Gibson Brands Forums

I think Hawking has gone around the bend

jaxson50

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So Steve Hawking's believe we must abandon the Earth.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100809/sc_afp/sciencespacehawking

Er right.

I agree he might be losing it - or looking for funding for something.

How many do we want to send to colonise space? And what kinds of people? Management consultants? Telephone sanitisers?

This ain't going to be cheap. Is this the best thing to do with the money? Mightn't it be more cost-effective to spend the money on terrestrial measures to reduce climate change?

R

I think he's just trying to shake things up a little and get some people to look harder at the serious issue on this planet. He knows better than most about the physical impossibility of traveling to deep space for humans.

Our bodies have eveolved on planet Earth. Even if we do find some habitable planet light years away and could somehow get there, would it have the same length of day and gravity as Earth among other things?

We will all be gone before this earthly home is through. :-s

True. Earth will be around at least another 4 billion years, but how much of that time will this planet be livable? I don't hold much hope for my not yet conceived children, much less their children. The future isn't looking too bright.

I think Mr. Hawking is speaking truth. Before we blow ourselves up and wipe out the last 100+ years of knowledge and scientific progress, let's start looking into long distance manned space travel, living in space, & terraforming Mars. With Mars, it would only take 100 years to make a large, livable area on the planet.

True. Earth will be around at least another 4 billion years' date=' but how much of that time will this planet be livable? I don't hold much hope for my not yet conceived children, much less their children. The future isn't looking too bright.

I think Mr. Hawking is speaking truth. Before we blow ourselves up and wipe out the last 100+ years of knowledge and scientific progress, let's start looking into long distance manned space travel, living in space, & terraforming Mars. With Mars, it would only take 100 years to make a large, livable area on the planet.

[/quote']

Not having children because you believe the world to be doomed basically means it is. If you give up hope for a better tomorrow for your children you might as well go jump in a space ship and blast off because humanity has no use for you.

Not having children because you believe the world to be doomed basically means it is. If you give up hope for a better tomorrow for your children you might as well go jump in a space ship and blast off because humanity has no use for you.

Ouch! Can I get some KY with that post?

I work hard and live the best life I can and do the best for us as a whole because the alternative is to curl up and die, but I do think we have passed a point of no return. Too many people with too much power & money whose only goal is more power & money for themselves. At the very least we are headed to another dark ages.

What makes you so optimistic, sunshine?

I work hard and live the best life I can and do the best for us as a whole because the alternative is to curl up and die' date=' but I do think we have passed a point of no return. Too many people with too much power & money whose only goal is more power & money for themselves. At the very least we are headed to another dark ages.

What makes you so optimistic, sunshine?[/quote']

History.

People have had doomsday scenarios about the future since we knew what the future was. Kings and Queens and despots and businessmen have been trying to get power and money since there's been power and money. There's absolutely no reason to believe that the centuries ahead of us will be any worse than the ones we grew up in, but there will be a lot of people who believe it to be for one reason or another.

Infact, since we stopped using CFC's in a lot of our products the hole in the ozone layer has actually begun to repair itself. The scientific community is predicting if we maintain this route our ozone will actually return to pre 1950's levels by 2050 (ish).

Look man, we don't see eye to eye on a lot of topics, and that's cool it takes all kinds for the world to go around, but when someone basically says I don't want to have kids in a crappy world, then they've pretty much reserved themselves to have absolutely no reason to make it any better. Get me?

Look man' date=' we don't see eye to eye on a lot of topics, and that's cool it takes all kinds for the world to go around, but when someone basically says I don't want to have kids in a crappy world, then they've pretty much reserved themselves to have absolutely no reason to make it any better. Get me? [/quote']

I get you, brother. And for the record I never said I wasn't going to piss in the gene pool because the world is craptastic. At the very least I hope to raise one or two little tooth aches for "the man".

If Sci Fi taught me anything is that we will be living in the vast reaches of the universe' date=' and it will still be ****ty....cuz Humans are dicks...LOL! [/quote']

Sounds like another Philip K. **** fan, no? Nazis colonizing Mars?

I work hard and live the best life I can and do the best for us as a whole because the alternative is to curl up and die' date=' but I do think we have passed a point of no return. Too many people with too much power & money whose only goal is more power & money for themselves. At the very least we are headed to another dark ages.

What makes you so optimistic, sunshine?[/quote']

I agree with you. I completely believe the world is going downhill. Right now, everyone is worried about the earth, but I wholeheartedly believe mankind will do something to muck it up before the earth or the sun go. That's what scares me. We don't live in a world of rules, we live in a world of agendas. It's scary going into college, no longer having that guarantee that "I have my diploma, hand me a job with a good salary and full benefits attached to it". Life is changing.

I see this thread going downhill fast. I think some valid points can be made, can we keep this one alive? I'm curious to see how this goes

What makes you so optimistic' date=' sunshine?[/quote']

In the winter of 878, King Alfred of Wessex was driven from Chippenham, and forced to take refuge in the swamps outside of Somerset. For all practical intents and purposes, the Danes now controled all of England. For the next several weeks, most of those who escaped from the Danes at Chippenham tried to figure out how they were going to get to Frankia and escape the Vikings.

Alfred planned out how to not just take back Wessex, but to unite England as one Kingdom.

Be glad there are optimists. Piss not upon their Wheaties in the mornings.

:-k

I hate to say it, but the life cycle of a star dictates that we, as a species, will eventually need to relocate to survive. What Steven Hawking is saying isn't a huge leap in logic, overall.

Archived