Gibson Brands Forums

Leads on Volume Pot....?

Zoki

Hey

I'm going to go ahead and try the tweed tone on the vox mod and have it rolling of the treble, but have not been able to get the the thing working so it adds treble on the opposite sweep...

Now the one bit of information I can't seem to come up with here is a simple explanation of what the leads on the back of the volume pot are to be sure I've got the thing wired in right - and also where the best place to run the lead to ground to is...right now I've got it going to the nib on on the input, but am thinking maybe jp2 is a better place......

So, the questions I have are.....

say I'm facing the stock volume pot from the back of the amp - which is my input, output and ground there - are one's labeled sig and g input and ground and the other the output?

also, I've got an A500k pot in there and it seems to be fine but quieter as the treble rolls of - is this because I'm not using a 1m pot and can I use the 1m linear taper from the rat shack instead?

Thanks!

Looking at the back of the pot with the solder lugs facing up, the solder lug on the right is the signal in. The middle lug is the signal out/wiper, ground the lug on the left. I've had problems with the pots' casings picking up noise. If you need to ground them run a wire from the back of the pots to the grounding bolt on the VJ.

There was an excellent drawing posted on the Sewatt.com VJ board a while back that shows you how to wire a tweed tone control.

tung

Hey

I'm going to go ahead and try the tweed tone on the vox mod and have it rolling of the treble' date=' but have not been able to get the the thing working so it adds treble on the opposite sweep...

Now the one bit of information I can't seem to come up with here is a simple explanation of what the leads on the back of the volume pot are to be sure I've got the thing wired in right - and also where the best place to run the lead to ground to is...right now I've got it going to the nib on on the input, but am thinking maybe jp2 is a better place......

So, the questions I have are.....

say I'm facing the stock volume pot from the back of the amp - which is my input, output and ground there - are one's labeled sig and g input and ground and the other the output?

also, I've got an A500k pot in there and it seems to be fine but quieter as the treble rolls of - is this because I'm not using a 1m pot and can I use the 1m linear taper from the rat shack instead?

Thanks!

[/quote']

• 2 weeks later...

Alright#-o

I'm about fed up with this tweed tone control - at this point I've tried over and over and checked and rechecked and either the darn thing just doesn't sound that good or - and this is what I'm wondering......is it possible that the mallory .0047uf i'm using is not actually the equivalent of a 4700pf cap in this application?

Oh - a little additional info is that what I'm hearing is that on one end of the sweep I'm not getting the extra lows I'd like and on the other side the treble just is too much for this vox mod - in fact I could do with out the addition of treble if someone could help me get this thing tuned with the low end side of things - in fact it's not that I need it to add low end per say, but need it to roll of the extra high end that kicks in as the volume gets cranked......

Any help or insight here?

Thanks!

Archived