Gibson Brands Forums

Valve JR 101 Mod Thread Transfer

layboomo

Yeah. I might go for it in a YEAR. My plan is basically to take some harder aim at my musical aptitude' date=' develop that as part of my character; then when I can play actually really good, buy myself a $3000 guitar (looking at a PRS 245 actually, Tobacco Burst; yes, my next-month buy is a PRS SE), possibly an amp.

The Blues Custom is actually interesting to me though too.

I want about $15k saved up by then, and my car loan paid down or off. My intent is to possibly find and close on a house with a mortgage similar to my rent; and get a sports car to replace my Mazda3. I'm overspending by about 40% right now though, and can trim my budget back; I have about $1000/mo excess as-is, could make that $1500.

Yes, I have a non-mcdonalds job and I'm still living on the broke college kid budget. I know the rest of you grew up to make $50k/year and try to have a few hundred every couple months to spend on something nice, but I never quite outgrew living on a $23k salary, even when I started making more than $23k....[/quote']

Interesting lofty goals you have there Blue! I wish you luck! Save as much as you can for as long as you can. Once you have a mortgage it is all downhill! lol. I rented with some friends for a long time and I finally bought a house when I was 33. This was last year and I certainly don't have the kind of expendable income I used to have. My mortgage here in Southern NY is about 4 k a month so you get the idea. My rent was a quarter of that and this is how I saved for closing costs and bought the gear that you see. You won't go far on 50 k a year in my parts unfortunately. sigh That's for the pointers guys, I'll have to try them out. Can you believe that I've never actually played a Vox!?!

Since you can' date=' might as well outgrow it!

The Epiphone Blues Custom is on my list as well, but then again, so is the blackheart BH100H hothead, ever since I jammed the prototype of it in Pyotr's garage in austin, TX about a year ago. Gutsy and Powerful... yes.... practical... I think not (not without an attenuator).

I can dream. hah

Those PRS amps are no joke.

Might I suggest the Marshal Haze? [/quote']

waaa u got to go there and play with those things? thats awsome man what else was there?

So after so much playing with amps' date=' building amps, modding out the VJ, I want...

http://www.prsguitars.com/prs30/index.html

This.

Thoughts?[/quote']

I don't think they're as highly regarded in the US as in Canada, where they are legendary, but you would do yourself a favor by checking out the Traynor YGM-3 reissue. This is a true vintage reissue, made to the original specs, hand wired, with absolutely top quality components for about $1000US.

If you're interested in the PRS, you should check it out. About a third the cost of the PRS for every bit of the quality and sound. They were Peter Traynor's response to the Fender Deluxe Reverb. Outstanding amps.

Cheers

Guest icantbuyafender
Interesting lofty goals you have there Blue! I wish you luck! Save as much as you can for as long as you can. Once you have a mortgage it is all downhill! lol. I rented with some friends for a long time and I finally bought a house when I was 33. This was last year and I certainly don't have the kind of expendable income I used to have. My mortgage here in Southern NY is about 4 k a month so you get the idea. My rent was a quarter of that and this is how I saved for closing costs and bought the gear that you see. You won't go far on 50 k a year in my parts unfortunately. sigh That's for the pointers guys' date=' I'll have to try them out. Can you believe that I've never actually played a Vox!?![/quote']

SVET!!!

you have some of the coolest gear and 'know-how'...

yet you havent traded punches with a REAL deal tube vox amp!?

let me just say that you will be smitten.

after reading that last line of yours I was nearly guilty of alcohol abuse-- I damn near knocked my beer over while i was recovering from the shock. haha

Hmm' date=' looks interesting, the head is around 2k. I'll put this on my list of amps to try out. I'm looking for something to add to my amp collection:

[img']http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x263/svetkt88/Guitars/amps.jpg?t=1260298309[/img]

I feel it's time I add the so called British sound though so I am investigation Marshall and Vox mostly at the moment.

This pic makes me sick!

by the way, what is the amp in your avatar? and in the front row on the right of the pic?

Guest icantbuyafender
LOL' date=' I'll rectify this soon ICBF! I promise! JWALIN, the amp in question is a Carr Mercury. You can find out more information about it here:

http://www.carramps.com/mercury.html

Let us folks know how it goes when you saddle up a vox.

As for that carr mercury amp.... THAT is classy.

I love the boutique styling... hence my GAS for a harley benton 5w tube head that is for sale over the pond at Thomman in Europe.

If it looks that good, even if it sounds BAD it'll be okay.

::cue the ex-ladyfriend jokes::

I don't think they're as highly regarded in the US as in Canada' date=' where they are legendary, but you would do yourself a favor by checking out the Traynor YGM-3 reissue. This is a true vintage reissue, made to the original specs, hand wired, with absolutely top quality components for about $1000US.[/quote']

+1 from a fellow Canadian. I tried one of these in store, fantastic amp, but ended up with a Traynor YCVBlue ($450 slightly used).

Hey Svet, maybe you should look into a Traynor YCS50 or 90. It has a "Brit"/"USA" switch (haha). Here's a video...

My mortgage here in Southern NY is about 4 k a month so you get the idea.

Yow!

My apartment has holes in the wall, carpet, was dirty when I moved in, and the last apartment I was in ate itself (plumbing issue). Naturally, I am well prepared to move into a foreclosure home and try to do the magical dream of a 5% interest rate and a $1000/mo 15 year loan ($180,000) for what amounts to a $100,000 house.

Maybe I should get an adjustable rate mortgage and try to get 3% going in; it'll hold for a year and then prop up by 1%, then I could refinance a fixed rate at 4.11% or 5.00%...

R=3% T=1 P=100,000: 3045

R=5% T=1 P=100,000: 5127

So in 1 year I could save $2100, which I'll use to pay down the loan right? Let's see what that $2100 would do if my loan was fixed 5%, looking at total cost rather than interest:

R=5% T=15 P=100,000: $211,700

R=5% T=15 P=97,900: $207,254

R=5% T=15 P=95,000: $201,115

So saves me $4446. Technically, I write this stuff off my income instead, so the savings are more like that number * 0.30; however, notice dropping a $5,000 closer on a $100,000 house for 15 years? Saves over $10,000? The interest for the first month would be $417, then there's interest on that, then on that, etc; paying more than my given payments is majorly significant, since after the first year I have about $5000 more in than I started, so I pay a $105,000 loan over 14 years now....

I'd rather wind up in something barely livable and spend $30k and lots of sweat and blood to make it a decent home, than buy something for $250k and wind up spending $1,120,422 over a 30 year 5% mortgage. Yes I said a million dollars. Do you realize how many sports cars, guitars, and amps I could buy for a million dollars?

(Formula: P * e^(R * T) = value)

• 2 months later...

Ok so a new EVJ half stack arrived today. I want to tweak on it a bit and have some new tubes on order. Has anyone done the drop in marshall board mod from turretboards?

Whats the difference in caps between the sprague and mallory? What about the bitmo stuff?

Yeah I, read thru enough mod links, and watched a bunch of spark chasers and pointy head utube vids doing mods to make my head spin, but I just need the stratight answers, in common english ..........markerdown

Archived