Gibson Brands Forums

Stock Valve Juniors

Doth

First off' date=' the amp is here and sounds better than I could have imagined. It is V3. Looks very classy. I was a little surprised that it was as large as it is, but it right sized fast.

You guys with the lingo make me realize I have a ton to learn. So the cab is 16 ohms, don't I plug it into the 16 ohm jack on the head? What is the purpose of plugging it into a different one? What is an ohm, is it yoga?

Thanks in advance![/quote']

Gil uses the 8ohm for a 16 ohm. I've always used the matching output, 16ohm with 16 and 8 with 8.

I dunno.. a tone thing. I'd always believed you can't switch them.

but, apparently, you can halve it.

TWANG

I use 8ohm jack for a 16ohm cab ONLY when I also use the 4ohm tap for an 8ohm cab. If you did that with just one cab it'd generally sound like muddy crap due to the mismatched 10k impedance to the tube. Using two jacks creates a bit of a mismatch, too, but this seems to compensate for it. Sounds good, too.

On the other hand, when I've got an EL34 plugged in, I plug an 8ohm cab into the 16ohm jack for a 2.5k load to the tube, which EL34's seem to like.

For attaching two impedance-matched cabs, I use a parallel speaker break-out box. I've also got serial speaker breakout boxes. I've had to built a few of each cuz I keep losing 'em.

It's a weird world! O:)

Gil...

I use 8ohm jack for a 16ohm cab ONLY when I also use the 4ohm tap for an 8ohm cab. If you did that with just one cab it'd generally sound like muddy crap due to the mismatched 10k impedance to the tube. Using two jacks creates a bit of a mismatch' date=' too, but this seems to compensate for it. Sounds good, too.

On the other hand, when I've got an EL34 plugged in, I plug an 8ohm cab into the 16ohm jack for a 2.5k load to the tube, which EL34's seem to like.

For attaching two impedance-matched cabs, I use a parallel speaker break-out box. I've also got serial speaker breakout boxes. I've had to built a few of each cuz I keep losing 'em.

It's a weird world! :P

Gil...[/quote']

Based on my understanding of this post, I am best off keeping my hands away from the inside of my VJ!

I use 8ohm jack for a 16ohm cab ONLY when I also use the 4ohm tap for an 8ohm cab. If you did that with just one cab it'd generally sound like muddy crap due to the mismatched 10k impedance to the tube. Using two jacks creates a bit of a mismatch' date=' too, but this seems to compensate for it. Sounds good, too.

It's a weird world! #-o

Gil...[/quote']

ah. I get it. good thing you caught me up. you use 8 ohm cab in 40h output when ALSO using 16 ohm cab in 8 ohm output ONLY.

I'll remember that.

TWANG

i'm using a Jensen P10R 16ohm into the 8ohm jack and a vintage 30 8ohm into the 4ohm jack and it sounds GREAT!!!! these 2 speakers together do it for me. there's something special about that Jensen. best combination i tried. loud and clean of course a few mods. i also have a modded boss driver done by TZONE that fattens it up even more.

http://users.isp.com/phrygian68/ztone/template/pedalmod.htm For $29.00 ship him your pedal he does what you want and sends it back for that price. not to shabby if your on a budget. hey ask gil he heard it and loved it! I'm also using a Zoom G2 which this amp. some nice reverbs and effects. so right now i'm very happy. got my sound now if i can only learn to play. but that's what it's all about!

i'm using a Jensen P10R 16ohm into the 8ohm jack and a vintage 30 8ohm into the 4ohm jack and it sounds GREAT!!!! these 2 speakers together do it for me. there's something special about that Jensen. best combination i tried. loud and clean of course a few mods. i also have a modded boss driver done by TZONE that fattens it up even more.

http://users.isp.com/phrygian68/ztone/template/pedalmod.htm For $29.00 ship him your pedal he does what you want and sends it back for that price. not to shabby if your on a budget. hey ask gil he heard it and loved it! I'm also using a Zoom G2 which this amp. some nice reverbs and effects. so right now i'm very happy. got my sound now if i can only learn to play. but that's what it's all about!

Yep. I use like V30(8ohm) and P10r(16ohm), too. It's like each speaker fills in where the other left off, and it just doesn't get much better than that. Awesome tones!

BTW, I hate you and your tone-of-the-gods TZone-modded pedal. In the nicest way, of course, but still... darn thing gave me GAS, really bad. :)

Gil...

I'm using a old 12" Rola Speaker from a 66' Multivox amp and a 1963 10" Ace tone Speaker (my Ace Tone is my Avatar) with my VJ (modded) - been using a Korg AX5G with it for effects - I also have a Zoom G2 but I like the Korg better - has an awesome "Rotary" Leslie effect, add some Chorus, Some delay and Reverb too (although the reverb isn't as nice as the Zoom).

Archived