Gibson Brands Forums

Sustain on a Les Paul?

hi13ts

The Gibson Les Paul has always been known to have ridiculously good sustain. But with my Les Paul studio, it doesn't seem that way. My Strat actually has a couple more seconds of sustain that my Les Paul, I find that ridiculous, with the Les Paul having a SET NECK and a more stable bridge, nut, and headstock. Is this the problem of a action/intonation? Does anyone the official Gibson guidelines on action, intonation, etc.?

I would take it in for a pro set-up if you can. I have had a few Strats over the years and my Les Pauls have had a quite a bit more sustain then the strat. I have never timed them to be sure, but I have hit a note and noticed several seconds later that it is still ringing. Generally the lower end. I can say I did not have the same experience with the strat. It may have something to do with the intonation and string hieght, but I am not sure.

I would guess that it's something in the setup. My Studio has very good sustain and it's even better since I've had a professional setup done to it. Another factor that some people don't consider is how close the pickups are set to the strings. If too close, the magnets actually inhibit the strings from vibrating correctly.

Set neck vs. bolt on has nothing to do with it; both methods provide good energy transfer. Wood is inconsistent so guitars are inconsistent to some degree and that's just the way it is. That's why I always recommend trying out a bunch of the same model guitar when shopping. I must have played some 50 LPs while working in a music store before I picked mine; none were bad but so some were definitely better than others and the one I bought is excellent.

You could try taking your guitar to someone for a good setup but it may or may not make a difference; it can't hurt to give it a try.

Set neck vs. bolt on has nothing to do with it; both methods provide good energy transfer. Wood is inconsistent so guitars are inconsistent to some degree and that's just the way it is. That's why I always recommend trying out a bunch of the same model guitar when shopping. I must have played some 50 LPs while working in a music store before I picked mine; none were bad but so some were definitely better than others and the one I bought is excellent.

You could try taking your guitar to someone for a good setup but it may or may not make a difference; it can't hurt to give it a try.

+1

"Sustain" is the product of many variables, and the wood is a big player.

I've taken it to for pro setups before, but I've never been COMPLETELY satisfied. That's why I'd like to know how to setup guitar myself, so I can set it up the exact way I want it to be. Thanks for the information everyone! I still would like a spec sheet or guideline sheet from Gibson that tells you the pickup height, action, radius, etc. that Gibson themselves use.

"THE" Book ....

totally guitar

the definitive guide . http://www.amazon.com/Totally-Guitar-Definitive-Tony-Bacon/dp/1592231993/ref=pd_sim_b_img_2/103-2036979-0551836

Has the answers to your questions ...

It's my tech ...

And you never see me posting "how why or how come"

It's in the book ...

Hope this helps. I believe it's one of the best books for guitarists out there .

And ... It has pictures ...=D>

Try unpinning your stop bar so the bottom of the stop bar is just above or just below the bridge thumb wheels. I'm getting anywhere from 9-13 seconds on a "A" or "E" chord on my newer swiss cheesed les paul before the feedback kick's in.

I have some 25 1/2" longer scale strat's with the alder body and other axe's/makes with the 25 1/2" scale that sustain much longer than the standard 24 1/2" scale on the gibson les paul's

Dude so you want to learn how to set up your guitar try this site for startershttp://www.gibson.com/magazines/amplifier/1997/10/tipfile.html on Basic guitar setup then go to this one on prestige axeshttp://www.ibanezrules.com/new/setup_trem.html I hate to be a **** but you have the world wide web at your fingers, try and be a little creative. Punch in how to set up a guitar, you'll get all kinds of ****. Try and really get how to set your string height at the nut and other things like truss rod adjustment and overall pickup height when setting intonation and man if you have never played with this stuff before, start out on your fender and learn it first before mess with your gibson

Archived