Gibson Brands Forums

Presidents sale, who got new toys?

thunderstruck507

I don't think they were having a sale but I got a Marshall MG10 40 watt amp at my local mom and pop store today for $75.00. This little thing just screams! I can't believe how loud it is. And it's the perfect size. Not too big.

Went into Guitar Ctr. to get a Sunburst Special 2 player pack .They were out so "salesman" pieced together guitar(blk/ylw sunburst) Marshall MG10 amp, Korg electronic tuner, kaces gig bag, picks,and cord and gave me "a deal" $230

I know I did'nt get a strap but I was excited so I'll just have to go back and see if he'll fix me up. He told me I got an upgrade on all the stuff so....

I'll agree that the MG10 does something extra when you punch the little black button but with it's 6.5 inch speaker is it better than the Epiphone 10w amp with it's 8in. speaker? Is it, in fact, an upgrade?

I'm almost 46 and gave up on trying to learn with a Squire Strat about 14 yrs ago . I'm interested in learning '60's pop/rock stuff but am open to most anything.....ANY advice/encouragement will be appreciated.

I don't know if it is an upgrade because I don't know what the Epi 10w has on it. I know that some of those player packs have the Epi 15R amp which I believe has more on it like reverb and stuff. And I said mine was a 40 watt when I meant to say 10 watt. Anyways like Thunder said any new gear is awesome. Have fun with your new toys and welcome to the forum! And just keep playing no matter how bad your fingers bleed!

I don't know if it is an upgrade because I don't know what the Epi 10w has on it. I know that some of those player packs have the Epi 15R amp which I believe has more on it like reverb and stuff. And I said mine was a 40 watt when I meant to say 10 watt.
I don't know about Epi 10w either, but the Epi 15R amp is 15w through an 8" speaker, 2 inputs (1 high, 1 low), "overdrive", 3 band equalizer, reverb, "effects loop", and a 1/4" headphone jack. Not bad, nothing particularly special ....good lil amp for practicing alone

OK, maybe it will arrive tomorrow. BTW, yesterday I ran my VJH into 2x12, Eminence Private Jack and Celestion Gold Back. The Celestion has the sweetest clean tones and together with the smoothness of the Private Jack, this is a combination that is hard to beat. Overdrive is silky smooth. I haven't stopped grinning since I hooked this up. This is GOOD STUFF!

Well,I didn't go to Guitar (evil empire)Center,but I was able to find on Craig's list,a Epiphone Sunburst,Les Paul Jr. with a Dimarzio in the Pup position,along with a Kaces gig bag,for only $75.00.Frickin' sweet!

Epiphone Les Paul Jr. Sunburst

Fender Telecaster Custom

2006, 60 th. Anniversary Fender Strat

1997 USA Made, Peavey Studio Pro 112

Digitech RP 50 Guitar effects processor.

Nicest mini-amp I've seen lately is the Traynor DG15R. 15 watts, genuine Celestion 10" speaker, genuine spring reverb (none of that digital chepooka) and all for $149 Canadian. Kicks major butt.

Didn't buy any new gear lately but I have managed to work off the debt on that Epi LP Special I bought before christmas... next purchase will be a pair of SD P-90s methinks.

Well as I'm sure some of you are tired of hearing,I'm still totally jazzed about the little Behringer Vintager AC108 amp that brown dropped off last thursday.I shot a demo video which can be seen on the " And Ampage for All" thread,using this for a mic:

Picture115.jpg

Totally forgot to demo the clean channel however.

Now I gotta admit,the Blackheart demo on the same thread got me to gassin for one of those.

But for $80 shipped this little amp has some amazing tones outta its 8in speaker.

In my opinion its one of the best practice amps out there!!!

I'm thinking of getting another one so I can run w my stereo pedal.

And no I don't work for Behringer.I just think this was an awesome deal.

Arrived today! Very different sound from the Epi Valve Junior Head...

Ran it with the usual combinations, 2x12 Eminence/Celestion, 2x12 Vox Neodogs, 4x12 combination. In direct comparison (and limited break-in), it is tighter, has more bite, better definition, is louder overall. The multiple speaker taps are confusing. I think it goes - if you have 1 8-ohm speaker use 1 8-ohm tap, but if you have 2 8-ohm speakers, you have to use 2 4-ohm taps!. There are 2 4-ohm taps, 2 8-ohm taps and 1 16-ohm tap. Yeah.

Overall sound? The single word description that comes to mind is: "controlled". Bass from VJH sounds less defined, wooly and slightly muffled. You know how you can adjust guitar tone/volume and make the VJH sound either Fenderish or Marshally? The Blackheart sounds like a miniture Bassman 4x10. Period. Has that same suckout, clean or overdriven. Real chimey with strong, tight bottom when clean, especially neck or combination. Can get a bit icepicky if you dial in too much treble. Overdrive feels natural, comes on evenly and smoothly. Real nice anywhere from 2 to 3 o'clock on the amp volume. Good tone changes with guitar volume and tone knobs. Smooth, thick creamy OD with a hint of chime - think Bassman, seriously - usable tones especially combination pickups neck anywhere 2-7/volume 0-7/tone and bridge 5-10/volume 5-10 /tone.

Whitey004.jpg

Early impression? If you like the VJH, but wanted just a bit more - get one of these. $150? Pfui. Buy 2, they're worth it.

Last week I picked up some...well, pickups....lol....a Dimarzio PAF and a SD Alnico II for my nephews Washburn P II, gonna be my 1st pup install.... this week I have a Reverend amp on hold, I forget the model but its a 5/15 watt tube amp with a skitzo setting??

Archived