Gibson Brands Forums

Studio VM

SilverLesterStd

I earned some booty when I made my amp purchase Monday. GC's promotion of the day - Spend $1799 or more and get a free Studio VM or SG Special Faded. I took the VM. Only prob is that I can't afford to keep her. [-X My son has a new VM and I have the Silverburst. The amp left a vacuum in the bank.

I'm gonna put the new axe on Ebay. Any ideas on the best and most ethical way to sell her. Should I offer her NIB or open the box and try her out? What are the warranty considerations?

I am very interested in your sage opinions. Thanks in advance.

I believe Gibson warranties are transferable. I'm not sure about Guitar Center's

polices.

Hey just tell the truth on eBay. Find out about the warranty so you add that detail.

Does it have a hardshell case ? If not say local pickup. Let them know you have a new

VM that you can't keep, that's in excellent condition.

Good luck.

How much do you expect to get out of her? maybe you should throw in a little case candy... that can make a difference for ebayers. I would make sure about GCs warranty policies before selling her, so that the buyer wont come to you if something happens.

Nice deal by the way

Gibson warranty IS transferrable, if you got the extended one from G.C. it is NOT transferrable, nor refundable, speaking from experience. But I think Gibson's only covers issues like finish, workmanship on the BODY of the guitar, not the electronics.

I believe Gibson warranties are transferable. I'm not sure about Guitar Center's

polices.

Hey just tell the truth on eBay. Find out about the warranty so you add that detail.

Does it have a hardshell case ? If not say local pickup. Let them know you have a new

VM that you can't keep' date=' that's in excellent condition.

Good luck.[/quote']

Wow, I just called Gibson today 66x and the customer serv. guy said I could not transfer the warrenty. :-$ I'm thinking about taking the guitar out of the box then initializing the warranty for me with Gibson. Then maybe playing the guitar (what a tough job, huh?) to see if there are any issues. If so, I can take the beauty back to GC within 30 days and have it repaired or replaced.

Then I could offer a sweet axe of a known quality. My son played about 6 Vintage Mahogony LPs before finding that special one. It is one great playing and sounding guitar!

What do you guys think? Is that feasible, or am I making too big of a deal out of the situation? I know I (if I were the buyer) would hate to get a new guitar out of the box and find a major (even moderate) problem and not have any recourse, but to shell out more hard earned green. :-&

Also, it does have the hardshell case - NIB = new in box.

3th3r - The 1799 + was spent on my amp. Please see the previous thread from Tuesday. It says something about a wedding in my family.

T-god - I am wanting to get $700. I think that'll be a win/win situation for me AND the buyer. I do have one perspective local buyer who might get it as a High School Grad. present.

Thanks. I thought it was a cool deal as well. I kind of wish something would fall through and I'd HAVE to keep it. I'd be like Bro' Rabbit in the briar patch. PLEASE don't MAKE me keep that Les Paul :-$

If it was a free guitar, I would keep it. How can you not afford it, it was free! O:)

For eBay, I wouldn't mention why you are selling it, just put "brand new, mint condition & never played." Who knows, you might get somebody from over seas inquiring...Gibsons cost a fortune in Australia.

Hey how about you try to sell it to a Guitar Center ? Other than the GC that gave it

to you.

Or some other music shop. Then you won't have to worry about warranty.

They will probably burn you on the price but you'll get something fast.

Hey how about you try to sell it to a Guitar Center ? Other than the GC that gave it

to you.

Or some other music shop. Then you won't have to worry about warranty.

They will probably burn you on the price but you'll get something fast.

If you try to sell something to Guitar Center your not going to get anywhere near what you should, they can only buy stuff from you at the price they buy from the factory at the most. Since they buy in bulk it's not much. Earlier this year I tried to sell a Line 6 Spider III 150 guitar amp, it was in mint condition and they could only give me $150 for it.

Possibly another Lazarus thread -

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I've been foot dragging. I guess I (as usual) said too much and watered down the

real question I have. Do you think I should leave her in the box (unopened), or take her out to see if there are issues, if so then return her to GC for swap or adjustment and then sell her?

Well Ian, does this qualify as a Lazarus thread? :D

Possibly another Lazarus thread -

Sorry to resurrect this thread' date=' but I've been foot dragging. I guess I (as usual) said too much and watered down the

[b']real[/b] question I have. Do you think I should leave her in the box (unopened), or take her out to see if there are issues, if so then return her to GC for swap or adjustment and then sell her?

Well Ian, does this qualify as a Lazarus thread? :-s

Hi - I have some experience selling guitars on Ebay. I am often in the exact same situation you are in. I am not an authorized Gibson Dealer, therefore you and I are NOT able to offer the buyer a Warranty. Warranty from Gibson is only to original Purchaser from a factory authorized Dealer, stated clearly on the Warranty Documentation.

As for your situation in wondering whether or not to open the box and check the guitar to insure it is not defective, in my experience it is best to open the box and check the guitar. You do not want your buyer to open the box and find a problem. If you open it and find a problem it is easy to bring it back to GC and get a new one. If your buyer does get an unopened box and finds a problem, he has to ship it back to you, you return it to GC, get another, and then reship to your buyer. What a hassle!

Just be honest in your Ebay advertisement and state that you have opened the box, plugged in and tested to inspect the Guitar to insure no defects, no damage and no blemishes. The guitar is still brand new, just tested for quality assurance. Now if you play(ed) the guitar more than just to test it, that would be different of course, then it would be used. I am sure Gibson tests each Guitar before boxing and shipping, (hence packing check list), which is the same thing you as a seller should be doing.

Honesty is always the best policy and nipping a problem in the bud before it blossoms is always the easiest solution.

I also strongly recommend opening the box and checking the item before reselling. List the guitar as Used-Mint, not New. I would not mention the warrenty, most people understand that no warrenty exists on a used item.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/WarrantyRegistration/GibsonUSAWarranty/

Another advantage of opening the box is that you can photograph the actual guitar the buyer will receive. Some folks appriciate seeing exactly what they are buying, again, no surprises for the buyer.

I recommend using the Fixed-Price, Buy-It-Now with Immediate-Payment-Required option. The item will cost about $5 to list and you are gurenteed to get your asking price and money. If you don't require immediate payment with PayPal, then you can get buyers who Buy-It but never pay for it. Then you're stuck going theough eBay's process for refunding Final Value Fees which can take about three weeks. During which time you are obligated to hold the guitar in case the buyer decides to pay up. I've never had a dead beat change his mind but it could happen and you must be able to deliver or you become the Bad Guy.

OOC - Great ideas. I've got my hand on the box (almost) as I type.

Geetar_Axl - When the box comes open I just may... Yes, that + a little is what I paid. I know it is alot, but others of this type were 2K + online. I had a DeVille in my sights (to keep from that LPs must go with Marshall syndrom) and probably would have come to like it, but when I heard my Standard coming through this amp, and knew I'd get a free axe with it. I jumped high and sank deep.

That's all I've got to say about that. I've gotta get of this park bench. My a$$ is getting numb - you know where they shot me in the buttock.

Archived