Gibson Brands Forums

I finally got my Explorer!

97LPClassic

I have lurked and inquired on the board re: either an Epi Korina Explorer or a Heritage Cherry or a faded Explorer. Well....... After weeks I found a very motivated seller $500 for a pristine Faded Explorer 2008, HSC, strap locks AND with both black & white pickguard.

The serial number checks out (i think) but I was unaware that the headstock logo was painted on??? And not inbedded into the headstock like my other Gibsons. Is this only a trait for the "faded" series? Did I get ripped off at $500?

It plays great!

003780453 - your SN

0XXX8XXXX - Year of Man.

X037XXXXX - Date of man (2/06)

XXXXX0453 - plant designation # (on 8digit ser it would have been 453rd Gibson as of that date, ran it through generator and said it was 153).

How did you do? In 2008, you got a killer deal. In 2010 you got a very "average bargain" esp. considering cond, OHSC, and PGs. You got a bargain because it's a buyer's market and people are hurting right now. I see people asking for 200 more than that but they rarely get it. $500 to a hungry man in '10' is $800 to a content hobbyist in 2007 with rent already paid.

I have seen a new vintage gibson with the painted headstock too, so I don't know if it's model-specific or if they've stopped doing inlaid logos on standard Explorers anymore. Great score though!

It's a painted Logo on my Faded SG (and other fadeds I've seen). It was a slight disappointment to me at first... but you soon forget it [biggrin]

I can't judge on the price/deal (especially in dollars!!) but that looks great...

Yep, the logo's silk screened on the faded explorers. That's a nice price. I would have jumped on one myself at that. The last time I looked at the faded explorers was when they had just come out and cost very close to what a full featured one did.

I also think the white pg looks better, FWIW.

Thanks guys, day one in the books. I gotta be honest, i was super excited when i picked it up from the owner (original owner btw) very little play time, it looks brand new. It it flawless! But, once i got home and realized the painted logo & because the high action, low pickups and my clothes have red stain on them! Its like they stained the guitar with the same stuff used for pistachios!! LOL!!! Seriously, i have slight pink stains where it sat on my leg! But.... Drum roll please, My buyers remorse finally disappeared when I lowered the action, raised the pickups, dialed it in and PLUGGED IT IN to a hot preampped over driven tube amp, WOW.

I am speechless. It's like the ghost of 'High & Dry' snuck into my playing style. This is unreal amount of metal riffage!!! I have another Gibby with the same 500 & 496 humbuckers and they sound like a lamb next to this whacky space guitar, I mean, Explorer!

Another happily satisfied Gibson customer.O:) oh... the aftermarket white pickguard is staying (even though it's cut a little off)

photo-38.jpg

Awesome, I can totally relate to that. When I bought my first Gibby (a flying V) I had been playing an epi for a while and the first plug in on my home rig had me hearing stuff that I didn't even realize was missing out of my sound.

I recently picked up a robot lp special (my first real P90 guitar) and within all of about 10 sec I found myself belting out Let it Go. ;) Great how a good sounding guitar can just take you along for a ride, isn't it?

Thanks guys' date=' day one in the books. I gotta be honest, i was super excited when i picked it up from the owner (original owner btw) very little play time, it looks brand new. It it flawless! But, once i got home and realized the painted logo & because the high action, low pickups and my clothes have red stain on them! Its like they stained the guitar with the same stuff used for pistachios!! LOL!!! Seriously, i have slight pink stains where it sat on my leg! But.... Drum roll please, My buyers remorse finally disappeared when I lowered the action, raised the pickups, dialed it in and PLUGGED IT IN to a hot preampped over driven tube amp, WOW.

I am speechless. It's like the ghost of 'High & Dry' snuck into my playing style. This is unreal amount of metal riffage!!! I have another Gibby with the same 500 & 496 humbuckers and they sound like a lamb next to this whacky space guitar, I mean, Explorer!

[/quote']

I just recieved my Holy Explorer yesterday and it must have been set up by the same guy as yours , but like you, I spent some time tweaking the truss rod and bridge and it is great now. I love those PUPs. They are the same as my Robot V. Congrats on a cool guitar. I think it's funny that because of the odd Explorer shape they have too put it in a case big enough for a P Bass. David

Archived