Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
schotness

2 valve juniors ?

Ive just realised my multi pedal outputs in stereo

So my question is would 2 of valve junior combos together be twice as loud ?

Each amp would drive a seperate speaker at 5W each. That's 10 watts coming at you, vs. 5 watts. But 10 W is not twice as loud as 5W. Twice as loud would be +3db louder, and that would be a factor of 10.....50 W vs. 5 W. You'd need 10 VJ's each driving their own speaker to get twice as loud. Now THAT would be something to see....something to make Joe Perry jealous over.

But 10 W is not twice as loud as 5W. Twice as loud would be +3db louder, and that would be a factor of 10.....50 W vs. 5 W.

That is not correct.

From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel:

Specifically, an increase of 3 dB corresponds to an approximate doubling of power. (In exact terms, the factor is 103/10, or 1.9953, about 0.24% different from exactly 2.)

Read what I posted:

Specifically, an increase of 3 dB corresponds to an approximate doubling of power.

Doubling in power is 2 * 5 watts = 10 watts, which is exactly what this person wants to do.

I think there are two things being discussed here:

1. 10 watts is twice the power of 5 watts; 5w x 2 = 10 watts

2. for the human ear to percieve twice the volume the wattage needs to increase by a factor of 10; 50 watts sounds twice as loud as 5 watts.

tung

Well said tung. To go back to the original question, the answer is no two amps will not be twice as loud exactly but the sound will sound fuller and IMO nicer.

Also you can set each amp at a different volume and see how it sounds, also all of those effects in your pedal that require a stereo set up like "rotary speaker" or "panning tremolo", maybe some stereo flanger effect, all will sound great especially if you set the amps apart 10 feet or so...cool stuff.

I have a Boss GT-6 and that is what I do.

Read what I posted:

Doubling in power is 2 * 5 watts = 10 watts' date=' which is exactly what this person wants to do. [/quote']

no. this person wants twice the volume, not twice the power.

Tung said it best.

Here's a quote from a old PCollen post from last May. I think it'll help answer a few questions here.

Gil...

Re: Valve Junior question (PCollen)

Posted: 6:28:16 pm on 5/3/2007 Modified: Never

Here are a few interesting articles, and a chart, on this subject:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/loud.html

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/dB.html

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

In summary, you have to increase power ten-fold (10dB) to achieve twice (2x) the percieved loudness. 10 watts is percieved to be twice as loud as 1 watt, 50 watts is percieved to be twice as loud as 5 watts, etc.....

So, do you still think that 100 watt amp is 'the *****' ? 100 watts can get you a lot more clean headroom than 50 watts, given that you can play louder before distortion sets in, but it is NOT twice as loud..

Actually its academic now. As I've gone & gotten myself a SoCal clone. I was considering running one junior on clean & one with effects applied, but then that requires even more pedals & things.