Gibson Brands Forums

Happy New Amp Day For Me!!!

Cole

It's like Christmas in February. I just got home with my valve junior half stack. Oh my gosh

it sounds soooo good. With my V1 combo I couldn't even use my neck pickup cause the

muddy bass but i now like the neck pup more than the bridge. I want to mod it but i don't

see how the tone could possibly improve but i probably still will. I love my new Vj half stack.

P.S. It doesn't have marks on the on off switch and the serial # is 14 #'s so it is V3 right?

Yep. V3. The OT will also have a label on the top that says it's 5k. And if you peek inside, it'll have a black pc board. Many of the mods are subtle tweaks to the basic character of the tone you now have. For something both useful and dramatic, add a tone pot.

If you're wall voltage is high, like 120-125V AC, do the power rail and bias mods. It won't change the tone, but it will improve tube life.

Gil...

I will probably put in a bitmo tweaky and brat. possibly a standby switch. I'm really interested

in what i read on the sewatt forum about a lot of people bypassing R6 for a gain boost. Right

now though i need to get a weber attenuator then in a month or so i may start warming up

the sottering iron. i will also try to find more info on this R6 gain boost and maybe try it out. For

now though i need to go play my new amp some more.

Gil' date=' What tone stack do you suggest for the EVJ and where are the directions? [/quote']

The basic, single knob, tweed tone pot is the best choice for any low gain 2-tube amp like the VJr. It's a very low loss circuit, and can in fact actually increase gain. All other 2 and 3 knob tone stacks have high gain loss factors of -15 to -25db's to contend with, and will severely limit the potential of an amp like this unless you add another 12ax7 to the amp to compensate for the losses of a full TMB tone stack. http://amps.zugster.net/articles/tone-stacks#Garnet

If you want actual Slot-A and Tab-B instructions, you'll just have to buy the BitMo kits. The rare few that aren't too lazy to organize step-by-step info typically end up selling their instructions on ebay anyway; so around here we just try to point folks in the right direction... kinda like college, only better. The course is free, the info is free, and there's no tuition or even a roll call. :D/ Many of us got a kickstart into the world of modding from guys selling kits like BitMo. But after you realize how easy it all is, you'll most likely be buying those same parts dirt cheep, doing the research, and digging into the vast library of amp schematics for ideas to explore. Just like the rest of us.

Oh, and by the way, ... in advance of your new addiction (to modding amps) I'd like to say...

welcome to the asylum! O:)

Gil...

O:) Mine has Bitmo mods. Gain Switch, Brite Switch and a Standby too - I also replaced the tubes with JJ Tubes and this baby rocks. I've been using mine lately with a Korg AX5G Multi-effects pedal and the ability to add Reverb, Delay/Chorus, etc is nice and actually makes the VJ head a lil' monster... I also play the VJ through an old 1966 Multivox "gutted" combo cab with an original Rola 12" speaker. Sounds great.

Archived