Gibson Brands Forums

Obligatory 'Show us ya Epi basses' Thread

Freuds_cat

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks very nice, I gotta try one at a gig one day. Only ever plunked about in shops with them.

It always interested me how happy Jack Cassady is with the pup on his sig bass considering he played Guild Starfires with Hagstrom pups with the Airplane.

If I was a rich man I'd buy a JC Epi and put one of Fred Hammons Darkstars on it just to be able to do the comparison.

Have a look here if interested in what I'm on about.

http://www.basspickup.com/

Not only that, but the Starfires Jack played with the Airplane and early Hot Tuna were short-scale basses and heavily modified by the folks at Alembic with all sorts of onboard electronics, while the JC signature is long-scale and relatively minimalist --- one pickup, single volume and tone knobs, and the impedance selector. He still gets that deep, rolling bass sound, so it's more evidence for the "tone is in your fingers" school of thought.

By the way, for the benefit of some of the younger players who may be reading this and not be familiar with all of Jack's work --- that's him playing bass with Jimi Hendrix on "Voodoo Chile" from Electric Ladyland, along with Steve Winwood on organ. Yowza!

.....' date=' so it's more evidence for the "tone is in your fingers" school of thought.

By the way, for the benefit of some of the younger players who may be reading this and not be familiar with all of Jack's work --- that's him playing bass with Jimi Hendrix on "Voodoo Chile" from Electric Ladyland, along with Steve Winwood on organ. Yowza!

[/quote']

And Dave Mason (also from Traffic with Winwood) on 2nd guitar.

I'm with you on the 'tone is in your fingers' thing up to a point. I mean if I play over the front pup of my 72 Jazz I get as deep a sound as the Jazz can give but its still not as deep as my Allen Woody Rumblekat. Also its upper mids are quite distinctive by comparison too.

But I agree that if you play any bass you can get sounds closer to other basses by the way you play it. I had a 4001 Ricky once and I loved it but after using it in a studio once I found I could make my Jazz sound more like a Ricky than the Ricky itself lol. So I sold it. (also it was a classic and I didnt want to mod it in any way).

That's where Geddy Lee was coming from when he dropped the Rick and started playing his Jazz full-time.. He said he liked the sound of the Rick, but he could get those tones outta the Jazz with the benefit of the extra low-end that the Rick just doesn't have...

There are some songs from his Ricky period that he plays the Jazz bass on (like Tom Sawyer) and you wouldn't know it wasn't a Rickenbacker...

I still have GAS for a Rick though...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just bought a ten year old Viola bass that still had all the tags and stickers and protective plastic on the pickups. Came with the original Epiphone HSC. $250.00! Slapped some nice flatwounds on that sucker. Got me a felt pick. Set'er up and what an awesome instrument. Smooth. Light. Sounds nice even acoustically. I played some of the other copies of the Hofner Beatle Bass and even the cheapo Hofner model seem kind of cheap. Not this baby.

I agree.. When I was looking for mine, I couldn't find a Viola anywhere near where I lived, or on-line, so I had to have it special ordered.. While I was waiting the month and a half for it to arrive, Hofner announced the Icon bass... I was kicking myself for a while, until I got a chance to play one... The Viola kicks the Icon's butt.. I also like the fact that it's not trying to be an exact copy of the Hofner.. It's still got the Beatle vibe, but it also has a character of its own, with the flame maple and cherry sunburst... Some people complain because it's not a full hollow, but I don't think it suffers because of it.. It still has that Hofner-esque tone... It just has more sustain.

Here's a pic of mine... It's not as dark as it looks in this photo... I gotta take some better pictures of it..

SA400012.jpg

BTW, $250 with a case is a KILLER deal! I paid $400 for mine plus $60 for an Epi case... You can't find those cases anywhere!

They retail here for Aus$250 and I've played them in shops' date=' what amazing quality for your buck.[/quote']

$250?? That's cheaper than here (US)... They're like $350 now... Used to be $400... I think they lowered the price to match the Hofner Icon... But it's amazing it's cheaper in Oz... You guys usually end up paying close to double what we pay for guitars..

so it's more evidence for the "tone is in your fingers" school of thought.

Yes, but the question is how much work it is to get a certain tone out of a certain bass. If you want the sort of richness Jack gets, on some rigs you have to put all your concentration just into achieving that tone. My first impression on getting the JC is that the tone is more of a given - there's a much broader sweet spot for the fingers to exploit - so it's easier to attend to other aspects of the bass line without the tonal advantage being lost.

Yep thats a fact Lerxst. Maybe George Bush's "Free" trade agreement with Oz is finally starting to kick in (utmost sarcasm implied ).

;)

I have a friend in Australia... The other day he e-mailed me the 2008 Epiphone RRP list in Oz.. I was appalled at how high the prices were! And I understand they don't retail for much less than RRP, either..

i think guitar pricing here is unethical, frankly.

maybe the guys at gibson/epi should have a look at it. the catalogue rrp (=recommended retail price) and marked prices are the first thing to go when you talk to sales. it's like they artificially inflate the price just so they can offer a huge discount, at the same time maintaining an artificially high 'perceived' value. example -- my jack casady (no case) was marked at $1399 but i paid $1100 -- and didn't have to haggle.

freuds_cat is right -- we are s'posed to have free trade with the states. not only that, the aussie dollar used to be around 50 cents american (which may explain the high cost of imported gibsons, fenders etc -- but not epis that come from korea) but these days it's more like 90 cents.

so if you combine reduced tarriffs with a high aussie dollar we should be able to buy gibsons at epi prices -- why are prices still high at eg $3800 for a gibson 335 and $1400 for a sherrie?

whit wrote

Yes, but the question is how much work it is to get a certain tone out of a certain bass. If you want the sort of richness Jack gets, on some rigs you have to put all your concentration just into achieving that tone. My first impression on getting the JC is that the tone is more of a given - there's a much broader sweet spot for the fingers to exploit - so it's easier to attend to other aspects of the bass line without the tonal advantage being lost.

jc and epi put a lot of effort into developing both the pup and its placement to give optimum tone -- see http://www.gibson.com/whatsnew/pressrelease/2001/feb6a.html for an informative interview ... of course having the capability is one thing, using it is another :>)

i think guitar pricing here is unethical' date=' frankly.

maybe the guys at gibson/epi should have a look at it. the catalogue rrp (=recommended retail price) and marked prices are the first thing to go when you talk to sales. it's like they artificially inflate the price just so they can offer a huge discount, at the same time maintaining an artificially high 'perceived' value. example -- my jack casady (no case) was marked at $1399 but i paid $1100 -- and didn't have to haggle. [/quote']

They do the same in the states.. List price is always much higher than what it really sells for.. Epis are usually marked about 40% less than MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) Then, you can haggle for a lower price than that.. It is artificially inflated so that the retailers can claim that you're saving 40% off the list price, but that savings is meaningless.. Nobody sells at list price... And no matter where you go, the retail price is always the same.. Only the uninitiated believe that Guitar Center is giving them a great deal by selling them a $1,000 guitar for $600.

Yep my Allen Woody cost me Aus$550 new without a case but its retail price here is around the Aus$1200 mark. The supposed "sale"price seems to always be Aus$830. So I think that tells us pretty clearly whats going on here.

boy.chutney you might (or not) be interested to know the story behind the pups on the Allen Woody bass.

I spoke via numerous emails to Gibson/Epi historian (and friend of Allen Woodys) Walter Carter, who in turn spoke to Woodys guitar tech Brian Farmer and they explained that the pups Woody helped develop were not standard Gibson Mini Humbuckers but a modified Gibson Firebird guitar pickup. After doing a bit more research I've concluded that even though the pups in these basses are manufactured in Korea, people will still get a sound from them which is closer to what Woody intended than if they swap them out for after market Gibsons or copies. I would love for someone from Epiphone to confirm this although being about 8 or so years ago I suppose people move about and memorys fade.

Personally I love them and it is one of the only basses that I have not swapped pups on.

Archived