Gibson Brands Forums

Resistor values, something I can use?

Riffster

So I have a few resistors from the 60's from my grandpa's stash and wanted to use them but my cheap mulitmeter cannot measure them, the lowest measurable value is 100ohms so I went to the "name that resistor" in the 101 thread, here is what I have:

One resistor 5 ohms, 10%

Two resistors 330 M ohms, 10%

One resistor 54 M ohms, 2%

And Two resistors 100 ohms, 10% (these two have different colors and number of stripes but same result)

This maybe a stupid question but can I use any of these in my EVJH?

I went back home a month ago and completely forgot to bring all the vintage resistor and caps that belonged to my grandfather, iamanidiot...

Any help is appreciated..

I'm not sure you want to use them. It's not like they haven't improved over the years. they may be carbon composition which is noisy, they may be 1/4 watt or 5 watt..

Some old stuff is cool. for instance old carbon comp resisitors have the mojo.. but you can only use them at R4.

Old caps can be leaky...

I think some have used a 100 ohm somewhere.. can't remember.

but 500M ohms? nope.

I guess I'm also thinking at .20 apeice why not have new resistors?

TWANG

I see, the only reason I would like to incorporate them (or at least one) is pure nostalgia, my grandfather was a electronics technician many years ago, he passed away like 20 years ago.

Maybe the resistors and caps that are left over are the ones that are not very useful to build amps.

I have no idea how carbon resistors look but this is a picture of one of the ones I have:

Guitars049.jpg

I'll stop by Radio Shack and get a couple of new resistors.

Thanks for the answers...

That looks like a typical shape and dark brown body color of a carbon comp to me. Can't tell from the size. Could you take a picture of a modern 1/2w or 1w carbon film (tan) resistor sitting next to it to compare it to.

Gil...

Well I stopped by Radio Shack at lunch time and since they did not have a 1M in small packages I ended up buying an assorted pack with 100 resistors. I figured I would avoid the hassle of keep looking and shipping charges if I bought online. The $6.50 I paid is worth it...

The only thing is that the assorted pack is 1/2 watt value, that's all they had, if there is any reason the 1/2 watt value is not going to work out let me know before I open the package...

Gil the resistor in the picture is about 5 times the size of a modern resistor like the one on R1. I kick myslef for not having brought all of rest of the vintage stuff with me. It is going to be May before I go back...

Well I stopped by Radio Shack at lunch time and since they did not have a 1M in small packages I ended up buying an assorted pack with 100 resistors. I figured I would avoid the hassle of keep looking and shipping charges if I bought online. The $6.50 I paid is worth it...

The only thing is that the assorted pack is 1/2 watt value' date=' that's all they had, if there is any reason the 1/2 watt value is not going to work out let me know before I open the package...

Gil the resistor in the picture is about 5 times the size of a modern resistor like the one on R1. I kick myslef for not having brought all of rest of the vintage stuff with me. It is going to be May before I go back...[/quote']

Yeah it would have been cool to have yer grandpas stuff in there!

1/2 watt is fine for most places.. but not for all.

where do you want to use them?

R1 takes 1M, and 1/2 watt is fine.

R2 ok for 1/2 Watt.

I think 1/2 Watt is ok for anywhere near the tube sockets.. but not next to the capacitors.

Are they all carbon film? most people use metallized.. blue instead of light brown. but you do see a lot of stock resistors left in, and they are carbon film, too, so YMMV!

Thanks for the answers...they are the light brown, they look exactly like the stock ones.

Another question is, I plan to do the spanky mod from bitmo. Is changing R1 and R2 part of that kit? obviously I do not want ot overlap my mods an spnd more than I need to.

aha! I have one of those RESISTORS in an old 60's Multivox Tube Amp - it was an awesome sounding sucker - retubed it and was using it a lot. It's all point to point, etc and it blew my fuse - replaced it - blew again - but I noticed one of those things (I'm not an electronics type of dude - but I'm great with electrical, etc. 110/220) was "Arcing" before it blew... can I replace it or is it a symptom of another problem? I can solder OK but can't really troubleshoot electronics.

Archived