Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson is BLEEDING on me!

97LPClassic

Hi guys, I have never had this happen in the 31 years of guitar playing.

I have a 2008 Gibson. It's like the stain is litterally staining me! You know how your hands & face look after eating pistachios, right? Well, that's what is happening.

Anyone want to help? Gibson forum guy, should I send the guitar back in? What is going on? Is this normal?

All my clothes are becomming red, my hands look red, I tried to use a very slightly damp cloth to wipe it up. Look at the pics. Crazy[confused]

Please help me before the guitar turns pink!

No doubt. I'm just afraid it'll turns very cute pink/natural finish!!!

Pink is typically not the color your trying to convey while playing an extremely macho looking/sounding metal guitar!!! Lol. What the he'll do I do now! LMownAO

Send an email to Gibson and get it replaced - presuming that you haven't done anything to break loose the stain.

No doubt. I'm just afraid it'll turns very cute pink/natural finish!!!

Pink is typically not the color your trying to convey while playing an extremely macho looking/sounding metal guitar!!! Lol. What the he'll do I do now! LMownAO

Well....you're gonna have a glam metal guitar :-

:-k

Ha, That's too funny!

KL, no insect repellent used in my office! As you can see, bamboo floors, walnut wood trim on the chair-rails in a contemporary home in Western Oregon (no humidity) and no heater vents as it's currently summer.

It's like the stain decided to call it quits!

Looks like I'll be playing my Les Paul for a while until this gets addressed, thanks for the info guys!

I have a "Faded" Double Cutaway Special, (TV Yellow) and it's never done that! The back of the neck

is worn down, to the wood (naturally), now...but, it never came off, on my hands (or clothes, or even polishing cloth),

in the process. I think someone at Gibson, forgot the lite "clear coat," sealer!

I would (definitely) send it back, with all appropriate paperwork (if you still have it), and have them refinish it,

or replace it! I've never seen that, kind of problem, either...from any guitar I've ever owned of played.

Good luck, and let us know, what you find out and what they'll do, about it.

Cheers,

CB

Very strange.

My faded cherry V don't do that.

at the beggining the red came off a bit on the cloth with which I polished it, but now it never lost any more red.

Maybe the place you live in full of moisture and it makes the stain melt by capilarity

I get some pink on my polishing cloth from my 'satin' cherry LP Jnr and the rear of the neck is definately fading (less than 12 months old and under 45 gigs). I know these cheaper finishes help to keep the cost of the instrument down but I expected it to be harder wearing than this. I contacted Gibson and they suggested I get it assessed for a warranty claim. They were very good about it actually.

I get some pink on my polishing cloth from my 'satin' cherry LP Jnr and the rear of the neck is definately fading (less than 12 months old and under 45 gigs). I know these cheaper finishes help to keep the cost of the instrument down but I expected it to be harder wearing than this. I contacted Gibson and they suggested I get it assessed for a warranty claim. They were very good about it actually.

I think if the finish comes off that easy it is not fit for purpose and therefore it is definitely a warranty issue.

I know that Gibson had financial difficulties back in the seventies. Perhaps the economy today is causing them to "bleed red ink" again? All kidding aside, I'd think that you'd have a pretty solid claim for some warranty work. Something didn't go right with that one, IMHO. Good luck.

Thanks, Kerry Char is actually my luthier! I have had him set all my guitars up for many years. He's in No. Po on the Penninsula.

I just don't want to do anything (or have Char do anything which might void warranty, implied or otherwise) until I hear back from the Gibson fellow who I have just started dialogue with. I understand that the topic of "finishes" is a grey area. Gibson has always been good to me & straight up with any warranty or repair issues that I have ever had.

I had this condition on my 2009 satin cherry LPJ.... It wasn't as bad as the thread starters, but it did shock me...:-k

I gave it to my Luthier and he did something to the finish to stop the bleeding, and it didn't break the bank

Archived