Gibson Brands Forums

My nasty review on Guitar Center plus need help

blambo1223

Recently, I was working on my friends Gibson SG Standard and I was so impressed with it, I had to but my own.

So I'm here looking all over the place for one, and WOOLA, I find one on guitarcenter.com for only 800.00.

So I say to myself, okay, 800 vs 1,200 sounds quite good to me (it was used) so I call up the store that owns it and it turns out they don't ship store to store for free like daddys junky music does. So I am still saying to myself Okay, whatever, shipping only costs like 3 dollars so that's okay to me. Then I ask about any flaws on the model. All I am told is that there are minor scratches on the pickguard and " from doing what a guitar is supposed to have done to it ".

So I chuckle and say okay, give it to me.

Then I notice on my bill, it was 850 instead of 803 dollars but I didn't really care.

A week later, aka right now, I found a box next to my house with the top of it open....

I look down and there is my SG Standard so I say Wtf happened?

I bring it inside, take it out and was disgusted.

There is this nasty smudge of goo on the side of the neck, scratches all over the place, the cover of the pickup switch wasn't glued in ( the thing that says Treble and rhythm ) the low E string seems a little bit odd, the bottom strap peg (not sure what it is called but the thing you put the strap on that has 2 parts, one on the back and on at the bottom) isnt glued in and is all wobbely.

I am not sure if this is how it is supposed to be but the pickups can be easily moved up and down in there spot.

So here are some questions for people to answer if they can.

Should I just return this thing and find a different SG, or should I pay to get it repaired and cleaned up.

What can you tell me from the serial number about it.

If I brought it to a local guitar shop, could they clean up the pickguard and the bridge, pickups from scratches?

How much from what the issues seem to be, would it cost to get it all cleaned up?

As of my review, they obviously shipped to me what was on the shelves of their store.

So I am disgusted that they didn't clean this guitar from the goo and other **** on it.

PICS

http://img24.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=badsg001.jpg

RETURN IT.

Look on craigslist to find your guitar. You can get one in much better condition for the same price (or less).

I bought my SG for about $850 new and it was almost flawless. It's the best guitar. You should have the same feeling. Don't waste your money.

It sounds like you just need to tighten everything up and give it a good cleaning. It is a used guitar

I know its used but the only flaw they told me was the scratched pickguard....

and I don't know if I should just return it or go to a guitar shop and pay to get it repaired

RETURN IT!!!

You would end up paying more to fix it than you would if bought a lovely new SG Standard.

Basic rules about used guitars at Guitar Center:

1. Most of them are in pretty shi!ty condition

2. If your calling to ask about one, they will say anything to make the sale

3. If it sounds to good to be true, you better put your wallet back in your pants because it is!

Hope this helps! :-

If you don't like it return it however a lot of the things you're complaining about are normal for the guitar which leads me to believe some of the people here who know better didn't really read it and just jumped on the Trash GC bandwagon.

The switch washer (treble bass thing) isn't glued in on any of mine - it's a washer - not a cover and it's held in place by the knurled nut that holds the switch on. Position the switch washer the way you want it and tighten the nut - it should be good.

The pickups are supposed to "float", that's the way Gibson designed them.

The strap buttons aren't glued on either - they're held on by the screws that go inside them. Tighten the screws and you should be fine. If the screws are stripped, then you have an issue.

You should always replace the strings after you by a used guitar - the "odd" E string is probably just someone else's preference.

The serial number says it's a 2003 made on the March 30th.

They probably charged you $850 because they're required by law to charge state tax in those states that have state sales tax.

There are 2 2003 SG standards on E-bay right now, one is $850, the other is $1150. So the price was in line with that, I also looked at Craiglist in Houston, Austin and Dallas and didn't find a 2003 but found several 2004's for $950 - $1150. So the price appears to be in line with current asking prices although it sounds like CG could have done a better job cleaning it up.

I definately read what he said and it sounds to me like he should take it back. I'm not just trying to dis GC but honestly they absolutely suck for used guitars. I wouldn't even consider buying used from them.

Buying used takes patience. It's not about looking on craiglist once and assuming that's how it is. You have to wait for a deal to come up. $800 is a fair price but you can get lower. It's more about condition and the seller lying to make a sale.

You know what guys, I've been thinking a lot about it and I think I will bring it to Daddys and see how much they charge to make it look brand new.

If it isn't TO MUCH, maybe under 200, I will do it.

I really hate getting into this where I have to return it, get a new one and it also ends up sucking etc.

I will keep you all updated but please keep up the postings and thanks for the great help

It's dirty and needs a set-up and new strings and as far as the strap buttons being two pieces and feeling loose sound like straplocks? Strange that nobody has mentioned or asked but what does it sound like, after all it's a guitar.

Take it somewhere and have them look it over a $50 dollar set-up and you might be in good shape and even a new guitar usually needs to be set-up when you buy one. If is sounds good great keep it and fix it up if it sounds crappy easy decision return it.

Yeah, what does it sound like? Sounds like you're disappointed, but have hope for it. I don't know if there's an "emotional" part here, but go with your head in this case, I would suggest. You could get a better one. A lot of people sell their well beat up stuff at GC as I've seen them "inspect"

an SG (by playing a couple of power chords)and the guy said "it works". I bet they put a high price on it. Your call.

Sounds like you bought a used guitar, sight unseen and are now disappointed that a brand new one didn't arrive at your door.

A used "anything" salesman is just that and will tell you anything you wanna hear to make the sale.

Only you can decide if it's the guitar for you. I agree with Retro on this, that it sounds like most of whats wrong with it are minor issues and correctable. Pay for the set up and rock on.

Lesson learned....... BUYER BEWARE!

I've bought many used guitars but never without actually playing them first.

As a matter of fact I was at the GC Tuesday and played a beautiful '03 Olympic White American Strat. Almost brought her home with me but I'm gonna sell off a couple of the herd first.

Sounds like you bought a used guitar' date=' sight unseen and are now disappointed that a brand new one didn't arrive at your door.

A used "anything" salesman is just that and will tell you anything you wanna hear to make the sale.

Only you can decide if it's the guitar for you. I agree with Retro on this, that it sounds like most of whats wrong with it are minor issues and correctable. Pay for the set up and rock on.

Lesson learned....... BUYER BEWARE!

I've bought many used guitars but never without actually playing them first.

As a matter of fact I was at the GC Tuesday and played a beautiful '03 Olympic White American Strat. Almost brought her home with me but I'm gonna sell off a couple of the herd first.

[/quote']

I don't think you understand, the guitar was only said to have a scratchy pickguard so the guy lied to me when it arrived at my door with goo on the neck and other problems and I just don't know what to ****ing do....

Will take videos.

Any way you want to cut it, 850.00 dollars for a used SG Standard is a deal. Anything broken? Anything missing? Everything work? If so, you got a deal my friend. If not, THEN you return it. This all sounds like cosmetic problems and nothing thats going to affect the sound or playability.

Any way you want to cut it' date=' 850.00 dollars for a used SG Standard is a deal. Anything broken? Anything missing? Everything work? If so, you got a deal my friend. If not, THEN you return it. This all sounds like cosmetic problems and nothing thats going to affect the sound or playability.[/quote']

After playing it some more, i think there are a few more issues.

I am going to bring it to Daddy's Junky Music tomorrow and see what they can do and how much and if it is quite a lot, I will call up that GC and say I think I should get some of my money back (probably like 50 - 100)

Loose pots? Goo? Scratched 'all over the place'?

Sounds like a GC floor model to me. Did they mention anywhere that it was 'used' or a 'demonstrator'?

Where'd you plunk down your 850?

$3 to ship? Now I think YOU are dreaming. I can't mail a box of Ho-Ho's across town for $3. $50.00 might be over actual shipping charges, but not by much. That's why they call it Shipping AND Handling.

Oh, return it.

If you don't like it return it however a lot of the things you're complaining about are normal for the guitar which leads me to believe some of the people here who know better didn't really read it and just jumped on the Trash GC bandwagon.

The switch washer (treble bass thing) isn't glued in on any of mine - it's a washer - not a cover and it's held in place by the knurled nut that holds the switch on. Position the switch washer the way you want it and tighten the nut - it should be good.

The pickups are supposed to "float"' date=' that's the way Gibson designed them.

The strap buttons aren't glued on either - they're held on by the screws that go inside them. Tighten the screws and you should be fine. If the screws are stripped, then you have an issue.

You should always replace the strings after you by a used guitar - the "odd" E string is probably just someone else's preference.

The serial number says it's a 2003 made on the March 30th.

They probably charged you $850 because they're required by law to charge state tax in those states that have state sales tax.

There are 2 2003 SG standards on E-bay right now, one is $850, the other is $1150. So the price was in line with that, I also looked at Craiglist in Houston, Austin and Dallas and didn't find a 2003 but found several 2004's for $950 - $1150. So the price appears to be in line with current asking prices although it sounds like CG could have done a better job cleaning it up.[/quote']

Here's the best advice you were given. These problems are so minor, you can do the repair yourself. Before you spend any more money or hastily return the guitar, try flyingarmadillo suggestions. You have nothing to lose.

I don't think you understand' date=' the guitar was only said to have a scratchy pickguard so the guy lied to me when it arrived at my door with goo on the neck and other problems and I just don't know what to ****ing do....

Will take videos.[/quote']

I understood perfectly thats why I said a salesman will tell you anything to make a sale.

Don't be a d!ck.

Clean it up or send it back for cryin' out loud!!

You make the freakin choice.

I read this yesterday and didn't post, assuming the thread would quickly become a "Guitar Center is evil" thread.

Now that it hasn't, I agree with much of what has been said. The issues you seem to have with this guitar are standard used guitar issues... maybe they weren't fully disclosed, but it's still a good price.

The pickup selector ring is backwards - so loosen the nut and spin it around. It will take thirty seconds.

Spend ten minutes with a wet towel and get the goo off. Then polish.

If you're upset that the pickups are scratched, and you spend money to have them polished, you're going to spend the same money a week later to take out more scratches. Pickups gets scratched.

I'm still not sure what is wrong with the strap buttons.

Archived