Gibson Brands Forums

Valve Junior or Palomino V8

What's the consensus out there between the valve junior and the v8? Or is there even something else comparable out there that should be in consideration also?

I've still got an old VC-508 (same amp, same exact circuit) and VJr's blow it away through the same kinds of speaker cabs. And this is up against a Crate that I modded a long long time ago by pulling the TL072 chip and putting in a JRC4558, which was a big improvement in its own right. Actually, VJr's have been running circles around those Crates since version 2, and the v3 VJr is even better. So when it comes to quality tone, the Crates suck, and the VJr doesn't. You honestly get more bang for the same buck with a VJr and a Tube Screamer pedal in front.

Gil...

i have one of the vc508's also and i do have a Vj halfie sound wise the epie is much nicer louder cleaner and much better tone.. but at the same time... i use to use the VC508 as a pre-amp for my VC 2x12 combo with no gain and that was a very very nice amp set up.. i would have to say i love them both but at the same time they are sooooo diffrent from each other they really dont compare ( IMHO )

the crates problem is the 8" celestion spker sorry for the spelling and the lack of cab you get it set up on a nice cab or combo amp its really pretty nice to tell you the truth.. but as the amp sets by its self its not much to get excited about really

I used mine for years with a pair of Vintage 30's. It was pretty good, or so I thought, but the VJr through the same speakers blew its doors off. So my poor ol VC508 is on the chopping block as a chassis to gut and rebuild. With the right iron and guts, it could be SO much better, just like the VJr. But unless you already have one, or can get one for chump change, the upcharge isn't worth it when the VJr is so much better sounding to begin with, for so much less.

With a VJr, you can shape the tone any way you want, and there's tons of DIY support. A few mods to add a loop and a tone pot will give you the same basic functionality of the 508, and more. There aren't a lot of mods for the VC508, but it does need work just to get the loop working right, and more to get the tone smoothed out! You can read up on the whole ugly mess here... http://www.guitarnuts.com/amps/vc508/index.php

Gil...

I haven't tried out the Crate V8, but I did try out the V16, and I didn't like it. The VJR beat it hands down. The V16 sounded okay clean, but when I kicked on my TS9 it sounded terrible! It sounded really harsh, like a bad cheap distortion, and I didn't turn it up very loud. The pots were really noisy/scratchy too. They look nice, but that is as far as it goes for me. I don't have my VJR any more, but I have been thinking about getting another one to mod. It was a fun project.

I haven't even tried them in the stores. I did try the fender champ and was way underimpressed with that thing.

stock vj combo would blow it away.

the blackheart is so close to the vj that I don't think there's really much difference, esp. after any modding gets started.

I might do that next.. but I really think the vj is the real deal.

Archived