Gibson Brands Forums

Need Help With an Elite

hero_of_the_day_2004

So I'm selling my Elitist on ebay. It actually says that it's an Elite in the back of the headstock. I know the story about why Epi had to change it to Elitist. But, I was under the impression that they were still the exact same gutiars. Someone on ebay is kind of arguing with me, saying that there are differences. So I was wondering if there are. I don't want to rip someone off here. So if there are differences, I want to put them into my ebay listing. Thanks.

So I'm selling my Elitist on ebay. It actually says that it's an Elite in the back of the headstock. I know the story about why Epi had to change it to Elitist. But' date=' I was under the impression that they were still the exact same gutiars. Someone on ebay is kind of arguing with me, saying that there are differences. So I was wondering if there are. I don't want to rip someone off here. So if there are differences, I want to put them into my ebay listing. Thanks.[/quote']

Same thing. He might be confused because Epiphone made a semi-hollow Les Paul called the Elite in the 90s, that was entirely different and had nothing to do with the Elite/Elitist line.

Same thing. He might be confused because Epiphone made a semi-hollow Les Paul called the Elite in the 90s' date=' that was entirely different and had nothing to do with the Elite/Elitist line.[/quote']

Thanks. I told the guy that if he would tell me the difference and give me a source, I'd post it in the listing. I doubt he will though. Especially since there is no difference.

Winddrake; can you post a link to your auction here ? I would be intersted in seeing the guitar and maybe bid on it.

Here she is: http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Elitist-Les-Paul-Standard-Elite_W0QQitemZ230224980150QQihZ013QQcategoryZ33037QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I went ahead and added Elite to the title. Don't want to seem like I'm trying to be sneaky.

Same guitars. You might want to save your breath arguing with this guy. He'll never be satisfied with the guitar unless you virtually give it to him.

Good luck.

Yeah. He just sent me an email saying that he had tried to sell one on ebay and got in trouble for calling it an elitist. He said he called Epiphone and they told him that the electronics were better in the Elitists. I told him that was untrue and not even arguable since you can look online and find out what electronics are in them. This was his response:

yeah i was to much of a rookie back then...

live and learn.

this is a nice rig though and i'll keep watching

The difference is the absence of an "e" and the addition of an "ist".

The name Elite was changed to Elitist for the same reason Broadcaster was changed to Telecaster: the name was already being used by another company.

You got to admit, it's better to be "elite" than "elitist". No one would change the name the name from one to the other if they did have to!

I did not look at the guitar in question on eBay, so JerryMac is probably right as to the source of confusion, but it's possible your eBay arguer may be confusing Orville, Orville by Gibson, or Epiphone Japan guitars with the Elite/Elitist series. While sharing some similarities, the Elitist series has more desireable Gibson USA pickups, while the others do not.

Red 333

Archived