Gibson Brands Forums

What is wrong with kids these days?

Silenced Fred

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is wrong with kids these days is their parents.

I love how everyone blames the parents.

Its most of the time the parents fault...but its the kids fault as well.

Im sure your parents didnt baby sit you 24/7 now did they?

Based on the way you wrote your post Fred I would have to agree with Duane's last statement. I'm not sure all of what you meant to say came out right in your post but based on what is written makes me think Duane is right. If your intent is being misinterpreted edit it to more accurately state your opinion.

Rewd.

I never said it was new. Point is' date=' it's not going away in any culture unfortunately. Lady Gagme continues the lame music/trashiness. Now Bieber's prolly gonna wear man bras.... #-o [/quote']

That's really the point. People can continue to point fingers at pop culture figures or they can take responsibility for raising their kids. Ozzy caught flack from lots of people during most of his career as did Alice Cooper and Marilyn Manson. Are they to blame for what youth wears or are their parents for not having backbones and telling their kids "no"?

I'm not a parent so I can't talk much with authority but I believe that parents blaming pop culture for how messed up their kids are is a total cop out. Talk to your kids and tell them what you believe is right and wrong; kids look up to their parents for answers and, if a parent sees that their kids is heading down a path that they don't like, it's up to the parents to raise their kids the way that they want them to be raised.

Nathan, do you remember in Back To The Future (and of course you've seen it--guitarists love that movie) when Marty's mom in 1985 berates Marty's girlfriend Jennifer for her alleged promiscuity, and then when Marty's in the car with his mother in 1955 (at the dance,) he gets a look at the promiscuous, age-inappropriate behavior his mother engaged in when she was younger? Yeah--I'm not convinced that common behavioral change generationally, nor am I convinced that the sizes and proportions of the constituencies who engage in various behaviors change generationally. In the words of Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr: "the more things change, the more they stay the same."*

Oh, and Steve?

chris_hansen_dateline_nbc.jpg

*He wrote it in French, but my point still stands.

That's really the point. People can continue to point fingers at pop culture figures or they can take responsibility for raising their kids. Ozzy caught flack from lots of people during most of his career as did Alice Cooper and Marilyn Manson. Are they to blame for what youth wears or are their parents for not having backbones and telling their kids "no"?

I'm not a parent so I can't talk much with authority but I believe that parents blaming pop culture for how messed up their kids are is a total cop out. Talk to your kids and tell them what you believe is right and wrong; kids look up to their parents for answers and' date=' if a parent sees that their kids is heading down a path that they don't like, it's up to the parents to raise their kids the way that they want them to be raised.[/quote']

Agreed, but it boils down to the parents letting their kids wear inappropriate attire seen on MTV etc. If the parents blame, they're off the rocker. That'll never go away. Look at me. I got whoopings and look how I turned out.... liking Gibsons! :-& Ok, off the high horse. #-o

What is wrong with kids these days is their parents.

I'm getting tired of hearing that. I don't think it's any more true now than it was 50 years ago. Sure, some parents are bad.. that's always been fact.

What's wrong with kids these days is... society.

Kids these day know that there's not a damn thing their parents can REALLY do to them... that's the problem.

oh brother[blink]

Nothing has changed.... In the 70's girls wore shorty shorts..... So did the guys for that matter[biggrin] LOL[blush] ....

I have a 12 year old daughter' date=' so I get the whole thing, and I certainly remember girls at the age of 12 when I was young.... I coach girls softball, and ol' saying still stands true today... "Girls will be Girls and boys will be boys."

However Fred, I do have issue with your assumptions on how you can make a judgement call on young females persona and behavior patterns, according to where they shop[confused'] .... I think you're cool, but IMO you're the one with the problem on this particular subject matter.... not the girls.

I should apologize and clarify, I'm not entirely sure why I put down the Victorias secret example, but it was the behavior that startled me. Duane, I'll send you a pm about the behavior I saw, not appropriate for thr forum. I'm sorry

I actually prefer the feel of soft cotton panties. And before you start calling me J Edgar Hoover' date=' I mean on my wife.[/quote']

That was a good laugh for me, thanks I needed that.

Yea, Victoria Secret is not all lingerie, I'd say it is mostly normal underwear...until you get to the "cougar" section that is.

Fred,

You have a good head on your shoulders. Yes, our society is getting looser and looser by the generation. For parents to aid and abet children to look and act like 20 year olds is unconscionable. I a couple years, when their daughters have an STD, they will wonder, "Where did I go wrong?" They haven't a clue. #-o

When will it end? When adult relations are tolerated between humans of all ages.... sadly. But unless we as a society demand an end to moral depravity, I am afraid we will see even lower levels of disgusting behavior.

My daughter wanted to have an day care in her home. In order to get a license, she needed to have a sex ed curriculum for 6 years old on up. :-k

She has a moral standard and the curriculum, she said, was an embarrassment. She scrapped the idea.

I said, "They've won." [biggrin]

Somewhere between mothers sexting up their pre-teens and the hajib is a sane level of displaying women's beauty.

Keep your morals Fred. They will serve you well.

I set my moral compass on Mayberry. There are some subjects women and men should not discuss among themselves. Kids should be allowed to be kids, and parents should be parents, not their child's best friend.

Remember when Barbara Eden couldn't show her navel on I Dream Of Jeannie? Remember Star Trek having trouble with censors? As time goes by, more and more becomes acceptable. Who knows why. I don't think it's so much parents as it is the fact that both parents have to work to make ends meet. How many families actually sit down and eat a meal together anymore?

I could go off on a political rant, but my last one ended up with a deleted thread.

But, we all know that rock music was a communist plot to rot the teenage minds of America!!!

MTV didn't help much either.

Corrosion and Steve' date=' can you both agree to disagree and leave the little snips in your mind and don't write them. I know where this all started and it's been too long ago to be still going at it. Forgive and forget is my motto.

Fred this is what I was refering to you the other day how it's the follow up answers that can sometimes go too far IMHO.

Peace, Rewd.

[/quote']

i agree...peace [biggrin]

I love how everyone blames the parents.

Its most of the time the parents fault...but its the kids fault as well.

Im sure your parents didnt baby sit you 24/7 now did they?

They did raise us to be responsible and not to do stupid, unthinking things. They didn't have to watch us 24/7 and they could trust us. I grew up in a very different time.

I find it crazy how young kids are having sex these days. I'm only 27' date=' and growing up 8th grade seemed to be at the young end of the spectrum. My girlfriend is a teacher at a school here in Florida, and they caught 2 5th graders having "sex" (or whatever 5th graders consider sex?) on the staircase at school. That's the type of stuff that scares me. Or just some of the knowledge (not the good kind) kids have at such a young age now.

Another story from my GF, a teacher at her school had a glass apple on her desk, and kid in 3rd grade walked up and said "I can make a sweet bowl outta this" (and not the kind you eat out of). Really, a freakin 3rd grader.

15 year old girls shopping at Victoria Secrets should be the least of your worries, especially at 18.[/quote']

Wow I cannot believe how crazy the world is. And I thought 8th graders having sex was r i d i c u l o u s; thats just insane!!

I'm getting tired of hearing that. I don't think it's any more true now than it was 50 years ago. Sure' date=' some parents are bad.. that's always been fact.

What's wrong with kids these days is... society.

Kids these day know that there's not a damn thing their parents can REALLY do to them... that's the problem.[/quote']

Blaming anything outside of the home is just shirking responsibilty. Parents have far more effect on their children than society for the first, most important early years. Poor parents always want to blame someone else.

I just noticed the thread so.... My comment isn't likely to be what you might expect.

When I was a kid, every man regardless of social class probably owned a suit, at least one. He wore a hat when "dressed up." That's "man" as in males over age 8 or so. Females wore dresses, a hat when "dressed up" and almost certainly white gloves when going out much of anywhere one would go "dressed up."

Bands wore suits or at least matching jackets - regardless of style or lyrics to what they were singing. Many of those lyrics were as crude by standards of the day as many lyrics today - the bands were just much better dressed. Except for some "blues" or "blue" venues, sexuality was treated in terms that said everything but behind a curtain.

I'd say human beings ain't changed all that much from our earliest records of human behavior. The style of exhibiting that behavior, however, is in cycles within given cultures. Complaints about female attire have been around big time since at least around 1800 - but the behavior of people has not changed all that much regardless.

Coarseness is what I would argue is a current "fashion" in society today - not behavior itself. Men no longer own suits unless they're in jobs that require them. Women virtually all work outside the home in an often coarse workplace - but many of the Moms of my parents' age group found that same coarseness in WWII wartime factory jobs. Their clothing technically covered more but... hey, allusion and gesture said as much as skin, believe me.

So... there... <grin> Hey, I'm wearing jeans, boots and a nice shirt at work. Back 40 years ago? Coat and tie and dress slacks unless I was at a rodeo or equivalent. I still occasionally quote Shakespeare but fewer people recognize the context from which I do so...

Think about it from that perspective...

m

Archived