Gibson Brands Forums

Prettiest guitar finish?

bluefoxicy

Actually, when I went to pick up the Goldtop, they had a real nice Classic Quilt in Trans Amber that looked pretty good. Christ, for what I paid for the Gibson, I coulda got 3 Epi's, but when I saw the Gibson, it spoke to me, it said,"here comes a red-hot one now!"...or maybe that was the guy behind the counter, I dunno. Nah, I'm kidding, I have no regrets at all coppin' that Gibson, it's a keeper! And Antwhi...that's a SUH-FRIKKIN-WEET Telecaster you got, I bet it sounds bangin'!

Woah! What's goin on with that LP' date=' RotcanX?

Is that a copy or something? It has a really sharp horn...[/quote']

While it is constructed entirely using the same techniques as a '59 Les Paul, and has pretty much all Gibson hardware including a Burstbucker I/II set-up, it is not a Les Paul. It is in fact a one-off prototype guitar, hand built in 2000.

overall.jpg

What's the prettiest guitar finish you've ever seen? The pic Matiac has in his sig is pretty impressive; I'm not sure what finish that is but it's wonderful. I've also seen this one' date=' which looks... awesome...

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&itemNumber=LPCP145

(body.. find the rest of the parts and you can build a guitar)

I've had my eyes on a color-changing Epi LP Studio Chameleon blue/green too; I hear the pictures don't do the finish justice.[/quote']

And Blue (I forgot), it's transparent blue burst on a quilt veneer.

While it is constructed entirely using the same techniques as a '59 Les Paul' date=' and has pretty much all Gibson hardware including a Burstbucker I/II set-up, it is not a Les Paul. It is in fact a one-off prototype guitar, hand built in 2000.

[img']http://www.marantatech.com/Graphix/overall.jpg[/img]

Brian Monty if I recall...

I do have a question for you...

How plentiful are the old Traynor YBA-1 Bass Master heads in Canada especially in southern Ontario (Windsor to T.O.) and what price range are they? It seems that a relatively simple mod turns them into 50 watt Plexi Super Leads..(uh huh). It used to be that it was a half hour to grab some Bradors before HNIC or bounce over to the Windsor Ballet but now it's at least two hours at the border and there's no Bradors to be had and the ballet doesn't have the same appeal as it did in my twenties and thirties... but I've never had a bad time in Toronto.. well, that I remember anyway... and if it was worth my while to make the trip and maybe pick up an amp reasonably priced...There was an article in the March Vintage Guitar about them so the price has probably tripled by now...anyway, any info you could offer would be appreciated.

...and Al's your uncle.

As you say. They are slowly disappearing and the cost for one is on the rise... We had one for sale in our store a few months back, I think it went for around $600 including a 2 X 12 or 15 (not sure) bass cab. I picked one up a little before that.. waiting for parts to start with the modding. Don't really see 'em too often and the owners tend to think they are worth some kind of fortune now. I'm out by the Ottawa river so the situation may be different in TO... but better or worse, I cannot say.

And yep, it's a Monty.

As you say. They are slowly disappearing and the cost for one is on the rise... We had one for sale in our store a few months back' date=' I think it went for around $600 including a 2 X 12 or 15 (not sure) bass cab. I picked one up a little before that.. waiting for parts to start with the modding. Don't really see 'em too often and the owners tend to think they are worth some kind of fortune now. I'm out by the Ottawa river so the situation may be different in TO... but better or worse, I cannot say.

And yep, it's a Monty.[/quote']

Exactly as I feared. Thanx. There's a local shop that had just a YBA-1 head for $400 that I thought was kinda high but even it has now vanished since the VG article came out. Thanx again.

...and Al's your uncle.

Archived