Gibson Brands Forums

Effects and Settings

Doth

Hello Everybody,

I thought it would be interesting to hear what types of effects that everyone uses and the settings you use to get specific sounds.

I currently have a Digitech GNX 3 that I rarely use.

Dunlop Wah that i rarely use

Boss DD-6 that is pretty cool

Boss SD-1

Boss DS-1

I rarely use them, but I will write down the settings when I get home to obtain specific sounds, such as Angus, Eddie, etc.

Thanks,

Doth

My effects chain is a little absurd for daily use, and obviously not all of these are on all the time, but here goes:

Amps: Peavey ValveKing 112 or Crate RFX30

Pedals, in order from amp to guitar:

BBE Sonic Maximizer (always on)

Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb (only used with the Crate)

VOX Wah

ProCo Rat

DOD Deathmetal

DOD Grunge

Ibanez Flanger soundtank

Peterson StroboStomp 2 tuner

I use an old digitech rp7 floor multi.. I've used them for years. and I like the 12ax7 tube in them.

what i like to do is set every effect as light as possible.. just barely audible..

reverb more toward ambience.. makes for fat notes.. delays, the same.. light and tight..

those two alone will make your sound real phat, and a lot of players don't even realize you have them on.

Same with pitch effects. I like a little detune, esp on some solos.. and on rhythm work.. really adds to the cut, without being all wooshy sounding.

I will use the compressor with effects.. but I prefer no effects at all, because I hate to trade in the dynamics I get off the amp.

My VJ is doing everything else, really. But occaisionally I will use the clean and overdriven rp7s tube. when I want a little more of something, and the eq is handy and quiet.

mostly though, I just like fingers strings and tubes.

TWANG

Line 6 Constrictor compressor

Ibanez Turbo Tube Screamer

Ibanez FZ7 fuzz

Behringer VD1 (big muff clone)

Danelectro Fab Distortion

Electro Harmonix Holy Stain

Just got the Holy Stain pedal a few weeks ago, and it's an incredible value for the money. Seriously contends to be the only pedal I use.

These days I mostly use the Screamer on Turbo mode to drive the other distortions. Seriously improves the dynamics of the Behringer fuzz and gives a little Marshall-esque breakup to the Fab distortion. Absolutely destroys the Ibanez fuzz, which is perfect for occasional outbursts of sweet noisy bliss. The compressor really only gets used when I'm playing single coils, which isn't too often, because it eats batteries for breakfast but is too noisy with a power supply.

Hello Everybody' date='

I thought it would be interesting to hear what types of effects that everyone uses and the settings you use to get specific sounds.

I currently have a Digitech GNX 3 that I rarely use.

Dunlop Wah that i rarely use

Boss DD-6 that is pretty cool

Boss SD-1

Boss DS-1

Doth[/quote']

Well, I'm experimenting myself with a Berhringer CS-3 Compressor/Sustainer pedal to try and get

more sustain out of my Epi LP Custom. I'm plugging into the CS-3 and then into a digital processor (PODxT)

that allows me to select amps and cabinet models for a better bluesy sound, but so

far, it's still under experimentation. I really like the Fender Blues Deluxe and may be

going for one next this year, but right now, I'm fiddling with p_ups after hearing

Gary Moore play Parisienne Walkways on Youtube. He (originally)was using Peter Greens '59 LP

that (supposedly) had a "trick" neck p_up with a flipped around coil (out of phase),

give it that nasal sound. I took apart an old Epi p_up and did the same thing...

close, but still no cigar...I want more sustain,but not necessarily to hold note for

20 secs like Gary Moore does..just a bit more than what I have so far.

I play a wide variety of styles so I use a Boss ME-50 because it is so simple to use. For some crunch I like the screamer and OD-2 settings, the delays are good, and when needed I use the rotary modulation. I run this through a Hughes & Kettner tube amp, for the real Hi gain stuff I use the Hi gain channel, that kicks some butt. But when possible I love to play clean with a touch of the onboard reverb. Sweet.

J.T.Pedals VALVEBOY into digitech rp150 eq only to scoop the mid about -4 into a marshall lead 100 mosfet half stack gain half up 12:00 bass 12:00 mid 9:00 treb 2:00 blues chnl of valveboy gets a great ac/dc and the aggressive chnl ozzy zakk wylde.mega tones from one little box.if you can find one of these pedals jump on it,it is the best od money can buy imo.

Pedals - I love my pedals and I use them a lot. This is my chain:

Guitar >

Boss TU-2 Tuner >

Keeley Compressor >

Vox V-848 Clyde McCoy Wah >

Modified Ibanez TS9 >

Modified Ibanez TS9 >

Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb >

Modified Boss GE-7 Equalizer >

Boss CE-5 Chorus >

Boss DD-5 Digital Delay >

Fulltone Supa-Trem >

Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe >

Ernie Ball VP Jr Volume Pedal >

A/B Box >

Tube Amp with Celestion Vintage 30(s) - I really like a Marshall sound. I have a DSL 100 and two Weber Marshall clones I built, as well as a Hot Rod Deluxe Emerald Green with Vintage 30.

I run my amps clean and use pedals to get the sound that I want. I use a volume pedal to adjust the volume and also to get a violin type of sound. By using a volume pedal the overdrive channel doesn't work well for the violin type of effect I like to get. In order to get the sound I like form my overdrive channels on my amps I have to be running the volume pedal wide open, but then I can't ease into that violin effect. That's where the TS9s come in. I have modified them to my liking. I had a Lovepedal Eternity for a while. It is a great pedal, but I got the TS9s to sound almost exactly like it, at about 1/3 of the price, so I sold it. I can get anything from a great creamy Santana sound to SRV. The GE-7 and Keeley really fatten the sound out on my TS9s and give me great sustain. I also like a hint of delay and reverb on my overdrive to fatten the sound out also. Once you have found the sound you like, there is nothing like it. O:)

I have a bunch of pedals; delays, choruses, phasers and overdrives that I sometimes swap in or out.

It really depends on the song and or the gig but in general I use:

1. TS - 808 (a real one)

2. Morely wah-wah

3. Dean Markley Rack mounted 2 ch tube pre-amp (modded)

4. Ibanez rack mounted digital delay (as a chorus in the effects loop of the Dean Markley)

I also have a first generation Line 6 POD that I use for gigs where I line straight in without an amp.

Guitar - Epiphone Les Paul Standard with GFS FAT PAF's (Got a Strat on layaway, $145 to go, this week its mine!)

Behringer Tuner TU100

Thomas Organ Cry Baby (modded)

Danelectro Fab Flange

Danelectro Fab Chorus

Danelectro Fab Echo

Danelectro Fab Distortion

Danelectro Fab Metal

Vox AD30 VT

Also have a 2x12 cab I'm in the process of building, just waiting to get the funds to by the speakers.

And I don't care what people say about the low priced Danelectro pedals. Hell, they cost $20 or less and they sound decent enough once you get them dialed in. Although I don't really like where the put the knobs.

Looks like there a lots of foot pedal junkies out there. Wah, distortion etc.

I looked at a stomp board equipped with a bunch of different pedals at my local guitar store and it

looked pretty busy with 10 pedals mounted on it.

I don't know how you guys know which ones to tromp on, when you are play some licks or riffs

and need some different accents on those at real time.

I use a light delay that's built into my Vox AD50VT and occasionally I use the leslie rotary and chorus and reverb. Other than that, the only pedal I use is a fender tuner in the chain from my AKG wireless to the amp. It's a shame that the Vox isn't more programmable. I'd like to be able to program the effects in a half dozen combinations. Channel 1 is programmed clean with a little reverb and the Black 2x12 model. Channel two is the Tweed 4x10 with some overdrive. That way I can back off on the guitar volume to get clean and crank it up to get tube-like distortion.

If I need heavy distortion, I flip over to the UK80's model and rip away.

Well, I've been busy tuning out the bugs in my Marshall 8040 Valvestate amp... the speaker was fubar in it and there were a lot of issues with dirty pots and broken solder connections in the input jack... thought I had it all in order with a new Eminence 12" in it but it still would cut out intermittently on me... I was starting to think the thing was beyond hope until I finally realized that the preamp out/power amp in/line out jacks just needed to have their contacts cleaned... but I guess I can't complain for $50.

Basically I'm running into a BBE Green Screamer overdrive (I used to use a Digitech Bad Monkey but I traded it for a Gibson 498R pickup), then over to a BBE Sonic Stomp sonic maximizer, then to a Marshall Echohead delay with the main output to the Valvestate and the second output going into a 25-watt Park solid state amp that somebody gave me. The Echohead is going in for warranty work as it seems to stop working every now and then until you power it down and up again (weird) but there you have it. Trying to get my DOD Milkbox compressor into the chain but I think it and the Screamer don't like each other; also when I feel the need for monster distortion I'll pop a Boss Metal Zone into the chain between the BBEs.

Amp: Peavey Valveking 112 with Eminence Speaker, MXR M-108 through FX loop.

Boss BCB60 board with the following in order:

Boss TU-2 Tuner

Ibanez TS-9 with Keeley Plus Mod

Boss Chorus ensemble

MXR EVH Phase90

Boss Flanger

Boss DD-3 Delay

Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb

Boss NS-2 Noise Gate

Well' date=' I've been busy tuning out the bugs in my Marshall 8040 Valvestate amp... the speaker was fubar in it and there were a lot of issues with dirty pots and broken solder connections in the input jack... thought I had it all in order with a new Eminence 12" in it but it still would cut out intermittently on me... I was starting to think the thing was beyond hope until I finally realized that the preamp out/power amp in/line out jacks just needed to have their contacts cleaned... but I guess I can't complain for $50.

.[/quote']

I bought a Marshall 8040 a few years ago from another musician who wanted to buy a Fender Blues Deville. I always wanted a Marshall. I could never seem to get anything but a mid range tone from that amp. The bass control hardly made any difference and I just never was able to find a sweet spot in the EQ. I sold it on consignment when I bought the Roland Cube 60. It was a pretty amp, though. It looked good on stage (grin).

Well, one of the weird things I had to fix on mine included a normal channel volume that was always "full" no matter where you dialed it. Basically I cracked the sucker open and re-soldered all the connections to the pots and that problem went away. I'd guess something similar was happening on yours. Actually I'm fairly pleased with the sound of this thing; it's no JCM 800 but for what it cost I can't complain.

Archived