Gibson Brands Forums

2000 SG Gothic

Boyle06

I was lucky this weekend and scored a 2000 Gibson SG Gothic. Although I have played a number of solid electrics over the years, I have never even touched an SG until I purchased this one. I have been able to determine that the SG Gothic is no longer being made as a Gibson but apparent there may be an Epiphone version. I am hoping that the folks on this forum who have knowledge on the SG line would be able to answer a few questions for me:

1) What years where these guitars made?

2) What is an equivalent SG that is being made today?

3) Other than the look, is there anything significantly different between a SG Gothic and the other styles of Gibson SG's that were being made at that time? (Pickups, woods, etc....)

4) Any general observations on this guitar, rarity, long term value, playability...basically any information would be really appreciated since I am starting without much knowledge myself.

I am including a couple of pictures, if any of you would like to see other shots of it just let me know.

I want to thank all of you in advance, I really enjoy reading the postings on this forum and am always amazed by the amount of knowledge the members possess.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

I've seen quite a bunch of these all over the net selling at most for 900 so I don't think it's THAT rare.

As if differences from other models, the fret inlay seems unique and it doesn't have the same pickups as the standard.

Has the same pickups as the SG Special.

So, the difference seems to be the inlays really, which gives it an extra hundred if all of them sell for 900 and specials sell for 800.

I'm not an expert , there could be some kind of special wood, but I know the price range and the pickups etc.

Hope I helped!

Actually, both of your posts help a lot. I really appreciate the link, it gave me the specs that I did not know. I have about zero knowledge on this model so any information is great. I have been really enjoying playing it. I love the sound that I get out of the guitar it is very different from the Les Pauls and Strats I have played. I also find it really comfortable to play, somehow the body really seems to fit me well. hearing that can go for up t $900 about floored me...I only payed $400 for it without a case. I did get a new postal monkey case for $100 to go with it, so out the door I was only at $500. In all reality the value is basically academic since I really have no intention of selling it, but it is nice to know that I seemed to have gotten a decent deal on it. I really do appreciate the information and look forward to anything else any of you may have.

I was a bit more curious about this guitar so I did a little more research.

Used price goes up to 700

New goes up to 900 like I said.

If you ever were to sell it, I'd suggest bringing it to a local guitar shop to get it restored / looking new.

They would probably charge about 100, which gives you 400$ profit IF you were to sell it.

If I were you, I would restore it, sell it for 900 and buy a SG Special since they sell for 400 or more.

Here's a quick link.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=Gibson+SG+Special&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Infact, I would totally do that.

Not only do you get profit, but you can buy the exact same thing but without those moon/star inlays.

Hope I helped even more!

( People sell their Specials at incredibly low prices so they can get new guitars, in this case it doesn't even matter to you since your guitar is practically the same as the special )

Actually' date=' both of your posts help a lot. I really appreciate the link, it gave me the specs that I did not know. I have about zero knowledge on this model so any information is great. I have been really enjoying playing it. I love the sound that I get out of the guitar it is very different from the Les Pauls and Strats I have played. I also find it really comfortable to play, somehow the body really seems to fit me well. hearing that can go for up t $900 about floored me...I only payed $400 for it without a case. I did get a new postal monkey case for $100 to go with it, so out the door I was only at $500. In all reality the value is basically academic since I really have no intention of selling it, but it is nice to know that I seemed to have gotten a decent deal on it. I really do appreciate the information and look forward to anything else any of you may have.

[/quote']

Sounds like another player is hooked on the SG! [cursing][biggrin]

Blambo......

You make a very good point about the SG Special. I went and looked at the specs on the Special and they are identical to the ones listed for the Gothic model. It even says on the SG Special that Gibson used a Crescent Moon inlay on the fret board before June of 2003.

The one thing that is strange about the Gothic model is the use of the Crescent Moon and Star inlay on the fret board along with a picture of Orville Gibson on the back of the head stock. It would appear that Gibson was trying to pay homage to Orville Gibson's early guitar and mandolin inlays, the ones he used around the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century when Gibson himself was still making the instruments. At that time Gibson used the crescent moon and star inlay on the headstock of some of his instruments, especially Mandolins. It just seems out of place to use that pattern on a type of guitar that did not even exist during his time. I would have thought if they were looking try and use a pattern that hearkened back to an earlier era, they would have used it on one of their acoustic instrument lines.

On another note, The pictures I supplied really does not do the guitar justice. I do not know if it because of the flash, but they make the finish look scratched up. It actually is not that way at all. It really looks quite good with only a few small areas on the finish that are not in really good shape. With that said, if I do decide to sell it in the future, I will definitely take your advice. I will have the Luther I take my instruments to for service go over it and put the finish as perfect as possible. For now, however, I am truly enjoying this guitar and plan on continuing with it.

Blambo......

You make a very good point about the SG Special. I went and looked at the specs on the Special and they are identical to the ones listed for the Gothic model. It even says on the SG Special that Gibson used a Crescent Moon inlay on the fret board before June of 2003.

The one thing that is strange about the Gothic model is the use of the Crescent Moon and Star inlay on the fret board along with a picture of Orville Gibson on the back of the head stock. It would appear that Gibson was trying to pay homage to Orville Gibson's early guitar and mandolin inlays' date=' the ones he used around the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century when Gibson himself was still making the instruments. At that time Gibson used the crescent moon and star inlay on the headstock of some of his instruments, especially Mandolins. It just seems out of place to use that pattern on a type of guitar that did not even exist during his time. I would have thought if they were looking try and use a pattern that hearkened back to an earlier era, they would have used it on one of their acoustic instrument lines.

On another note, The pictures I supplied really does not do the guitar justice. I do not know if it because of the flash, but they make the finish look scratched up. It actually is not that way at all. It really looks quite good with only a few small areas on the finish that are not in really good shape. With that said, if I do decide to sell it in the future, I will definitely take your advice. I will have the Luther I take my instruments to for service go over it and put the finish as perfect as possible. For now, however, I am truly enjoying this guitar and plan on continuing with it. [/quote']

Alright man, awesome.

Glad I could help and keep rockin!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Got a 2000 Gothic SG when they came out... The pickups are indeed the 490R & 490T. Pretty sure that was the stock spec and it's backed up on EverythingSG and most other listings I've seen. The 500T was used on the gothic Explorer I believe. It's basically an SG Special with a different finish (Satin Black) and the moom/star inlay.

Love the guitar, my only issues (that are pretty common) are the cracking in the finish along the neck where the fretboard joins and the Satin Black finish goes glossy wherever your hand & arm rest on it while playing. I just got a 26 year old black Gibson Invader and it has no such cracking along the neck. Kind of a mystery as I'm sure both are Nitro finishes. Quality issues?

Another thing I've noticed is how high the frets are on the SG Gothic... it's bugged me for a long time along with the open E string buzzing (another common issue). Neck only has a very (and I mean very) slight relief in it and I've never messed with it but might give it a slight adjustment to get better action. The Invader has very low, almost flat frets and a lower action that is far more comfortable to play. I'm considering having the frets dressed on the SG to match. Just wondering if anybody else has experienced the same.

My SG gothic came with a 490 and a 498t, I bought it nre in 2000, so i have the same year model as you.

the cracking issure is normal in time, however may be a humidity issue, my e sting buzzes a bit too, but it needsd the frets done soon, cant really hear it through an amp.

I ve had it for 10+ done a few mods and sounds plays great...

• 1 year later...

How did it all work out with the SG Gothic Special? I LOVE older Specials, and ebony fingerboards, and I just found a Gothic for sale...

Still have yours?

mark

Archived