Gibson Brands Forums

What kind of tone control set ups are folks using on thier evjr's?

Zoki

javascript:insertsmiley(':-k ','/images/emoticons/eusa_think.gif')

So, I've really been thinking about this alot lately and checked out the links at adams amps, but still need more info on this. I've got a bitmo tone on my Marshall mod and want to try something different on my fantastic sounding but very trebley when it's loud Vox mod. I geuss my feeling is the the bitmo is a more fendery/brown sound and I'd like to try a control that compliments the the voxyness of this mod and I'm curious what peeps are doing out there in the real world on this....

Thanks!

javascript:insertsmiley('8-[ ','/images/emoticons/eusa_shifty.gif')

I'm hassling with mine right now.. waiting for some caps to come in.

I have found the max treble setting is really too harsh.. could be the crap caps I have in.. and the values aren't the best.

But in a while I'll be trying a resistor in parallel with the 500pF cap, and you can increase the value of the 500pF cap to push it towards more mids, as well.

so... I dunno yet what's gonna work on my tweed tone, but it's the amps treble I need to tame, not a problem with that design.

I'm considering drilling at mine and trying to add a 3-band equalizer to the front of my Valve Junior Combo. Right in line with the circuit, not a separate box. I was going to go for 7-band but it won't fit (and too complex!).

Anyone got a good diagram on building a 3-band EQ? I think it's pots, caps to determine the low frequency to affect, and then an RC across the hot leads to let frequencies above the top of the band pass through; but I don't know, this is out of my (non-existent) electrical expertise and I'm just firing from my head here.

Sounds cool - I'm with on the non existent (outside of these EVJr's) eelectrical experience......

Anybody try any of those other one knob controls over at Adam's Amp's page on the tone stacks?

Yer basic tweed tone control is the simplest and imposes the lowest loss of gain on the circuit of all tone stacks. If you hang it acrossr R6, instead of across the volume pot as in the usual tweed tone, it'll give the amp a more Blackface nature to the tone. Very nice if that's what you're looking for. That's the BitMo tone version.

Gil...

180212612106 ebay item number. check it out. *G*

gil is that bitmo the same configuration, caps and pot values, as the tweed.. just run off R6?

I need to go read the threads on that...

blue there's a tmb.. treble middle bass.. on the blackheart..

these take away gain, and tone according to most. being low wattage amps.

however, some people like them quite well so far..

I lost my url on tone stacks, got it around here somewhere.. but there are several designs to consider.

the tweed tone seems to satisfymost in one configuration or another.

Thanks guys - that's the feedback I'm looking for and I think I can do that one.....

but

in lieu of drilling another hole and just out of curiosity what are ya'll running on R6 with your Vox mods......any body else feel it's a bit bright when it's cranked?

(not that a vox isn't!)

Yer basic tweed tone control is the simplest and imposes the lowest loss of gain on the circuit of all tone stacks. If you hang it acrossr R6' date=' instead of across the volume pot as in the usual tweed tone, it'll give the amp a more Blackface nature to the tone.[/quote']

http://amps.zugster.net/articles/tone-stacks

Ah, cool, 3-knob controls too.

blue there's a tmb.. treble middle bass.. on the blackheart..

these take away gain' date=' and tone according to most. being low wattage amps.

[/quote']

I'm likely to build something using push-pull knobs so I can pull the knob to bypass the whole circuit for any given knob.

Thinking the fender/marshall/vox stack.

fmv-layout.gif

I don't get the "out" "in" markings on this diagram, is it supposed to be shifted over a bit so that Treble 1 is in and Treble 2 is out?

fmv-schem.gif

It looks like 2 is Input and the output is beyond C1, out should be to the right of in...

If anyone can tell me if Mid = 10 is open to ground or closed to ground I'd appreciate it. (i.e. if I max Mid, it "should" equate to 0 reduction of Mid right? Is that opening the ground connection so none of the signal related to mid tones goes to ground? If so, there's pot switch 1: pulled out breaks the ground circuit, infinite resistance) ... ah crud this won't work, duh. The bass and treble have to reach ground too!

Oh screw it, I'll bypass the whole circuit with a switch. Input either to IN on the 3-band tone stack, or to OUT on the 3-band tone stack. Double-pole double throw to break the path back through OUT when thrown.

Archived