Gibson Brands Forums

The perfect riff thread

ZenKen

We've all heard them. The guitar riff that fits the song so perfectly it almost makes you cry. Sometimes the song isn't even one you are particularly fond of but that darn riff is just so perfect.......

So last night on my way home from work I'm flipping around the radio dial and come upon a live version of Maybe I'm Amazed when old Paul was at the height of his power as a vocalist. Then, just as I'm ready to click to the next station that riff comes. Not the greatest song, not the most technically difficult riff, not anything new at the time, but it just worked so well within the composition of the song.

So boys and girls, tell us your perfect riff. The one that fits like a glove. The one that you wish you had created inthe studio of the live stage for the song of the moment. There have been many. List em up!

Coming soon.....

The riff from Hell. The one that made you think...huh? :-

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Into The Void' -Black Sabbath.

It's probably my favorite 'Sabbath song (besides 'A National Acrobat'). I swear some bands have made entire albums based on just 1 or 2 riffs from that song.

We've all heard them. The guitar riff that fits the song so perfectly it almost makes you cry. Sometimes the song isn't even one you are particularly fond of but that darn riff is just so perfect.......

So last night on my way home from work I'm flipping around the radio dial and come upon a live version of Maybe I'm Amazed when old Paul was at the height of his power as a vocalist. Then' date=' just as I'm ready to click to the next station that riff comes. Not the greatest song, not the most technically difficult riff, not anything new at the time, but it just worked so well within the composition of the song.

So boys and girls, tell us your perfect riff. The one that fits like a glove. The one that you wish you had created inthe studio of the live stage for the song of the moment. There have been many. List em up!

Coming soon.....

The riff from Hell. The one that made you think...huh? :) [/quote']

cooking up some more spam?

I'd say one of the best ever was Amos Garrett's bit with Maria Muldaur's "Midnight at the Oasis."

Of course about anything Bloomfield did with Paul Butterfield, too.

The Garrett thing with Muldaur and that song kinda indicates to me how hard it is to categorize music, too. The chord structure of the piece was as complex as about anything "pop," or jazz, but it's kinda a blues. Or was it "Rock?"

m

Highway To Hell - AC/DC

It's A Long Way To The Top - AC/DC

She's Got Balls - AC/DC

Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin

Layla - Derek And The Dominoes (possibly the coolest guitar riff of all time) [cool]

Hells Bells - AC/DC

Sweet Leaf - Black Sabbath

Estranged - Guns N' Roses

Fire - Jimi Hendrix

Nightrain - Guns N' Roses

Civil War - Guns N' Roses

Heartbreaker - Led Zeppelin

Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin

When The Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin

Black Dog - Led Zeppelin

Back From Cali - Slash

By The Sword - Slash

Very Long List!!!

#-o #-o [cool]

I'd say the majority of Iommi's Sabbath riffs are sweet. My favorites are "Supernaut," "A National Acrobat" (again, but it's just such a great riff,) "Snowblind," and "N.I.B." I also like the riffs on Sleep's Holy Mountain, arguably one of the most blatant Sabbath-imitations of all time (not that that's a bad thing.) My favorite from them is "Dragonaut," and is definitely one of the coolest riffs out there. I also dig the riff off of Kiss' "She" (from Dressed To Kill.) Of course "Sunshine Of Your Love" is one of my favorites, and in fact it's the first one I ever learned to play. I like a lot of CCR's riffs, especially on "Fortunate Son," "Run Through The Jungle," and "Green River." I also love "Smokestack Lightning" by Howlin' Wolf, and also the majority of riffs composed by either Howlin' Wolf or Willie Dixon.

Ok I don't know if this counts as a riff, probably not but the finger picking in Babe I'm gonna leave you by Led Zeppelin is so beautiful I can't get enough of that tune.... I almost have it down on guitar now, it's only been about three years working on it... [cool]

Archived