Gibson Brands Forums

2 Quick SG Questions

blambo1223

Here are 2 quick questions.

1. Will this bigsby tailpiece fit in the standard hardshell cases? ( Not buying that guitar, its just the only pic i could find of the thing)

http://cgi.ebay.com/SG-Custom-w-Bigsby-Style-Vibrato-3-Humbuckers-Cherry-/280533667485?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item41511c0e9d

2. How easy is it to remove a pickguard on the SG Standard.

Reason I ask is because I know strats have **** and electronics under their pickguard, but I've seen people with no pickguard on their SG.

Thanks!

-Jon

(I am restoring my friends SG)

I don't own an SG with a Bigsby but I have heard that they fit with no problem if you swing the arm back by the pots.

The pickguard is easy to remove. Here's a pic of my SG with the pickguard off.

photo-49.jpg

First you remove the strings. Be careful because once there is no string tension the tailpiece will be loose and it can fall on the guitar and ding it up. Remove the tailpice and the bridge. (The bridge will lift right off). Leave the screws for the tailpiece in and try not to move them. Unsrew the posts that hold the bridge up and remove them. Then you just carefully unscrew the pickguard with the screws around the perimeter of the pickguard. Don't touch the screws that hold the pickups unless you want to remove them. Just look at my picture and you can see how it should look.

I don't own an SG with a Bigsby but I have heard that they fit with no problem if you swing the arm back by the pots.

The pickguard is easy to remove. Here's a pic of my SG with the pickguard off.

photo-49.jpg

First you remove the strings. Be careful because once there is no string tension the tailpiece will be loose and it can fall on the guitar and ding it up. Remove the tailpice and the bridge. (The bridge will lift right off). Leave the screws for the tailpiece in and try not to move them. Unsrew the posts that hold the bridge up and remove them. Then you just carefully unscrew the pickguard with the screws around the perimeter of the pickguard. Don't touch the screws that hold the pickups unless you want to remove them. Just look at my picture and you can see how it should look.

Oy... that kinda scares me.

Reason I wanted to take it off is to switch the one it has now, its scratchy as hell.

So, let me rephrase it.

Is it easy to switch pickguards or is there a product that is garanteed to remove the scratches from the pickguard?

It is easy. It just sounds scary because I explained every little detail.

Just be careful working with tools around the guitar. You can easily scratch or ding it. I like to put a rag or towel over the guitar to protect it while I'm working.

Is there anyhing stuck or glued under the pickguard and is there a scratch remover that works

for the effort/cost/chance of damaging the nitro when using a scratch remover, you may as well get a new pickugard. Its not too hard, especially with the 61' reissue half pickguard, the bigger guards are harder to do, but dont worry about it everything is simple to take apart and put back together, and we are always here to help :-s

for the effort/cost/chance of damaging the nitro when using a scratch remover' date=' you may as well get a new pickugard. Its not too hard, especially with the 61' reissue half pickguard, the bigger guards are harder to do, but dont worry about it everything is simple to take apart and put back together, and we are always here to help [blush][/quote']

So this is what I do with the bigger pickguard? :-

"First you remove the strings. Be careful because once there is no string tension the tailpiece will be loose and it can fall on the guitar and ding it up. Remove the tailpice and the bridge. (The bridge will lift right off). Leave the screws for the tailpiece in and try not to move them. Unsrew the posts that hold the bridge up and remove them. Then you just carefully unscrew the pickguard with the screws around the perimeter of the pickguard. Don't touch the screws that hold the pickups unless you want to remove them. Just look at my picture and you can see how it should look."

Archived