Gibson Brands Forums

stock vj w/412

slagg

is the stock vj powerfull enough to play live with a marshall 412 @8ohm i've been eyeing the vj for a long time but not shure if its enough for live.do any of you use them in a gig situation?getting older and disliking lugging the heavy **** around just so a soundman can ask me to please turn it down alittle.

is the stock vj powerfull enough to play live with a marshall 412 @8ohm i've been eyeing the vj for a long time but not shure if its enough for live.do any of you use them in a gig situation?getting older and disliking lugging the heavy **** around just so a soundman can ask me to please turn it down alittle.

If thats the case,then why haul around a 412 cab when you only mic 1x12 anyway? If you gig with sound reinforcement the JR will do fine and the soundmen will love you for it. If you play without reinforcement and have to play over a loud drummer it probably won't cut it for you. The only real weakness is clean headroom as I see it....the lead tones are plenty loud mic'd up!

Yep, I'd think 1x12 would do it.. I think some would want it elevated..

and old milk carton would be about right.

Not that I'm suggesting you cruise by the grocery store at 4 am.

Or that a motel luggage stand disappear.

But it'll push a 4x12.

A 2x12 on end would look good, be fuller, and not require any more height.

If you want to use the 4x12 rather than buy a new one.. the VJ ought to be ok.

TWANG

thankx for the info.i've played the vj at the music store but its kinda hard to tell couse everything seems load there.i don't mind the lack of headroom as i like a crunchy type of clean ala volume roll back on the guitar type you knowit seems load as hell(in the store)around 8 or up to full.i love the awsome crunch i get with an epi les paul,sweet as can be.one other thing is i here the version#3 is the better ot.how do i tell ver.#1,ver.#2,ver.#3?or does it matter sense i can always swap out the ot.or is there other things too like a better stock board or something like that.i really want to pull the trigger on this but "i'ma scared".

there's no doubt that the hammond 125ESE is a better OT even than the V3's, which is now very much better than earlier OT's.

You'll get a big whoop on the low end, for example. (not bad.. good!) And, overall better tone as well.

I think the V3 has 68K on R2.. a simple swap down to 10K.. you can use 33K or other.. will help a lot.

You can tell V3 by no lines on the power switch.. and the black instead of green pcb board inside.

don't accept the green board model at the black models price!

generally, jj el84 and sovtek 12ax7lps tubes are considered a very good improvement.

Anything more depends really on what you like/dislike about it.. but I'd try it with the stock OT for a while.. since you like the sound already..

and then change that only if you want to start getting into the thing.

If I thought you were going to start seriously modifying, I'd say do the OT right off. But why spend 35.00 or better if you don't really need to?

So.. test it out a while. then see what you think!

TWANG

thats it i'm buying it.with all the mods avaliable and the help with it from this forum i don't think i can go wrong.i will post my thoughts and such after i get her home and play on it a while.and i will check to make sure the unit is ver.#3 before i buy it.thankx .

Archived