Gibson Brands Forums

Advice on buying a new guitar

pessoaca

Hello everybody,

I'm just beginning to learn guitar this year, since january, and I'm really happy, I think it is the most rewarding thing I've ever done. I have a dreadnought but it is a bit big for me, so I've decided to buy a new good acoustic guitar.

I love the shape of jumbos, but they are really big, so I'd like a mini or small jumbo. I'm very enthusiast with the Gibson J-165 EC reosewood, but that model is hard to find where I live (Spain). I think It would be better to try a guitar before purchasing it.

By like strumming and flatpicking, but I also want to play fingerpicking and country blues. Could you recommend me a good and versatile guitar under 2.600 USD?

Any comment will be very useful for me, so thanks in advance.

As a beginner, start off small.

Don't be jumping torwards a Gibson Les Paul.

I'd get a squier or epiphone guitar, not only are they small (depending on what guitar you get) but its cheap and easy to learn with.

Like, start off with a Squier Strat and then after a year or two, go for a Gibson

If you want an acoustic, Go for the Concert style body. It has a smaller waist and still sounds great. I think the Epiphone starting acoustics are a good choice, and I have a Yamaha FG335. Its a great guitar, (it's a dreadnought design, but not too large, a great beginning guitar). I paid about $125.00 USD for it. For an electric, You can't go wrong with a Epiphone Les Paul Studio. Great Guitar, and affordable.

or you can get yourself a classical guitar' date=' it wont tear up your hands, plus they're cheap[biggrin'] but find a good one.

Classical guitars are only cheap if you buy a cheap one. Steel-string and electric guitars can also be cheap. A quality classical guitar will cost just as much, if not more, as a quality electric guitar.

Since everyone seems to have overlooked the fact that the poster wants an acoustic guitar, and seems to have a $2600 budget, I have a few different (and more useful) recommendations.

If a dreadnought is too big for you, a Gibson Jumbo is also going to be too big. The CJ-165 is smaller, but the rest of the line is not. Otherwise, you need a parlour or concert-sized guitar. Gibson doesn't have too many options in that area, so you're probably going to have to opt for a Martin.

For a Gibson, there are a few models based on the classic L-00, like the Blues King.

Martin has various 00 and 000 models to choose from, starting at $900 and going up to the tens of thousands. There are also the X-series, made in Mexico, which are still nice.

Try a one of the Squier classic vibe series guitars. their nice for the price and it wont die on ya!

I have a Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster thinline. Sounds amazing but the wood isn't that strong.

I am not good with Acoustic, but try going to your local Daddy's or Guitar Center, the ones I live near have a nice room FILLED with acoustics with a wide range of prices

I don't know about the availability of different guitar brands in Spain, so I won't go into that beyond basic examples, but you need to find a guitar that FEELS comfortable to hold against your body and in your hands. As others have said, beginners need not spend a whole lot of money, at least until they are sure they're going to invest the time and effort into learning to play well. Second-hand, or used guitars, can save you a lot of money over the price of new guitars.

However, a mid-quality guitar is almost always more satisfying than a cheap, low quality guitar.

Get a good guitar repair and setup book so you can learn to adjust the truss rod and possibly shave/sand some of the bottom of the guitar saddle. Improving the ACTION on any guitar will go a long way toward making your playing more comfortable.

Now, as to guitar recommendations, that would depend on YOUR size; how big a person YOU are, physically.

If you are a smaller person, you'll very likely find a smaller guitar much more comfortable to play than a larger bodied guitar.

For example, the Epiphone EL-00 is a remarkably inexpensive guitar of good quality that fits small-handed and smaller bodied people very well.

The Gibson Blues King is a higher quality guitar of close to the same size, but with a wider nut width (and wider string spacing) so it would fit just about anyone who likes small bodied guitars but needs wider string spacing. The Epiphone Masterbilt series is a good mid-quality, larger bodied run of guitars that will be comfortable for those with medium-sized body and hands. The Guild GAD series, the GAD R30 (30R) OM guitar is a small bodied guitar with the thinnest neck you will find, yet has a wide 1.75 inch nut spacing (sorry, I don't have a metric conversion handy), and is another good buy, although the tone will vary a lot depending on the strings used; the Epiphones sound better than the Guild, because the Guild uses too heavy a finish spray, but tone will be different between any make and model of guitar, and ease of play is most important to a beginner. Martin has a low cost run of guitars that, like Gibson's Epiphone and Guild's GAD series, will offer good value and good playability following a proper setup.

My advice is to try some guitars in better guitar shops, and discover which neck and body shape FEELS best to you. Buy that guitar, and then get it setup for lower action (or do that yourself), and try several different sets of string gauges in different tensions to find the strings that FEEL best on that guitar. String guage and tension can make a big difference in playbility of any guitar. Playing should be FUN! It should NOT hurt! High action or strings that are too heavy will not help you. Get a comfortable guitar with string height (action) and string gauge that makes playing comfortable.

Once you find the right guitar, and get the right setup and strings, just FIND THE TIME to PLAY! Practice... Practice... and ENJOY it! As a new guitarist, with a comfortable guitar, TIME is what you'll need the most. Every day you play you may discover something that is new to you. Most of us old-timers discover something new a few times a week or month...Something that sounds different, a new way to play a chord... Mistakes that actually improve a song!

There are lots of discoveries hiding in the fretboard.

Finally, get a subscription to Acoustic Guitar magazine (or some other magazines of this kind) online or by postal mail. Good artices, relatively unbiased reviews of guitars and other music gear, and a place to go for information.

LISTEN to guitar recordings... Try to replicate what you hear. Have Fun!

As a beginner' date=' start off small.

Don't be jumping torwards a Gibson Les Paul.

I'd get a squier or epiphone guitar, not only are they small (depending on what guitar you get) but its cheap and easy to learn with.

Like, start off with a Squier Strat and then after a year or two, go for a Gibson[/quote']

++++++++++++++

Realizing the fella asked about acoustic guitar...but based on personal experience and with four kids (three still playing), I would never recommend a beginner buy a cheap instrument...'cause if you do, you won't want to practice. For two reasons. Difficulty to play...difficult on the ears. Go ahead and buy 'quality'...but go used and save a buck or two. Then as you improve, upgrade to better instruments, new even. Avoid Squier...been there, done that...

• 3 weeks later...

++++++++++++++

Realizing the fella asked about acoustic guitar...but based on personal experience and with four kids (three still playing), I would never recommend a beginner buy a cheap instrument...'cause if you do, you won't want to practice. For two reasons. Difficulty to play...difficult on the ears. Go ahead and buy 'quality'...but go used and save a buck or two. Then as you improve, upgrade to better instruments, new even. Avoid Squier...been there, done that...

Not to say what you suggest is wrong but I don't agree with that. I started playing guitar when I was 11 and started on the cheapest of cheap guitars, a Nova. For those who don't it's basically a Wal-Mart brand guitar. Now, 5 years later, the fret markers are falling off (they were stickers), the tuning machines are stripped (they were open) and it doesn't stay it tune, and the guitar sounds flat and terrible. Even with the terrible quality that guitar brought I do not regret starting with that for several reasons: I learned the hard way which made me appreciate finer instruments, when I moved up I played and sounded better, and if I had no interest I wouldn't have lost anyone much money. If you really love playing I don't think that much will stop you from learning. After a year I moved up to a Hagstrom and then after another year into my original interest electric guitar. I got an Epi SG and love the guitar. Just a month ago I upgraded yet again to a Gibson SG Standard. Everything I've learned up to this point was because of the Nova and how it taught me playing guitar isn't easy but it sure is fun. I think it contributed to my ability to play because of how poorly it sounded. Either way I love playing guitar. I'm not saying your way is wrong but that I simply have a different take on it.

I would recommend a Martin, in -16 line, preferrably a 00, 000 or 0MC body size, and with an E option.

Like this...000C-16RGTE AURA or maybe a better size for you - this...00C-16DBGTE.

You sound like you may like a bigger body though, so you'll have to check 'em out!

These are well within your price range and with Martin you will be a proud and happy owner.

I would also recommend spending the money to get high(er) quality - you'll enjoy it much more, it will hold its value, and you will appreciate owning and playing it all the more...not worrying about 'I should have...'.

I completely agree starting with a high quality instrument....I appreciate the quality in my Gibsons, just as much as anyone if not more..I started with a cheap acoustic guitar for three months, then upgraded to a Gibson...and to say you cant appreciate good quality instruments, because you started off early with a good instrument is complete horse sh*t. I think age has more to do with it...I wouldnt give a Gibson to 12 year old, even if hes been playing for a couple years...kids that age and even most teens just dont respect and take care of things.

I completely agree starting with a high quality instrument....I appreciate the quality in my Gibsons, just as much as anyone if not more..I started with a cheap acoustic guitar for three months, then upgraded to a Gibson...and to say you cant appreciate good quality instruments, because you started off early with a good instrument is complete horse sh*t. I think age has more to do with it...I wouldnt give a Gibson to 12 year old, even if hes been playing for a couple years...kids that age and even most teens just dont respect and take care of things.

I'm not sure if this was directed towards me (the appreciation part anyway) but I did not mean that you cannot appreciate a quality instrument without playing a guitar of poor quality first, but it can build that gratitude. If you have lots of money than fine, by the best there is but a half decent Epiphone might be a better start.

but a half decent Epiphone might be a better start.

Why? They said they have $2600 dollars to spend - that will buy an AWESOME high-quality guitar, (or 2!) and a nice acoustic amp if needed too!

What is it about an Epiphone that makes it a possibly better start?

Why? They said they have $2600 dollars to spend - that will buy an AWESOME high-quality guitar, (or 2!) and a nice acoustic amp if needed too!

What is it about an Epiphone that makes it a possibly better start?

I guess I am just going by my conservative spending ideology. I don't like the idea of spending over $500 on a first guitar to not play it again. But I guess if you know you are going to spend loads of cash the Gibson Hummingbird is a great acoustic. The MSRP is $3784 but you might be able to find it for around $2600.

I understand that logic, but I personally I just hate the idea of 'beginner anything'. Like 'beginner fly-fishing kit' - it usually just means "cheaply made stuff you'll want to upgrade ASAP". (not that the Epiphone isn't nice!!). With a guitar, the functionality is usually the same, so 'beginner guitar' usually just means cheap - cheaper build, cheaper components, sub-par electronics and tone, etc. Too...sensitive an instrument not to need one of good quality.

When I decided I wanted to learn how to play guitar (once I knew I could using the kid's Squire), I didn't go in with the mindset that I wouldn't stick with it. I much prefer to get the good stuff right off the bat...it is ALOT more fun learning and keeping interested using quality gear you are proud of! (my 1st guitar was a Martin OMC-15e - not crazy $$, but not cheap either, the 2nd a Les paul Traditional).

Anyway, I think these days with Ebay it is easy enough to get rid of quality stuff, shouldn't be too worried about getting stuck with anything.

That said - all bets are off for kids though! That is a whole 'nother thing - they change their minds way too often and are usually too careless to buy an expensive guitar right off the bat (like my son).

That said - all bets are off for kids though! That is a whole 'nother thing - they change their minds way too often and are usually too careless to buy an expensive guitar right off the bat (like my son).

I guess that's more where I was coming from considering I was 11 when I started. If a child around that age continues to play even with a cheaper guitar (like an Epiphone as I do not wish a NOVA upon anybody...) then you can bet they will stick with it. But yes, if you are past childhood and want to learn (even passed being a teenager) you will probably want a better guitar. You will have to put some serious thought into it though as I have seen four people in my life buy a guitar and recently give up on it all together. It is not easy to learn and you should really think about if you have the time to practice. Luckily all those people own(ed) guitars that were on the inexpensive side.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it really depends on your preferences.

What genres of music do you play?

price range?

any preferences on brands?

a good starter would be an epiphone lp-100 nice sound and good looks too!

with an epi 100 I would save up and buy an epi lp standard, it would be a whole lot worth it. If not go with the epi special II, because all the 100 is different colors and a pick gaurd for 100 bucks more. thats it. the pickups are the same. if you want a burst get special II vintage sunburst. but other than that, i agree with what your saying, it all depends on your preferences.

Buy a Nice gibson SG (with thremolo) And when u decide to stop playing guitar cuz u dont like to play guitar u can give me the guitar no big deal;) [thumbup]

But if u decide to stick with guitar Just begin with a good low priced guitar then u play a few months,decide u stick with guitar u can go buy in the mid class Around 500$ Then when u really really really like to play guitar and wanna stick with it forever BY a good gibson :)

Have fun, StrYk3D

• 3 weeks later...

A very exciting thing to do

Buy your first guitar(s)

In my opinion (if you have the space and commitment)

Is to purchase a comfortable size accoustic

Steel strung or nylon depending on desired music styles

Yamaha seem to offer a real value/quality advantage

And an electric guitar to go crazy with for added motivation

Fender Strat or Tele...Mexico/Japan/Taiwan

Epiphone LP or 335

Vox VT30 or Roland Cube amp

Equipment you can grow with

All for $1500 or so.

Hello everybody,

I'm just beginning to learn guitar this year, since january, and I'm really happy, I think it is the most rewarding thing I've ever done. I have a dreadnought but it is a bit big for me, so I've decided to buy a new good acoustic guitar.

I love the shape of jumbos, but they are really big, so I'd like a mini or small jumbo. I'm very enthusiast with the Gibson J-165 EC reosewood, but that model is hard to find where I live (Spain). I think It would be better to try a guitar before purchasing it.

By like strumming and flatpicking, but I also want to play fingerpicking and country blues. Could you recommend me a good and versatile guitar under 2.600 USD?

Any comment will be very useful for me, so thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome,

You might be interested in a "parlour guitar" - a small-bodied acoustic.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=parlour+guitars&meta=&aq=f&aqi=g4g-m6&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

RN

• 1 month later...

my son was 14 and a budding guitarist in his own right...then he got his first Gibson...a meaty LP Studio Deluxe with great tone...and then a few months later an American Strat off eBay .... and BOOOM!!....he's now the talk of the town at 15. Why? He simply couldn't put down his new 'quality' instruments. Those two wonderful guitars encouraged him to practice constantly due to their superior sound and playability. I too experienced the same thing after I got my 'quality' axes...I play everyday now...switching btwn LP Trad, SG Stnd, and Amer Strat. I now love to hear myself play (even if my son doesn't!) ...that's saying alot! [sleep]

• 3 weeks later...

I totally agree in having any instrument that you like, feels and plays good to you and is in your budget, whether it be a Squier or a Gibson or anything in between. Find the one that feels like it fits you like a glove and that will inspire you to play it all the time. I started on an old Squier that I just couldn't get inspired by. I then put it down and never really picked it back up. Then a few years later I got an Epiphone SG and was more inspired(it just felt better in my hands and was a lot easier to play). I have had USA made Stratocasters, Japan made custom shop Ibanezs, and all kinds in between. My Gibson(s) have inspired me most, and though I still consider myself a "novice" guitar player, I feel that the better you feel about your instrument, the more you will enjoy it and the art in itself of guitar playing. This will make you not want to put the instrument down and with practice you will be as good as you want to be in the craft.

hotrod

Archived