Gibson Brands Forums

which amp ?

sket

I have two vjs.. and still find myself interested in the bh amp.

From what I've seen of it, it's really a nice little amp with some very good improvements and options that set it clearly apart from the VJ.

Were I to consider modding either of them, I'd tend toward the vj, having experience and happiness thereby.

I like the tweed tone added to the vj.

I don't know that I'd like the tone stack on the BH.. some say, take it out, nice of them to drill holes for you.

Some of the components in the BH seem to be of much better quality, higher values in wattage for resistors, for instance.

I think someone said they had some better caps.

Gil is waiting on one, I think.. so he'll have the lowdown on that aspect, and probably more.

I did, and am currently, swapping my tone control values around. trying to find a control I can really love. I feel I'd react the same way to the BH tone stack.

and there you go.. either way, for me, it's mod time.

and I don't have enough BH information to say which would require the fewest mods, the cheapest, the easiest to do..

so.

I'm no help at all, please drive through?

*G*

If you only used your amp for clean tones you might not need tone controls, but the tone controls on an amp behave very differently than a guitar's tone controls. Not only are you balancing the highs, mids and lows, but amp tone controls can be used to help control feedback as well as compensate for very different-sounding guitars (or different sounding rooms). A tone setting that sounds right for a Les Paul could give you an icepick to the brain on a Telecaster, and an amp tone that sounds good with a strat could be pure mud on a jazzbox. Amp tone controls also affect which harmonics are emphasized (or not) when overdriven, independently of how you adjust your guitar's tone controls.

I personally wouldn't buy an amp without tone controls, UNLESS I was using it only as a slave power amp with either a separate preamp or another amp (with tone controls) as a driver.

Archived