Gibson Brands Forums

G12M Greenbacks

jnastynebr

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a pair for my heavily modded Fender DeVille 212. I really want to let the sparkle in the middle position of my LP to ring when playing clean, but need a good brit-crunch, too. My concern is that Celestion described these as "Ideal for modern high gain amps", but I'm more interested in vintage tone.

I'm not going to drop $500+ on a pair of Celestion golds, but am open to suggestions as well. If anyone has used the G12M Greenback, I would love to hear any feadback.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

californiaman, thats a little more than I wanted to spend, and I need speakers that will handle a little more juice.

I'm starting to lean toward the Greenbacks, as I have heard nothing but good things.

Try Eminence speakers... they are made in the US and have lots of models that get "the classic Celestion tone" better than the new (made in China) Celestions.

I love how the true alnico blues sound, but the eminence red fang is a really good replacement. Try the governor and private jack models too. You won't be disapointed, you won't spend as much and you'll have a made in the US set (which means you are helping your country's economy).

Thundergod,

I assumed they were brit-made. I also saw the heritage series which costs double, so those must be the British made ones. I'm open to suggestions, but would like to keep it in the $300 range for a pair, and need to be rated at least 25W 8 ohm. My DeVille actually has stock Eminence special "designed for Fender" speakers that I have been less than impressed with. I would like to score some alnico speakers, but they seem more expensive and have lower power ratings. Ideally, a pair of 30W alnico speakers for $300 from a quality name would make my day, but I would go 25W, too.

Try Eminence speakers... they are made in the US and have lots of models that get "the classic Celestion tone" better than the new (made in China) Celestions.

I love how the true alnico blues sound' date=' but the eminence red fang is a really good replacement. Try the governor and private jack models too. You won't be disapointed, you won't spend as much and you'll have a made in the US set (which means you are helping your country's economy).[/quote']

+1. The Red Fang speakers sound great. WGS Speakers make great speakers too(I think in Kentucky).

The Red Fangs look tempting, and are exactly what I need, but close to twice what I want to spend. I found a pair of the G12H Heritage British made ceramic greenbacks right around my price range. I may pull the trigger, but I may wait and try to round up some more funds to open up my options a little more. I have also been eyeballing some Jensen alnico speakers, but they seem to be priced quite low and are simply described as "straight forward and bright."

I just did a complete re-cap and supreme mod kit for my DeVille, and I could not be happier with the results. The painfully average stock eminence speakers are the only thing standing between me and boutique tube tone.

Thundergod' date='

I assumed they were brit-made. I also saw the heritage series which costs double, so those must be the British made ones. I'm open to suggestions, but would like to keep it in the $300 range for a pair, and need to be rated at least 25W 8 ohm. My DeVille actually has stock Eminence special "designed for Fender" speakers that I have been less than impressed with. I would like to score some alnico speakers, but they seem more expensive and have lower power ratings. Ideally, a pair of 30W alnico speakers for $300 from a quality name would make my day, but I would go 25W, too. [/quote']

Those that cost a lot, are made in China too. I have told friends before they buy them. Then they come here with their brand new box with Celestion Vintage 30s or whatever inside... box says "designed and enginered in england", but once you get the speaker out you notice a little sticker that reads "MADE IN CHINA". My guess is most people take that one out and pretend it didn't happen.

I'm going to hold off a little while. There are about a half dozen different possibilities on the auction block right now, so I'm going to watch and see what these go for.

Thundergod, are you sure that the Celestion Heritage is made in China? The website indicates that this range is brit manufactured. That is pretty crappy to market these speakers this way if they are Chinese made.

I'm not sure you are correct about Celestion unless you have pics to show. Celestion makes guitar, bass, PA and home theater speakers. The home theater and PA speakers are made in Asia but I'm not convinced all speakers are being made there.

Rewd.

Those that cost a lot' date=' are made in China too. I have told friends before they buy them. Then they come here with their brand new box with Celestion Vintage 30s or whatever inside... box says "designed and enginered in england", but once you get the speaker out you notice a little sticker that reads "MADE IN CHINA". My guess is most people take that one out and pretend it didn't happen. [/quote']

Show us some pics or evidence. I have not seen any made in China Celestions. I can't make a judgement either way. I'm from Missouri "the Show Me State"

Toldya! [mad]

I'm not from the US and don't live in there, but I buy, use and recommend US and UK made speakers only. Some people are skeptical as to Celestion's being made in Asia, but I have pics, and I don't really need to lie about it, whenever someone wants me to build a cab for them with celestions, I make more on them than I do on Eminence speakers.

Here is what Celestion says about their guitar loudspeakers:

Celestion Alnico and Heritage Series speakers (as well as some speakers custom built for specific manufacturers) are hand built here in the UK.

All other guitar speakers are made in our own factory, in Southern China, and have been since 2003.

Kind regards,

Customer Service

Celestion, Claydon Business Park, Great Blakenham, Ipswich IP6 0NL, UK

T: +44 (0)1473 835300 W: www.celestion.com E: info@celestion.com

The Celestion G12M Greenbacks should be included in the Heritage Series. According to their website they are. I know my B-52 w/Celestion V-30's sounded too good to be made in China.

Rewd #-o

Thanks for the info, guys.

Speakers are tough to shop for. Every company posts bites, but even Celestion's samples are played through different amps, guitars, pickups, and gain levels. Pretty much makes it a useless tool. I did find some stuff on youtube where speakers were tested with the same amp/ guitar and stuff. I'm still leaning toward the greenbacks, but I like the vintage 30s, too.

Here is what Celestion says about their guitar loudspeakers:

Celestion Alnico and Heritage Series speakers (as well as some speakers custom built for specific manufacturers) are hand built here in the UK.

All other guitar speakers are made in our own factory' date=' in Southern China, and have been since 2003.

Kind regards,

Customer Service

Celestion, Claydon Business Park, Great Blakenham, Ipswich IP6 0NL, UK

T: +44 (0)1473 835300 W: www.celestion.com E: info@celestion.com

The Celestion G12M Greenbacks should be included in the Heritage Series. According to their website they are. I know my B-52 w/Celestion V-30's sounded too good to be made in China.

Rewd [biggrin

Go to the nearest GC and ask for some V30s... I just installed some last week and they were made in china. I don't really have a reason to lie about this. Really.

Go to the nearest GC and ask for some V30s... I just installed some last week and they were made in china. I don't really have a reason to lie about this. Really.

I don't doubt it. If you read what Celestion said. They build certain speakers for certain maufacturers in the UK. B-52 happens to be one of them. I never said if you buy V-30's outright that they would be made in the UK. They would be made in China because they are not part of the Alnico or Heritage line.

Archived