Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Pickguards

texasjeff

Hello,

First time poster, I have a question about Les Paul Standard Guitars. Some come with pickguards and others without. The pickguard that came with mine (bought new off the wall 1 year ago) has 1960 written on it. Is this to identify the neck profile ? Or something else ?

Hello' date='

First time poster, I have a question about Les Paul Standard Guitars. Some come with pickguards and others without. The pickguard that came with mine (bought new off the wall 1 year ago) has 1960 written on it. Is this to identify the neck profile ? Or something else ? [/quote']

your LP probably is not a standard.its more than likely a LP classic.if it is a standard,go back to the store and ask for the right pickguard.also post pics of it.

Yes, your guitar is probably a LP Classic 60. It's more expensive than a Standard so if you go back to the store, be careful because you could pay an extra charge.

As for "1960" mention it's about the neck size. Here you have a thin neck.

Just a last detail : pickups on Classic are not some burstbuckers or Classic 57 but some pickups with ceramic magnet so they are stronger but colder. Anyway it's a very good guitar.

As for pickgard : when top is extremely beautiful with figures Gibson don't install it but it's in the case. So you have the choice.

60 OR 50 Referrs to the neck style. The 50 version is a wider neck and the 60 version is whay Gibson calls a (Slim Taper Neck). I play a 50 style

and many claim that it producers a fatter sound. I dont know if I can hear any difference. All new unused LP's should come with the guard off and no screw holes and the proper pick guard in the case. I think thats how they are sent from the factory. The exception maybe a Studio model.

I have never installed mine so that the wood can be seen. I think GC puts the guard on all of their guitars, why, I don't know

Good luck, Mark

Yes' date=' your guitar is probably a LP Classic 60. It's more expensive than a Standard so if you go back to the store, be careful because you could pay an extra charge.[/quote']

Are you thinking of a re-issue?

Also, no store in their right mind would try to charge someone more after the sale is complete. At least not around here! :)

Archived