Gibson Brands Forums

What kind of pickups are in your Epi?

gripweed

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm all GFS these days..

The crunchy PAF is just what it says' date=' a crunchy PAF humbucker and it's been a good companion for the Mean P90. The GFS P90 beats the crap out of the Epiphone P100 that came with the Junior.

[/quote']

All right there Biff!

I find that both of the bridge FAT and Crunchy are good for my GFS diet.

I "saved" some dough to experiment with a Sustainiac which replaces the

neck pickup . It functions as a sustainer or neck pickup with SC or HB equalization

switch and works in conjunction with the bridge p_up which happens to be

the original Epi 57 CH right now.

This thing turns an LP into a dark beast..wails and screams as long as you want it

to. With the sustainer in standby mode it sounds like a two pickup model using the 3 way.

However, I'm planning to use some traditional combination of GFS that

will use either the FAT or Crunchy paf in the project Lp still being worked on.

The thing that pissed me off about the pickups in my Samick '94 LP Classic was that the 'adjustable' pole pieces weren't. They had slots stamped in the tops so that they looked like screws' date=' but they didn't turn. Eventually I popped in a SD Jazz and a SD JB... then when I sold it the new owner turned around and popped in a set of Gibson '57 Classics and sold me back the SDs. The JB is in my Elitist LP and the Jazz is not being used.

[img']http://www.marantatech.com/Graphix/Les Paul2.jpg[/img]

Samicks from that period had pickups from before the "designed by Gibson" era. Mine sounded better with the Duncans.

The thing that pissed me off about the pickups in my Samick '94 LP Classic was that the 'adjustable' pole pieces weren't.

The first thing I did after reading this was to go to my "guesstimated" late 80's Samick LP to adjust the pole pieces up and down and, they did. These pics, posted previously, show that there's no markings or signature on the back of the pups and the "6 or 9" is the only number that I can find on the entire guitar..........J

Epiguts014.jpg

Epiguts012.jpg

Epiguts002.jpg

SXounds like people rate the GFS' above tonerider? Would that be right...

GFS definitely has more models to choose from, and more people are aware of them.

I can't really do a comparison, since the only GFS pickups I currently have are a set of the blowout vintage Strat pups in a Peavey Falcon...and those aren't GFS pups, but pups that Jay picked up from somewhere else. But they're pretty good, especially considering they cost me $18 for the set.

All I can tell you is a friend of mine played my guitar with the Tonerider Rocksongs and said they sounded identical to the SD 59s.

Special II has DiMarzio Steve's Special DP161

The Slash will have Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros, it comes stock with.

The LP Studio Chameleon I'll put DiMarzio Super Distortions in.

The Sheraton II I'll probably dump some Alnico II Pros into, but I want to hear them and the Super Distortions first. I heard the Alnico II Pros give a sweeter sound instead of a screaming signal that overdrives tubes so fast, which might go better with a semi-hollow (too much overdrive isn't so great for preserving the sound of the guitar, so why bother with a Sheraton?)

GFS definitely has more models to choose from' date=' and more people are aware of them.

I can't really do a comparison, since the only GFS pickups I currently have are a set of the blowout vintage Strat pups in a Peavey Falcon...and those aren't GFS pups, but pups that Jay picked up from somewhere else. But they're pretty good, especially considering they cost me $18 for the set.

All I can tell you is a friend of mine played my guitar with the Tonerider Rocksongs and said they sounded identical to the SD 59s.[/quote']

GFS aren't easy to get hold of over here in the UK, so I think i'll go with the tonerider AC4's... £50 the set which aint too bad...

I like Epi stock pickups these days:

My Korean LP standard has stock pickups and I'm very happy with them.

Just bought a faded brown G400 and am keeping the stock pickups in.

Additionally:

My Chinese LP standard has GFS Fat PAFs which work well. (I have these in a Bradley, LP too)

If I get another Dot I'd consider swapping in GFS Mean 90s.

Duncan 59's in my Goldtop and in my Sunburst I have a Duncan SH-5 Custom and a Duncan Alnico Pro II in the neck. The Sunburst is setup to be a little more aggressive in the bridge, but not overly. The Goldtop sounds awesome, it can run with my Bro's LP Custom all day.

every epi i`ve ever had has been modified in some way or another. pickups are the first to go.(except for my ace frehley lp) and the toggle switch is next up. I generally replace the epi pups with gibson pups

Archived