Gibson Brands Forums

5/27/08: Learn the Style of Albert King

Guest Gibson Lifestyle

Guest Gibson Lifestyle

Lesson of the Day: Learn the Style of Albert King

052708_video.jpg

Albert King has influenced several generations of blues guitarists and singers, including many of the all-time greats. Everyone from Jimi Hendrix to Stevie Ray Vaughan has claimed King as a major influence, and he himself claimed to be influenced by the likes of Blind Lemon Jefferson and Lonnie Johnson, and even Hawaiian music.

King was a left-handed guitar player, and learned his craft on right-handed guitars that he would flip over so that the low E string was on the bottom. His instrument of choice, of course, was Gibson's legendary Flying V, which he nicknamed "Lucy." His use of unorthodox tunings is well documented, and he was generally considered a "less is more"-type blues player, widely recognized for his expressive bending of notes. His most famous release was a 1967 album titled, Born Under A Bad Sign, and the title track became his most well-known song, to this day still covered by a wide array of artists.

Today's lesson from Doug Fearman at GuitarTricks.com takes a look at King's style, and breaks it down in simple terms for anyone to understand and learn from. He looks at King's well-documented method of fingerpicking, and examines his use of the minor pentatonic scale, which King used extensively throughout his career. By listening to today's lesson, you'll be able to grasp vital aspects of his distinct style and apply them to your own. You'll soon see why King has been such a major influence to so many guitarists around the world.

Click here for today's killer blues lesson on playing in the style of Albert King >>

And please don't forget to check back tomorrow for yet another great lesson from Gibson Lifestyle!

he is my favorite blues guitar player

i knew a guy who played drums with him one night in san fransico, said albert was a real ***** and when he threatened to leave albert pulled a knife on him and said "the hell you are"

interesting little story i thought

Archived