Gibson Brands Forums

First SG

custer

I have owned quite a few guitars over the years and I am getting ready to purchase my first SG.

My question.. Is there a big difference in sound and quality between the SG Special ( not faded )

and the SG Standard? I know the Standard has the upgraded inlays, pick up covers and hard case

but sound is my biggest concern. Thanks!

I've taken lessons for quite a while now, and when I told my instructor about getting an SG Standard, he told me quite a bit.

This is all I know about sound but I guess the sound in Standards are sharper and clearer than the Specials.

I actually got my SG Standard today but it is in bad condition so.... havent really tried it out that much yet :-

The differances are mostly cosmetic. Such as inlays' date=' binding and covered pickups. The Standard has a 498t bridge pickup instead of the 490t so it gonna be a bit hotter.[/quote']

it depends on taste I prefer the 490T the 498t its great too

Guest BentonC

Yup- mostly just cosmetics. But, if you have a certain budget, I always like to advise for you to get the one you are most attracted to or is most appealing to you within that budget. Unless your primary concern is money, I think you'll be happier in the long run if you go ahead and get whichever one appeals to you more.

So, which one would you most like to have?

I own a SG Special, and have played on a Standard many times, but I prefer my Special only because of the facts that have already been said, cosmetics. I think on my small solid state amp (Fender 25R), and some tube amps, I have not noticed a huge difference between the two. There is at least a $300 difference from Gibson's MSRP prices, but the tone and sound quality difference is not really worth the money I can save on a Special. Of course actual retail prices are different and you can find some amazing used axes, But if your in it for the trapezoid inlays and covered pickups then by all means go for it, gotta admit they look cool.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say go with the Standard. It's not much more money and in the long run it's well worth the extra cash. If you skimp you'll wish you hadn't in the future.

If you can you should go to a store and play a bunch and see which one feels best to you and get it. IMO the Standard is well worth the money. I think it's a better overall value than the faded special. Then again I may be a little biased.

I have owned quite a few guitars over the years and I am getting ready to purchase my first SG.

My question.. Is there a big difference in sound and quality between the SG Special ( not faded )

and the SG Standard? I know the Standard has the upgraded inlays, pick up covers and hard case

but sound is my biggest concern. Thanks!

I know you said "not faded" but, IMO, the faded has superior playability and tone if you're after a more or a blues or classic rock sound. The thinner layers of nitro better permit the natural attack of the SG's thin mahogany body to cut though and the rear of the neck also feels slicker (the lack of plastic binding also helps this.) I also prefer the 490T for classic rock sounds as it's not as hot as the 498T but it still takes high gain well.

The view that the quality of the standard is higher than that of the special is unfounded, IMO. My special faded has a two piece body and its hardware, fit and finish is identical to the standard. Also, Gibson would not get away with using inferior cuts of wood on fadeds as any flaws would be there for all to see.

Obviously I'm biased because I own one but don't rule out the fadeds, especially if sound and playability is your priority.

Alan

I'm not the type to knock something just because it's cheaper but I don't really care for the faded specials.

I know what you mean when you say it feels slicker, but to me it feels much rougher and I feel more friction when I move my hand. I don't like how they leave the pores open. With the gloss finish it's a perfectly smooth surface which is what I like. I also really prefer the look of the gloss finish. Also on my standard I have played it to the point where the neck is silky smooth and not sticky at all but still shiny. Very nice. I guess it just comes down to personal taste.

I agree though don't rule out the fadeds you might like them. Personally I like the standards the most.

Also if you buy used or know someone who works at a music store you can save a lot of money. My friend gave me a discount and I got my standard new for about $800 and it's my favorite guitar ever. You just have to look around and be patient.

I went it with cash to buy a Standard, walked out with a Faded. Just goes to show price is not directly realative to the guitar being 'better'. Standards, Specials, and Faded models are all pretty much identical in any way that really matters, everything else is just asthetic. The low finish on the Faded lets the guitar resonate better and it feels more comfortable in my hands.

To anyone who wants to bring up looks, well.

2008sg.png

. In my experience with special faded and standard there are some small difference. The neck on the special faded are a bit more chunky, hotter brigde pickup on the standard and some cosmetic stuff. Unplugged with the same set up and same string they don't sound exactly the same.I prefer the standard, but the special faded are a good choice if you like the look ,sound and feel of a sg. My special had some trouble spots. It had some minor intonation trouble, and two of the tuners was bad. It was a good solid guitar but i was never quit happy with it so i sold it. But i tried other faded specials that was better. That's why we always should try out the guitar before we buy it

Archived