Gibson Brands Forums

Big Question...?

TehLesPaulZorz

See? Fewer 3-pickup players than left-handed players of the same genre. So, do you want to be one of the heard? or one of the herd? On the other hand, there has to be a reason so few players used these guitars, but unless it is strings rattling on the center pup I have no idea what it is. Dang, I'm just sooo helpful sometimes.

With a custom, you get three tones: Lead, Lead + Rhythm, and Rhythm. With a Balck Beauty,you get three tones: Lead, Lead +Middle, and Rhythm. So if you ask me you're shelling out extra dinero for a tiny almost imperceptively different middle position sound and in the bargain you get an instrument that's a bit uncomfortable to play due to the third pickup under your picking hand.

Does this answer your question?

I admit I'm a two pickup guy.. but a person ought to see readily that the middle pickups position is something one can overcome, and well ought to be able to.

I also pick a bit at the idea they aren't much different in sound.. I sure think they are more than imperceptive, by a longshot, in fact.

The other thing is this.. most people swap those pups out eventually.. whether they need to or not, typically!

and with a couple of push pull pots.. four conductor wiring..

you have options galore, tuned to your own needs, that are more with a three pup guitar.

It's always a hard dream for me.. and I do fantasize my fave epi purchases now and then. these two come up all the time.

I change my mind every time!

See? Fewer 3-pickup players than left-handed players of the same genre. So' date=' do you want to be one of the heard? or one of the herd? On the other hand, there has to be a reason so few players used these guitars, but unless it is strings rattling on the center pup I have no idea what it is. Dang, I'm just sooo helpful sometimes.

[/quote']

hmm..strings rattling on the center p_up...maybe, but esthetically it just looks "too busy".

But then doesn't a strat have a center pup?

I dunno, other than some possible unique out-of-phase p_up tone mixes

on the center position, when you blend the bridge and center..or maybe the other

way around. However, you still need push-pull tone pots to flip the coils around.

Archived