Gibson Brands Forums

What Size Cabinet

sexygibson

I am in the market for a new amp. I have checked out all the major players; Fender, Vox, Marshall, and Mesa Boogie. I just read some great reviews on The Tiny Terror all tube head from Orange. It is switchable from 7 to 15 watts. What size cabinet would be ideal for this little monster ? A 1X12 ?

like i said i don't own one but have played through one quite a bit.they have fantastic range of tone very dynamic pick responce creammy distortion pretty dam good volume built like a tank.if you can afford one they are well worth the price of$549 were i'm at.a great beast of an amp IMOP.alot like a thd only half the price.but if price is'nt main concern the thd flexi 50is an absolute killing machine but the price will knock a buzzard off a **** wagon $1900 ouch!i'm fortunate to play through some really great gear but unfortunatly i have to eat.another truly great amp that i once owned and like a dumb *** traded for a marshall was a mesa studio caliber(dc 20)112 20 watt tone to the bone combo the very best sounding amp i've ever played through period.

Thanks for the info Slagg. I haven't had the chance to play through the Orange so I would be buying it sight unseen; or shoud I say unheard.

I can understand you kicking yourself for trading your Mesa. I have tried to pick one up on Ebay but always get outbid. Those little amps are hard to come by.

I dont know very much about the Blackhearts Twang but what I've read hasn't been that great. I hear that with the Orange head one can get almost metal type gain without pedals and lots of tonal options.

about the blackheart,the thing that shy's me away is its mfg'd.buy crate.every crate i've incountered falls apart,bad solder joints,cheapo pots ect.bought a power block,had it home for about an hour and the gain pot broke.took it back asap!

Thanks Slagg. I've just learned that theres a Orange dealer about 15 miles frome me so I'm gonna give em' a call and see if they have the Tiny Terror in stock.

Know what you mean about Crate. I have heard some good things about Crates new tube amps though but I havent played thru one.

Know what you mean about Crate. I have heard some good things about Crates new tube amps though but I havent played thru one.

I played through a Crate Palamino V16 that a friend of mine bought a while back and I wasn't impressed. Clean it sounded okay, but when I kicked on my TS-9 it sounded really harsh. I tried playing with various settings on the amp but I couldn't get a warm sound out of it. The pots on it were bad too, scratchy. They look nice, but that's about it.

I called the nearest dealer and he says he will have the " Tiny Terror " head in stock the second week of March. I am going to take him a deposit for one next week. I am also going to get the Orange 1X12 cab. Will post a review after spending some time on it.

about the blackheart' date='the thing that shy's me away is its mfg'd.buy crate.every crate i've incountered falls apart,bad solder joints,cheapo pots ect.bought a power block,had it home for about an hour and the gain pot broke.took it back asap![/quote']

Actually, Blackheart is distributed by crate, but it's manufactured in the same factory as the epi VJs, I believe.

Normally, though, I think you're right. once Crate moved their production overseas, their QC slipped dramatically.

I played on a Crate Palomino and loved it... different strokes I guess.

I have a mid-90s all-tube Turbovalve 6210 (60WX2, 2X10") from Crate that I've had tinkered with by an amp maker near Louisville. I'm using EL-34s and emminence speakers and it sounds extremely marshall-like with the distortion, and I absolutely LOVE my 5 watt Blackheart head through an emminence in a 1X12" cabinet.

By the same token, I tried a blue voodoo that just sounded like nothing but fuzz.

At my local today I played thru a So-Cal head that sounds just awesome. That was also thru the stock Epi 4x12 cab. I really wish Epi would build the So-Cal in smaller, combo type amps as the head is just more than I need. Sure fun to play thru though !

Archived