Gibson Brands Forums

Same Old Questions.

Rewddawg1

Is it just me or do other people get tired of seeing the same questions over and over: How do I post a Pic?, Is this Gibson a fake?, Here's the serial # what year was it made?, What's the difference between this model and this model?, How do you tune a fish? etc. They can find the answer to most if not all these questions in a few minutes of searching the internet on their own. Yet over and over we keep doing the work for them and answer these common questions. I understand alot of these people are newbies but heck. Shouldn't we just tell them where to find the answers and let them do their own work. I think if we did it this way there would be alot less repeat questions. Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions?

Rewd.

don't forget "which avatar should I use?" [lol]

[biggrin][lol]

yeah, we do see a lot of the same questions, and it's like "yawn" but I probably did the same thing before I learned a little internet forum etiquate. I think it's best to at least partially answer their question and maybe gently remind them of where they can find the info on their own.

Yes. If you do what you say. The forum might a well close. I think people want the 'personal' approach to it. I think they want to chat and be told instead of searching fo the answer.

Well they can be steered in the right direction and I'm not saying evey question has to be answered that way. But I think it's either laziness in some cases and some cases may even have motives other than what they appear. Esp. the is this fake question. Are they testing us to see if their fakes can fool alot of people? When a person is a newbie and that is their first few posts I consider them suspect.

Hey LP I wish I could meet you and Larry at the Botanical Gardens. It sound like a great time. It's just a little too far for me to drive.

Rewd

Yeah that would be fun, the wife and I might check it out...

Tonight, my boys and I are going to a "Build a Band" at the House of Rock night club. Bryan will be playing Eruption on his Strat and Anthony & I will be playing La Villa Strangiato. Now that's what I call fun.

Too bad you live 100 miles away...

There used to be a few sticky's that answered most of those although for what ever reason they have been removed.

I suggested it be brought back' date=' but then it started a 5 page flamewar a while ago... Oh well, then people complain about em.

I use MLP more now... go figure. I just can't leave this place because there are some awesome people here [biggrin

Yeah that would be fun' date=' the wife and I might check it out...

Tonight, my boys and I are going to a "Build a Band" at the House of Rock night club. Bryan will be playing Eruption on his Strat and Anthony & I will be playing La Villa Strangiato. Now that's what I call fun.

Too bad you live 100 miles away...[/quote']

That will be a great time for you and the boys. Eruption is a cool way to go I don't recognize the other song. One of these times I'll have to come up and visit family there. Hopefully we could all get together and enjoy a venue or something.

Peace Bro.

Rewd

Not really, You just gota help em and that is one less person to worry about.

Plus I enjoy hearing what others say about stuff.

I am a gibson newby so its nice for people like me to learn new stuff.

As of people asking if something is fake, well.... you're right how that can be annoying.

Not really' date=' You just gota help em and that is one less person to worry about.

Plus I enjoy hearing what others say about stuff.

I am a gibson newby so its nice for people like me to learn new stuff.

As of people asking if something is fake, well.... you're right how that can be annoying.[/quote']

I guess what I was getting at is making it easier for people to have access to the most frequently asked questions. Someone said there used to be sticky's in most areas for these questions. We have discussed the Is it fake question before and moderators were even considering some to be suspect.

For those of us who have been here for years, yes, there are some questions that are repetitious.

For those newcomers who ask the questions, it is not. Since they're new, they maybe haven't figured out the nuances of doing a search which might yield an answer to their question. (i.e. you have to re-select the search parameter of how far back).

If you find a new comer's question repetitious or tedious, just ignore it and let someone else welcome the newby and answer his question.

For those of us who have been here' date=' yes, there are some questions that are repetitious.

For those who are new here and ask the questions, it is not. Since they're new, they maybe haven't figured out the nuances of doing a search which might yield an answer to their question. (i.e. you have to re-select the search parameter of how far back).

If you find a question repetitious or tedious, just ignore it and let someone else welcome the newby and answer his question.

[/quote']

I agree with you but things can be done to make things easier for newbies. I may have started out this thread sounding like I was complaining but I think it was more a reflection of how I was feeling at the time but not my intent. Below is rule #8 of the forum rules and I think more people should keep this in mind and follow it more often.

8. Before you start a topic, perform a search to see if the question or topic you wish to create has been made before. If it has, post in the topic that already exists. Duplicate topics will be moved or closed.

Archived