Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone try The ToneQuest mods for the EVJ?

quick74

it seems all the mods that he has listed has been done by many people on these forums for a lot less than 65 bucks. search for "clean headroom" "NFB" "c3 switch" "gold/silver mods" and you should find everything you need. and be able to do it for a lot less than that. including a new OT.

but then again you wont get that cool little tonequest sticker :-s

To some degree I think they are all variations of things you can learn on the epi forum with a little research and patience and the great help folks offer. I can't speak for the other kits, but I'm a fan of the bitmo as it's the one that got me started . There are highly detailed instructions that are a great place to start for a newbie....

I Think all those kits offer you in return for your money is the time it takes to read these forums and ask questions. and even then I doubt any of them would give you as much bang for your buck as the OT swap does, if you have the older amp that is.

resistors and capacitors should run you the princely sum of about 16 cents to 55 cents a piece, with a few that cost about 4 dollars, and you only need one of those. there are plenty of people you can ask questions to and resources on this forum to not need the kits. check the mod sticky. You'll see! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well i orderd the Tonequest kits from ebay. The bitmo stuff seemed pricey for what you got in return. Im new to modding and i wanted instructions and some sopport if anything went wrong, but it was wicked easy. Everything seems to work well and the amp is 100 times better than it was before now that i have some control over it. I went with marshall tones and biased for overdrive.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested in that kit as well for when I get my new V3 half stack. I don't like the big dial on the front though; that could go inside if it fits. I wouldn't mind skipping the attenuator and just using a THD Hotplate (yeah these are expensive). I might just move the attenuator itself to a separate circuit (i.e. an effects box) to jack between the output and the speaker (don't put a pedal here please).

Is this a full board and components kit? Does it contain basically fresh new circuitry and you can just discard the old board and caps/resistors?

What's "Voicing" and what's involved with the Vox/Marshall thing? Do they send you all components and you assemble it to make a vox/marshall sound? If that's the case, I can probably wire a switch to switch circuits if it's simple enough (I suspect it's a value on R2, which I'll likely make a pot).

if you go to watts audio or turretboards.com you'll find the vjr stuff link and they have a list of parts for each mod.

V M F and other are listed right along with original values.. several things are different in each amp type.

TWANG

Definitely go for a turretboard if you can. You'll potentially learn more about amps when the component layout is as simple and logical as it is with a turretboard. And it's SO much easier to work on than a pcb because you don't have to lift the board to change components. Best of all, you can rework your mods dozens of times without destroying it.

Gil...

• 1 month later...

I finally took the time to install the Monster mod last night. I'm pretty satisfied with it running the EVJr. through a 12" on my Rocktron. I really need to get a cabinet built to install the Eminence Lady Luck I bought. Won't be this weekend. I get to spend the day under my wife's van finding out what loosened up and then beating the right rear axle back to where it should be. The passenger's side rear wheel is touching the body where the mud flap would be... of course it's cold, windy and raining so that adds to the fun!

Back to the review...I really like the attenuator. Can crank the volume knob and get that sweet tube overdrive distortion without waking the wife or kids! Very little sacrifice to the tone when almost fully attenuated.

The tone knob works really well too. The pentode/triode switch works well too, but there is some noticeable heater hum in the triode (3 watt) mode though.

I installed the Marshall mod, but will be tweaking it by adding a small bread board from work that will allow me to toggle between Marshall and Vox mod. I really like the tone and drive that I get with the Marshall mod in. Wish I would have made some recordings to post so you could hear the difference.

The only thing that I was not satisfied with was the gain switch. It is on the push/pull pot for tone. When I pull it out, there is no increase in gain, just a cut in treble. Actually there is more gain when the knob is in. I sent the Tone Quest Tech an email about it earlier this morning. Could be I did something wrong. I'll post when I hear back from them

The instructions they sent were pretty easy to follow.

I am going to replace R7 with a wire jumper and add a switch that will remove R7 so I can get a gain boost.

Next mod will be adding the Loop D Jr so I can use the Valve Jr like I would an Atomic with my PODxt

I finally took the time to install the Monster mod last night. I'm pretty satisfied with it running the EVJr. through a 12" on my Rocktron. I really need to get a cabinet built to install the Eminence Lady Luck I bought. Won't be this weekend. I get to spend the day under my wife's van finding out what loosened up and then beating the right rear axle back to where it should be. The passenger's side rear wheel is touching the body where the mud flap would be... of course it's cold' date=' windy and raining so that adds to the fun!

Back to the review...I really like the attenuator. Can crank the volume knob and get that sweet tube overdrive distortion without waking the wife or kids! Very little sacrifice to the tone when almost fully attenuated.

The tone knob works really well too. The pentode/triode switch works well too, but there is some noticeable heater hum in the triode (3 watt) mode though.

I installed the Marshall mod, but will be tweaking it by adding a small bread board from work that will allow me to toggle between Marshall and Vox mod. I really like the tone and drive that I get with the Marshall mod in. Wish I would have made some recordings to post so you could hear the difference.

The only thing that I was not satisfied with was the gain switch. It is on the push/pull pot for tone. When I pull it out, there is no increase in gain, just a cut in treble. Actually there is more gain when the knob is in. I sent the Tone Quest Tech an email about it earlier this morning. Could be I did something wrong. I'll post when I hear back from them

The instructions they sent were pretty easy to follow.

I am going to replace R7 with a wire jumper and add a switch that will remove R7 so I can get a gain boost.

Next mod will be adding the Loop D Jr so I can use the Valve Jr like I would an Atomic with my PODxt

[/quote']

sorry about your car.

The three watt mode hum has been mentioned before.. I don't think anyone's cured it.

I can see a chance for a partial switch between some M or V sounds.. but really, you'd have to swap components and choose one or the other. Still. that's part of what's cool with VJs, room for switching.

It sounds to me like your gain switch is a version of the bright switch.. which gave a small vol boost and a bigger highmids/high boost.. only you have it backwards.

probably pushed in should be the treble cut. and pulled out would be the 'gain', which is as much gain as treble boost.

Some people opt for the power amp break in portion of the loop d' jr .. since they don't use the preamp, full line signal out.

I'm going to swap mine to two jacks.. one pre amp out and one power amp break in.

that way I dont have to have the cable hanging half plugged in.

TWANG

• 8 months later...

Archived