived