Gibson Brands Forums

What is wrong with kids these days?

Silenced Fred

I know what panties she wears cus' date=' of course, being girls, we shop together and spend the night together, and pillow fight and wrestle in our underwear. Her panties are SEXY! You would never guess, she looks like a school teacher...

[/quote']

Any way we can get tickets to watch these pillow fights and wrestling matches???? [cool][biggrin][wink]

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The clothing' date=' sex mores, etc., however, are all part of the overall coarsening of the culture. I'm less concerned about that in ways because it's cyclical and always has been.

But ... I blame a lotta the vocabulary and grammar difficulty on a combination of cultural factors. For example, I got into a nice little political discussion with a friend on the opposite side of the spectrum the other day and ... we both ended up commenting that today's "kids" wouldn't have had the slightest idea what we were talking about as we ranged through history, constitutional law, economics, bits of legislation from 50 years ago...

I'm not sure which is better overall. As the "old guy," I should have stronger opinions, perhaps. But let's leave it at this: Kids today (as in folks under 40) have far less training and concept of allegory and metaphor than in prior "educated" generations. This means that even history and lit have less value to the maturation process.

m[/quote']

Yeah, it's odd. Here (I live in a relatively upscale area) kids have a great educational system, as many opportunities as is possible. Yet, too few have any idea what is going on around the world, and better yet the general trends that cause supply and demand and the like. I find that any teenagers ability to hold a proper discussion on current events really seperates them from the rest of the pack. Some kids are completley ignorant to whats going on, despite the contantly pessimistic news reports. Maybe they don't care, maybe they're completley oblivious, either way they should know what's going on. I'm one of the kids, who is proud to be nerdy in that sense, I frequent history forums just to absorb the information, and I love doing so. It's good to be able to include whatever I pick up there, the news etc into conversations. It figures I'm more comfortable talking to adults.

It seems to me, that a lot of kids of my age group are too abosorbed in their little lives to pay attention to the larger things, and heck if they want to play ignorant, they're going to get a slap in the face when they start javing to work and pay for themselves.

Ignorance isn't bliss, it breeds stupidity (IMO).

Another thing, all these video games, cell phones and the reast of all this technology, steals their opportunity to, do something constructive, say fixing cars, or exploring famous books. I've never really understood video game consoles, (save for a couple month phase whe I was 11) and if the kids want to stay in and do nothing, they can, that doesnt mean it's a good thing. My old man often laments that kids these days aren't growing up like he did, running around, doing crazy stupid stunts with his friends, rigging up zip lines of questionable safety, the classic ol' watering hole scene kind of thing. When a barbecue was a big event, where everyone would huddle around their tiny little TVs to see a big boxing match or baseball game (reminds me of S. King's short story Stand By Me), when high school sports really meant something and those. Where kids respected their parents (while disobeying of course)! It seems everyone had a better appreciation for the little things back then. I was born too late, in my music taste and in the fact that I wish I could grow up in a place like that. That, enjoyment of life is what truly enriches people, and heck people had conversations, picked up random facts about current events simply from being out of the house so much!

You know.. I've heard this way too many times. "I choose not to join organized religion. I prefer to think for myself."

I find that insultive. I belong to organized religion and I and most of my fellow believers are anything but brain dead automatons. We actually READ the bible, Analyze it and come up with OUR OWN opinion on the subject. We discuss how it pertains to every day, modern life and think very well for ourselves... Thank you very much.

There's a piece of me that wants to tell folks, who portray believers as brain dead nincompoops, where to go... but I can see they are already headed in that direction.

So right Tommy, religion isnt a forced thought process, it's far closer (if not exactly right on) a series of beliefs and morals (defined as: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices). Nowhere in that definiftion is there mentioned any sort of... (this almost sounds perverse) forced thought. A human is bound to think for him/herself, regardless of religious affiliation. Anyone who thinks that religion has anything to do with your individuality, well they're ignorant.

Well I can see where this thread is starting to go. I don't think we want to get into a debate over organized religion. I have friends on both sides of the spectrum and they all lead happy, moral and law abiding lives and so do their children. I decided a long time ago not to judge people and I have developed healthy relationships with all kinds of people. So let's not turn this into another inappropriate thread. lol

Rewd.

DAS44 and other young 'uns...

I just finished two days of working with one-time "child actors" from the 1972 John Wayne movie classic "The Cowboys" and also with some Northern Cheyenne dancers. We had kids age 5-10 dressing like "the cowboys" in the movie - and some of them already had won buckles for rodeo competition. The Northern Cheyenne high school kids were taking leading roles in their own community; of 20-some reservation high school grads this year, all were accepted to college.

Watch the movie "The Cowboys." Nowadays the "for rent" versions have cut a lotta the more violent stuff but...

There's a Colt Revolver on a ranch west of here I reeeeeally want for the local museum I've been involved with. A 13-year-old cowboy came up the trail wearing it a bit over a century ago, founded an area ranch; and his family is still around, living on and working the ranch.

Teens don't have to be children.

That's one good thing about playing in a band, even a band playing music I'm assuming I wouldn't care for. A band forces you to be places on time with gear ready to perform. It's no different if you're 14 or 64.

Teens don't have to be children and guitar pickin' can help. But on the other hand, you've gotta consider the "grownup" side of playing music just like "the cowboys" had to learn about riding and roping and working together as adults.

Watch the movie, and figure horses and handguns aren't such a big deal nowadays, but the need to be adult still is.

m

Anymore comments towards religion' date=' this thread is done.[/quote']

Can I just give one to end this thread? [biggrin] I keed I keed

But DAS- I know exactly what you mean. As a child, I read a lot of british literature, because my mom read it and it was what was around the house. I was using the f word without knowing it had negative connotations towards homosexuals other than to describe a cigarette. I have a friend that I used to text, but every text I would get back would just be a question about a word I used in a prior one I sent [mad] I can't stand the terrible grammar, and I expect people to act somewhat decently.

Oh well, I hope more people like you and I are out there in this world, except preferably attractive women who like guitar players [biggrin]

Keep on keepin' on DAS and many others here

Archived